2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
I have it done to my 2nd gen.

I had to add two wires to the stock fog harness one to the positive and one to the negative. and run them to a ground and the other to a add a fuse in the fuse box and I have that hooked into one of the EngInj fuses. Then just don't connect the stock harness up and just run it this way.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have it done to my 2nd gen.

I had to add two wires to the stock fog harness one to the positive and one to the negative. and run them to a ground and the other to a add a fuse in the fuse box and I have that hooked into one of the EngInj fuses. Then just don't connect the stock harness up and just run it this way.
Sounds like you just bypassed the on/off switch entirely. So are your fogs always on whenever the key is turned?

I'd personally love for the fogs to operate independently of the headlights, but retain the factory switch. I'm going to need a wiring diagram and lots of patience.

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
Sounds like you just bypassed the on/off switch entirely. So are your fogs always on whenever the key is turned?

I'd personally love for the fogs to operate independently of the headlights, but retain the factory switch. I'm going to need a wiring diagram and lots of patience.
Yes, I bypassed the on/off switch entirely. I wanted a solution for DRL that are always on and this is how I did it. I run LED bulbs in the fogs so it looks really good as DRLs

Anytime I turn the key the fogs come on and when I turn the car off, they stay on for about 10 seconds until the power is killed to the fuse panel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Found this online and was thinking about trying it-

Fog light mod

Quote: Those who have an MS6, can you post the modifed directions as i am not too electrically inclined[/b] 1. Disconnect Negative Terminal on battery. (Uses a 10mm wrench)

2. Remove fuse box cover in engine compartment (right side of engine above air filter box)

3. Remove the two gold nuts you see when you take the cover off (and terminals under them). (Uses a 10mm socket.)

4. Disconnect the large wire bundle, by way of it's clip and not the actual wire connection, from the right of the fuse box. While at the same time/during this step, unlock the fuse assembly by means of the four clip at each of the four corners of the fuse box.

4.5 Cut the black electrical tape that secures the wire shield to the wire if need be.

5. Now the whole fuse assembly (the plate that all the fuses are mounted to) can be lifted 2-3 inches up.—

6. Locate the FOG RELAY. Locate the pastel green wire coming from the relay (most left terminal) and follow the wire as far as you can (about 5-6inches).—

7. Cut the pastel green wire from the FOG RELAY as far as you can, but leaving enough to cap the wire off. (I suggest a splice cap from Radio Shack rather than electrical tape because electrical tape will eventually come off due to heat and atmosphere.)

8. Now splice that 5-6in piece of pastel green wire to either (I suggest splicing the wire under the fuse plate so no wire is showing) (use a water proof environmental splice) a. Wire coming off the TAIL 10A fuse (if you want the fog lights on only when parking lights are on, headlights or highbeams) or b.Wire coming off the ENG BAR 15A fuse (if you want the fog lights to come on without having to actuate the parking lights, headlights, or highbeams)

9. Reseat the fuse plate into the fuse box shell and the harness side connection. Before you push down to lock the clips, ensure all the guides are lined up so the shell conforms to the plate and isn't buldging, ect.

10. Retighten the gold nuts.

11. Replace the fuse box cover - make sure you tightened those nuts, not just by hand.

12. Reconnect the battery wire.

13. Operation check.

14. Go to each door window, put the window down then back up and hold it there until you hear the door relay click in each door (Have key in and rotated fwd, but engine off

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
It is probably easier to add your own switch than use the original one. I dont know how the original is wired, but I suspect that everything on the turning stalk is connected to a PCB which controls when stuff actually turns on. For example, the fog light switch would be hooked up to an AND with the low beam. If Im right about that, you would need to actually modify that PCB to do what you are suggesting.

I was going to add a switch, but then I just decided to hook it up to a fuse so that it would always be on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts