2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was about halfway to work this morning when I noticed that my auto wipers hadn't come on to clear the rain from the windshield in a while so I bumped the stalk down to low to clear the windshield, but nothing happened. I then moved the stalk to high and nothing happened. I pulled over at one point and turned the car off and then back on again and the wipers still wouldn't come on. When I pull the stalk towards me, the washer fluid sprays on the windshield and the rear wiper works fine. It was an interesting ride into work this morning and then it was drizzling a bit on the way home. I am glad I use the rain-x washer fluid. It helped me see through the rain drops a bit better than normal. lol. I have an appointment with my local dealer to look at this since the car is only 7 months old. It just makes me sad that I am having an issue with my car so soon.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't use mine but Keep us updated...will be curious on cause. In the meantime, try this. I found this on Mazda 247. Seems the wiper issue maybe common.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The good news is that I've managed to fix the problem...at least for the time being.

I found some time this afternoon to check the fuse box. There are two fuses (#1 and [URL=http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 8[/URL] ) in the engine compartment fuse box that are indicated as being related to wipers. The #1 slot is empty (i.e., didn't ship from the factory with a fuse in it), and the [URL=http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 8[/URL] fuse looked intact. I pressed it down just in case there was a loose connection. Then I checked the settings on the infotainment system. I found only one wiper related setting for "Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers". I turned it off, and tested the wipers. The wipers were working again! Then I turned the rain sensing wiper setting back on. The wipers still worked! Woohoo!

At this point, I don't know if the problem was due to a loose connection with the fuse or a glitch in the infotainment software (in retrospect, I should have tested the wipers after pressing down the fuse and before messing with the Infotainment system). My wife's been complaining about the Infotainment being buggy and crashing, so I suspect the culprit is a software glitch. We'll continue to monitor it, and if it happens again, we'll take the car in for a more thorough investigation.

At some point, we do need to schedule an appointment to get a firmware update for the Infotainment system. For now, I'm happy that the wipers are working again and that it turned out to be a trivially easy fix. Although the car's still under full warranty, I'd rather avoid the hassle of dealing with a service appointment and being without the car for half a day if I can help it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, 2017mazda3. I found that post earlier today, and I did check the fuses under the hood. I was only able to find one fuse that was for the wipers, but it wasn't one of the tiny blade type fuses. It was one of the bigger square ones. I pressed on the tiny blade fuses and made sure they were all pressed in tight. Some of them weren't pushed in all the way, but I wasn't having any other issues. After work today, I took the fuse for the wipers out and put it back in. It didn't look like it was blown at all. This morning, I did notice an odd sort of electrical smell for about a minute when I first got in my car, but I was thinking it was the smell of the rain, but I am wondering if it might have been the wiper motor or something. I hope it doesn't rain too much between now and Monday. lol.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i'm not so sure about the Rain sensing.. mine works fine sometimes, other times it does not come on and I have to fire the wipers off manually. It just seems like it's not too sensitive. It hardly rains here in Southern California so not too bothered about it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I would bump the switch to low speed every once in a while, but when I tried that the other day, nothing happened and so far the wipers haven't worked since. I am headed to my local dealer on Monday morning to get it checked out. I just hope it is something they can fix while I am there and I don't have to wait and then go back.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yeah I would bump the switch to low speed every once in a while, but when I tried that the other day, nothing happened and so far the wipers haven't worked since. I am headed to my local dealer on Monday morning to get it checked out. I just hope it is something they can fix while I am there and I don't have to wait and then go back.
So did you try turning off and on again the rain sensing wipers on the infotainment screen or not? You didn't mention that below. Or reset the system? I would also consider cycling thru it....meaning, turn it off on the infotainment system, shut off the car for a few minutes, lock the doors. Turn it back on, etc...just like you would do with your phone or computer if you have a problem or just installed a new program or app. I guess what I'm saying, try to help yourself so when you go into the shop you can tell them what you tried.

I've never used mine, but always wanted to try them for the heck of it, but like others have said and as they mention in the owners manual, there are times you have to shut the system off anyway and other unforeseen scenarios and with everything else, it's probably the last thing I would think about doing, but they have to be fixed.

·
Registered
336 Posts
After Safelite replaced my windshield, the rain sensing wipers never seemed to work as well as they used to. Ended up turning the rain sensing feature completely off on the infotainment screen, and simply use the wiper delay; works fine for me that way...

·
Registered
570 Posts
After Safelite replaced my windshield, the rain sensing wipers never seemed to work as well as they used to. Ended up turning the rain sensing feature completely off on the infotainment screen, and simply use the wiper delay; works fine for me that way...
just curious what year is your car? I ask cuz the technology has changed within the last gen 2014 to 2016 and 2017 to 2018 and I know others have mentioned similar concerns before and after replacing their windshields.

·
Registered
336 Posts
just curious what year is your car? I ask cuz the technology has changed within the last gen 2014 to 2016 and 2017 to 2018 and I know others have mentioned similar concerns before and after replacing their windshields.
2016 isport

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So did you try turning off and on again the rain sensing wipers on the infotainment screen or not? You didn't mention that below. Or reset the system? I would also consider cycling thru it....meaning, turn it off on the infotainment system, shut off the car for a few minutes, lock the doors. Turn it back on, etc...just like you would do with your phone or computer if you have a problem or just installed a new program or app. I guess what I'm saying, try to help yourself so when you go into the shop you can tell them what you tried.

I've never used mine, but always wanted to try them for the heck of it, but like others have said and as they mention in the owners manual, there are times you have to shut the system off anyway and other unforeseen scenarios and with everything else, it's probably the last thing I would think about doing, but they have to be fixed.

I did turn the setting off in the infotainment settings, but I don't remember if I turned the car off and got out and then got back in and turned it on again. I did reset the infotainment system. I will try turning the setting off and then turning the car off and getting out and letting it sit for a while. I thought about upgrading the firmware to see if that might do anything. I don't have the latest installed, but I do have the version before the latest installed right now. I troubleshoot computers for a living so I have done just about everything I could think of. It seems like a dead wiper motor from what I can tell at this point. This is a 2018 Mazda 3 also.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I did turn the setting off in the infotainment settings, but I don't remember if I turned the car off and got out and then got back in and turned it on again. I did reset the infotainment system. I will try turning the setting off and then turning the car off and getting out and letting it sit for a while. I thought about upgrading the firmware to see if that might do anything. I don't have the latest installed, but I do have the version before the latest installed right now. I troubleshoot computers for a living so I have done just about everything I could think of. It seems like a dead wiper motor from what I can tell at this point. This is a 2018 Mazda 3 also.
I was a business analyst in one of my previous lives, testing corporate operating systems and a lot of Y2K testing, so that explains my OCD for different scenarios. The locking the doors scenario is part of upgrading the infotainment firmware so that's where that came from. You might also check to see if you have any DTC errors that need to be cleared out...probably not. Good Luck and I'll stop bothering you at this point.

·
Registered
570 Posts
2016 isport
I'm going to keep researching this cuz, I got my hands on part of a complete mazda shop manual and they infer in multiple sections that the cameras and lasers need to be calibrated when the windshield is removed and refer back to another section for instructions....which I don't have.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was a business analyst in one of my previous lives, testing corporate operating systems and a lot of Y2K testing, so that explains my OCD for different scenarios. The locking the doors scenario is part of upgrading the infotainment firmware so that's where that came from. You might also check to see if you have any DTC errors that need to be cleared out...probably not. Good Luck and I'll stop bothering you at this point.
I was working on a helpdesk during Y2k. Those were fun times! lol. I did update the firmware, but that didn't do anything as far as the wipers were concerned and I must have turned the auto wiper setting off at some point before I did the firmware update because it was off when I checked it before I did the update. I will hopefully find out more tomorrow at the dealer. Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I was working on a helpdesk during Y2k. Those were fun times! lol. I did update the firmware, but that didn't do anything as far as the wipers were concerned and I must have turned the auto wiper setting off at some point before I did the firmware update because it was off when I checked it before I did the update. I will hopefully find out more tomorrow at the dealer. Thanks for your suggestions!
don't get me started...went to work for a Japanese company right after the new year and electric staplers and pencil sharpeners had Y2k stickers on them. Good luck tomorrow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Body Control Module is the problem. The dealer ordered a new one, but they cleaned the contacts on my current BCM and the wipers started working again. I just need to get back to them and get the new part installed.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The Body Control Module is the problem. The dealer ordered a new one, but they cleaned the contacts on my current BCM and the wipers started working again. I just need to get back to them and get the new part installed.

Good to know...once you get one BCM failure, it is usually a sign of things to come as it controls 2-3 dozen systems and controls. Not an incredibly expensive part or difficult to remove/install but does need to be configured and programmed properly. I'm sure they will refurbish your part and put it back on the shelf

1 - 16 of 16 Posts