2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have posted earlier, I replaced my OEM Yokohama S34s right off the bat with Dunlop Signature HPs because the Yokos were horrible. The Dunlops seemed a pretty good option, were quiet, nice ride, handled pretty good too. Until today that is. I went to swap the Traklite / ECS summer combo with the OEM rims and Dunlops for the winter and found 3 of the 4 tires had bubbles on the sidewalls.:surprise: They only have about 2k miles on them, WTF? :frown2: Went to the tire shop where I got them, the guy took one look and said "yep, bad belts. Dunlop will warranty them out". No questions, didn't even unmount to check for road hazard damage. He seemed to know right off what the problem was, a "manufacturing defect" is what he said.
After talking to the guy a bit he told me that Dunlop is part of Goodyear, and they have been having a lot of similar issues with these tires and others sold under both the Goodyear and Dunlop names. The belts are installed too tight in some, not tight enough in others, causing issues with the sidewalls.
In addition, I found out that in ~2k miles, the fronts have worn from 10/32 to 7/32, the rears are down to 8/32. That is ridiculous.

So, if you have Goodyear or Dunlop tires, check the sidewalls for bubbles and bulges.
This was on both sides of one of the tires, 2 others had similar bulges... :shocked:

·
*The Electrician*
888 Posts
Never noticed it on my oem dunlops, guess if I had there would have been a free set of tires for me to sell with the rims. But mine are now sold and gone anyway.

·
Working Class Hero
3,582 Posts
Gives me something to look forward to lol. I'll be checking these over real good when I swap them out for the Blizzaks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow, good thing I traded in the Dunlops after about 200 miles on them. Very first thing I did after getting my Mazda 3.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I went through 3 of the stock dunlops under the tire warranty I bought with the car due to bubbling from potholes etc. I've been using DWS06 from continental since and I've not had a single failure from the sidewall bubbling. Only failure I had was a bolt through the tread.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,144 Posts
I just took my car in for its first service at the dealership and while I was there, I overheard the mechanic talking to my service rep and he was referring to Dunlops as Dunflops too.

Even Mazda employees think they stink.
CK

·
Super Moderator
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does this affect the Dunlop Sport Maxx TTs on the 18" configured Mazdas?
I don't think those are available in the US, but the tire guy told me that many different models can have this problem. The Dunlop rep had the same story and was all to eager warranty the tires.

They are fine. Scare mongering.
Not hardly. The manufacturer seems to know there is an issue. The guy who is the customer service manager for the whole chain knew what the problem was right away and told me to take the tires for warranty replacement. The manager at the shop knew exactly what the issue was as did the Dunlop rep he spoke to on the phone. He explained the issue to me at the time the tires were brought in for warranty replacement and indicated that warranty replacement of Dunlops and Goodyears due to similar failures happened quite often. So no, they are not fine.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Every radial car tyre in the world has these 'bumps/bulges'. Some are more noticeable than others. It's because of the way they are constructed. So long as they are balanced, there is NO difference between Dunlop and any other manufacturer.

FYI - i'm not a Dunlop fan myself, but this thread is exaggerating a problem that doesn't even exist.

·
Super Moderator
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tires did not have those bulges when new, they appeared a few months later.
The store manager told me the the problem was incorrectly installed belts, this also was the opinion of the Dunlop rep. Neither one contested the warranty claim, both said unequivocally that it was not normal and was not road hazard damage. Thats good enough for me.

·
Super Moderator
641 Posts
Wow, good thing I traded in the Dunlops after about 200 miles on them. Very first thing I did after getting my Mazda 3.
Who takes tire trades?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,144 Posts
No one... He meant he got new ones to replace the old ones.
CK

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
It's interesting for Mazda OEM tires.

My 2018 GT came with:
Dunlop Sport 5000
215-45-18

No problems here with 20,000 kms

·
Banned
842 Posts
Tires have a DOT and or serial numbers on most every tire offered in most countries in the world. There has been tires over decades that have had problems from time to time and before the internet you read better information about such claims with supporting information from media source like the 6 o'clock new. LOL. Tires even the ones MAZDA uses are manufactured in a few countries and each as I already said has serial numbers to identify them. I might also add manufactured date codes. So look next time when you think that really good deal on a set of NEW tires, it may be old stock. While I understand a "PANIC" about a few cases of tires even negative comments from professionals it is not apparently a concern with any governing regulators, tire or even car manufactures as a large problem or problem at all???. As far as I can find there are no DEALERSHIP warning service advisories from MAZDA or TSBs on the matter of defective tire of any consequence? Customarily speaking it is easier to simply warranty and replace a tire then go through hassles with the manufactures. So this in itself by some that have never been in the tire selling business as " they know there is a problem" which is NOT the case only we would call good customer service. Also a issues with one model tire of any brand does not disease the complete line from that tire manufacture.

Personally I would rather read empirical information and data supporting claims about such things as "BAD" tires then read from a few members and second hand information on a car forum. Consider the source of information!
This is a statistic thing or math formula....how many of these tires were manufactured in the last 5 years and how many actually had legitimate warranty concerns. In the US the DOT has reports on all of this and as far as I looked it is NOT the case with the tires used on MAZDA. Check it out for yourself. I am sure a few will again not like my response but hey it is the DOT that is The Department of Transportation official reports.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Tires have a DOT and or serial numbers on most every tire offered in most countries in the world. There has been tires over decades that have had problems from time to time and before the internet you read better information about such claims with supporting information from media source like the 6 o'clock new. LOL. Tires even the ones MAZDA uses are manufactured in a few countries and each as I already said has serial numbers to identify them. I might also add manufactured date codes. So look next time when you think that really good deal on a set of NEW tires, it may be old stock. While I understand a "PANIC" about a few cases of tires even negative comments from professionals it is not apparently a concern with any governing regulators, tire or even car manufactures as a large problem or problem at all???. As far as I can find there are no DEALERSHIP warning service advisories from MAZDA or TSBs on the matter of defective tire of any consequence? Customarily speaking it is easier to simply warranty and replace a tire then go through hassles with the manufactures. So this in itself by some that have never been in the tire selling business as " they know there is a problem" which is NOT the case only we would call good customer service. Also a issues with one model tire of any brand does not disease the complete line from that tire manufacture.

Personally I would rather read empirical information and data supporting claims about such things as "BAD" tires then read from a few members and second hand information on a car forum. Consider the source of information!
This is a statistic thing or math formula....how many of these tires were manufactured in the last 5 years and how many actually had legitimate warranty concerns. In the US the DOT has reports on all of this and as far as I looked it is NOT the case with the tires used on MAZDA. Check it out for yourself. I am sure a few will again not like my response but hey it is the DOT that is The Department of Transportation official reports.
To stress what Nitro mentioned....don't be afraid to ask manufacture date. If you buy them directly at the tire shop, have them pull the tires out before they finalize your service order...and then turn around and apologize to the customer behind you for being a pain in the ass. In some/many cases they may not have the tires at that location when you walk in that morning, as they will come from storage or another shop, but they should be able to confirm for you anyway prior to install. If it's not an emergency tire replacement, work with them the day or two before on the phone or in person, to make sure they are on hand when you bring in your car.

On the internet, you can do the same thing in some cases when placing your order. Many times when you buy things on the internet, they will show either mfr or exp dates now.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have those tyres on my UK Mazda 3 made in Japan. I've seen no bulges to date but they do generate much road noise on rough surfaces despite having a good EU 68dB drive by noise rating. I guess that noise rating says nothing about the noise transmitted into the cabin. I've had some success putting sound proofing in the boot/trunk and under the rear seat.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts