2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So recently my wife has been driving our car more, I paired her iPhone 6s with the car.

Now when I drive the car and the car detects that my phone needs to be connected, the contact import on the clock takes 45 seconds approx., I never really put attention to it just now but wow that is super slow, I'm using an iPhone 6 plus and the the firmware on the car is 56.00.230 EU N.

Meanwhile, when I import my wife's contacts it take approx. 15 seconds, which is a lot faster than mine.

So my question are, is this importing speed normal? or is my older phone to blame for such low speeds to import?

Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm curious about this too. My S8 also takes a long time to import contacts. Not sure if it's related to AIO tweaks, but the entire interface is basically unusable until the contacts are done importing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Importing contacts takes about 5 seconds for me, probably less as I seem to not notice it sometimes. Maybe try unpairing the phone on your car's infotainment then on your phone select forget Bluetooth device (Mazda).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey,

So recently my wife has been driving our car more, I paired her iPhone 6s with the car.

Now when I drive the car and the car detects that my phone needs to be connected, the contact import on the clock takes 45 seconds approx., I never really put attention to it just now but wow that is super slow, I'm using an iPhone 6 plus and the the firmware on the car is 56.00.230 EU N.

Meanwhile, when I import my wife's contacts it take approx. 15 seconds, which is a lot faster than mine.

So my question are, is this importing speed normal? or is my older phone to blame for such low speeds to import?

Thanks for clarifying.
I think it depends on how many contacts you have on your phone. Maybe your wife has much less?
I use iPhone X and in my case it takes good 30-45 seconds to sync all of my 400 contacts.

What I do is I set on my phone in bluetooth settings to sync only favourites and last numbers (not all contacts). It helps a little :)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your feedback so far! I had 245 contacts syncing at the beginning, I reduce it to 200 contacts and I'll see if there is any difference in speed.

My wife has 188 contacts on her phone, but also I think the iPhone 6s has a faster bluetooth than the the iPhone 6 plus so that might make a difference as well.

I'll test this and report later :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I don't get how 45 secs vs 15 secs is relevant to driving?

Is your journey so short that you can't make a phone call?

Or your life so important that a call can't wait 45 secs?

I remember the days when if you wanted to talk to someone, you actually had to go and see them in person..............the shame of it !

1st world problems...........come on guys, get a focus on what's important, or not?

·
Registered
59 Posts

I remember the days when if you wanted to talk to someone, you actually had to go and see them in person..............the shame of it !

1st world problems...........come on guys, get a focus on what's important, or not?
I am not saying you're wrong but hey, it is not "existential problems" or "philosophy" forum ;)
We are discussing technology and cars here :)

And yes, syncing speed matters to me. I drive a lot in the city, and every time I stop and start the car again, I need to wait this almost damn minute before I can make a phone call. Sometimes it is really irritating when I need to call someone quickly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've the same problem with my S8+.
About 350 contact and it takes 40sec to import them. During this time no access to MZD, and even no radio sound.

·
Registered
163 Posts

As a real estate appraiser, I have to find lots of addresses, maybe 20 a day. I use the Navigation system to help. If I turn the car off to inspect a house, I want to be able to jump back in and find the next address. But instead, I jump in, start the car, and wait. If I start moving forward, I may go in the wrong direction. So, I wait. And wait. I sometimes wait longer than the drive to the next address. It is inefficient. Time is money.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I sometimes wait longer than the drive to the next address. It is inefficient. Time is money.
You're in real estate and you don't know rough addresses? Anyway, what's stopping you using your phone directly?

You are obviously very very important and Mazda should pay the software people to rewrite all their software so you don't waste 30 seconds, 20 times a day. That's 10 minutes ........

Mazda build cars.

Software engineers build software.

Maybe buy a laptop / iPad with it's own connection for instant directions......If only there was a device, perhaps with a Global Positioning System built in, that was dedicated to showing the position you are at, and then having the ability to find addresses and direct you to that address via the quickest route?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You're in real estate and you don't know rough addresses? Anyway, what's stopping you using your phone directly?

You are obviously very very important and Mazda should pay the software people to rewrite all their software so you don't waste 30 seconds, 20 times a day. That's 10 minutes ........

Mazda build cars.

Maybe buy a laptop / iPad with it's own connection for instant directions......If only there was a device, perhaps with a Global Positioning System built in, that was dedicated to showing the position you are at, and then having the ability to find addresses and direct you to that address via the quickest route?

The point here isn't that anyone thinks they're more important than anyone else. The point is a $25 000 car can't perform a simple task without the entire infotainment system being unusable.

It's definitely even worse with AIO tweaks installed. I don't understand why the system doesn't keep the contacts stored and only update them occasionally, seems like a more efficient idea, and an easy fix to this issue.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The point here is, IMHO, that there are way too many people whinging about a minor minor minor minor delay, in a feature of a CAR.

I have a GPS in my car. It's manufactured to be a GPS. It has free lifetime maps that I update regularly. I have a mobile phone, that I use to make phone calls and send messages. Cars are starting to become integrated. Some do it better than others.

I love my little 2.5L Mazda. It's fun to drive. Maybe I'm weird, but if I have to wait 45 seconds for the phone to pair with the car, then so be it. I have an important job (I think). I am important to my family and friends (I hope). I can spare those few seconds in my day that seem to cause apoplexy amongst a lot on this board. I still love driving my 3.

Seriously people, worry about the important things. Don't sweat the small stuff. No wonder so many Murcans are constantly angry and shoot each other, because they "looked at each other funny."

·
Registered
163 Posts

Mazda build cars.

Thank you for realizing I'm very, very important.

I know rough addresses. Why would you think otherwise? What I don't know are every one of the thousands of streets we have and in which direction they are from where I sit.

Mazda builds cars. Mazda includes things like seats, steering wheels, tires, infotainment systems, etc., in their cars. Mazda should make sure the equipment they put in their cars works and works well. The delay is evidence of it not working well.

I used to drive with a laptop connected full time to a ram mount. It made the passenger seat nearly unusable. I had to have a dedicated gps unit. I had to configure a power inverter to power it. It was an invitation to break into my truck. Not a good solution.

I tried using a cell phone. If it had a display positioned where I could easily see it, had a display size I could read the info from, and powered without protruding wires, I'd still use it. But I paid good money for the infotainment system. I paid good money for the navigation system. I paid good money for the Mazda. Is it too much to ask that it works well?

I have a cell phone mounted to read data off the odbii port. I have a cell phone mounted to read my radar detector. I have a 3rd cell phone to make calls and take pictures. You really think I need a 4th cell phone? I think I need a well working navigation system built into the car.

Some are satisfied with mediocrity. Others want thing to work the way they are expected to work.

Can I clear anything else up?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Nope. You were clear.

I guess my only comment would be that the system does work well. It just doesn't work quickly enough (for you).

Out of interest. How long does it take your mobile phone to turn on, from being totally switched off? I just timed my Moto G5 Plus. From being off.........I pressed the power button at 4.09.20pm. It was able to make a phone call at 4.10.41pm. About 80 seconds. So 45 seconds for the car is fine, IMO.

I guess I have lower standards than you? Or maybe I am just more patient?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update!

I deleted many contacts I didn't need from my iPhone 6plus, from 245 contacts I went to 200, import time was 45 seconds.

Then from 200 I reduced the contacts to 185, the import time was reduced to 40 seconds, still super slow by means of standard transfer technology.

My fix ---> Now here is the trick, it is no so much about the amount of contacts you have but to the amount of information you have on each one of them, especially if you have pictures on each and every one of them, therefore I deleted the pictures from the contacts I didn't need a picture for and I left approx. 10 contacts with profile pictures ---> Import time is now 5-8 seconds.

From what I noticed the infotainment systems imports only names, phone numbers and pictures associated with your contacts, addresses are not imported but I might be wrong. Hence, deleting the pictures from my contacts list was the key for improving the import time to a minimum.

Try it out and let me know if this fix helps you as it did for me :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts