2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year after purchase - 2019 3 sedan, red/black, front drive, premium

I recently drove a loaner with vinyl seats - they seem a little more compliant - I liked the feel.

The loaner did not have a head up display. I realized how much the HUD annoyed me. You can't turn it off permanently, but I found that by aiming it down all the way, I almost never see it. And I don't miss it.

I gave up on auto bright lights - I just leave the headlights in the on position and never touch the switch. That way they I always have lights, front and back, in the rain and as it is getting dark.

Auto wipers work well sometimes, but I often have to restart them. It seems that if it is raining when I turn the car on they often don't start.

The coin holder is (was) a nightmare. Accidentally leave it open and start to get out of the car - it can destroy your knee. I took it out and velcroed my garage door opener in the cubby hole.

Sediment in the brake fluid, apparently a common problem. They replaced the master cylinder and fluid. Just recently, so I don't know if there will be more sediment.

Overall - nice car, beautiful, comfortable, fun to drive, no rattles, no problems beyond the recalls and brake fluid sediment. The gas tank is too small, there is not enough ground clearance, horrible center display ergonomics (I have no problem with the mechanics - it's the menus that are awful), and I would have been happier in the preferred model instead of premium.

·
Super Moderator
603 Posts
Disappointing that you can't turn off HUD completely. The only reason I'd want the premium is for red leather, but I'd probably be ok with black too.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you don't want to use the HUD, you can also put a piece of tape or something over the HUD shielding in the dashboard to completely block it from projecting. Just a thought.

Curious, though, @CaryRavitz - how come you went with the Premium trim if you didn't particularly want it?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yeah I thought I had to have the red leather and I still enjoy looking at it every time I get in the car. The all black tends to downplay the other wise lovely interior, but I care little for the heads up and would have paid extra for the head space eating sunroof to be deleted..

In Hind sight I think I should have gone with the CX 30 in select trim. A bit more airy and no cylinder deactivation. The 3 is not that much more sporty.
Hey, had I gone with 30 then I would be in envy of the 3 owners enjoying it's advantages. Wish I could have gotten a lease deal that would allow alternating month to month.

·
Registered
2020 Sedan Skyactiv-X, MT, "Sky" trim (base)
3 Posts
The loaner did not have a head up display. I realized how much the HUD annoyed me. You can't turn it off permanently, but I found that by aiming it down all the way, I almost never see it. And I don't miss it.
Auto wipers work well sometimes, but I often have to restart them. It seems that if it is raining when I turn the car on they often don't start.
The gas tank is too small ...
... horrible center display ergonomics (I have no problem with the mechanics - it's the menus that are awful)
What? The HUD (free, even on the base model here) is the best thing that ever happened to me, and the car. It basically matches anything else the competition throws at it. BMW (3-series) wanted extra for this. This, starting at $20000 more to begin with, I laughed and left the dealership.
Autowipers are bloody awful, that's true.
My range (Skyactiv-X) is nearly 1200km (approx. 750miles). Too bad you don't get it (yet) in NA. That's the most important reason I got the car. I detest diesels.
Menus are OK. Matters how much you use them I guess (I hardly use them anymore).

All in all, I'm going to keep this baby until it falls apart (or gets stolen by a jealous BMW-owner). :)

Just my two cents.

Rgds,

RS

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with the assessment of the Preferred level. I wanted the heads up display and navigation from the Premium but had no interest in the other options included. I love the fake leather in the Preferred and would have paid extra to not have a sunroof. Unlike any other brand, navigation was easy to add.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curious, though, @CaryRavitz - how come you went with the Premium trim if you didn't particularly want it?
Neat sounding features in the premium, but after driving for a while they aren't that useful. HUD, cylinder deactivation, I don't remember them all - leather? swiveling headlights? auto wipers? some additional stability control.

(But I never wanted the sunroof or the ugly shark fin antenna.)

HUD works great - a neat feature. But it distracts from my view of the road. I didn't realize how much it annoyed me until I drove a loaner without it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2019 FWD Premium sedan (Machine Gray/Black). After the recalls were done, things are fine (even AC is effective with after market tinted glass). i drive mainly on the highway, getting 39 mpg (obviously it would be a lot lower if I drive on the city), so I am assuming the cylinder deactivation is doing its job. It is the nicest car I've ever owned-- it does not have the handling of a BMW 3 series (my folks have a newer one that I have driven a few times), but the leather seats makes it feel just as luxurious. Hopefully it will be cheaper to maintain than a BMW 3 (and won't have the AC repairs of my previous Hondas). I wish they had silver in the premium colors-a silver preferred was my second choice because I don't need a sunroof in Seattle (I even asked in the forums how people felt about the preferred seats but no one really answered).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sediment in the brake fluid, apparently a common problem.
Did you discover this, or dealer? I'll have to keep an eye on it. I don't even have 4k miles yet though.

No issue with your front doors' weatherstripping interfering with back doors? Mine creeps up after a few days, but I can roll the window down and kind of push it back in place. That works for a while. Will bug the dealer about it at some point to see if there are any TSBs on it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I learned of the brake sediment issue on this forum, checked and had the problem. The dealer checked with Mazda, who said to replace the brake fluid and master cylinder. This took several months. Meanwhile they removed the screened sediment. When they got the new master cylinder and replacement approval, more sediment had collected. I asked the dealer and they said they checked and most of the new 3s on the lot had the problem. I think Mazda doesn't know what the problem is and wanted a sample master cylinder.

No weatherstripping issues. My impression (I haven't followed this problem closely) is that this is related to the car sitting in the sun a lot. My car stays in a garage most of the time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2019 FWD Premium sedan (Machine Gray/Black). After the recalls were done, things are fine (even AC is effective with after market tinted glass). i drive mainly on the highway, getting 39 mpg (obviously it would be a lot lower if I drive on the city), so I am assuming the cylinder deactivation is doing its job. It is the nicest car I've ever owned-- it does not have the handling of a BMW 3 series (my folks have a newer one that I have driven a few times), but the leather seats makes it feel just as luxurious. Hopefully it will be cheaper to maintain than a BMW 3 (and won't have the AC repairs of my previous Hondas). I wish they had silver in the premium colors-a silver preferred was my second choice because I don't need a sunroof in Seattle (I even asked in the forums how people felt about the preferred seats but no one really answered).
Sorry that I didn’t see your question about the seats in the preferred. I find the seats in the preferred to be excellent. I love the fake leather. It lasts forever. (100,000 miles on my 2015 and the fake leather still looks new.) That said, I don’t think you can go wrong with any trim level.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts