2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how does the 'push button' start sense the remote if the battery is dead?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know how it works but it does. Use the remote key fob to push the start button and it will start. I've done it, battery was dead needed key to unlock door.

·
Registered
703 Posts
If the remote battery dies after you locked the car using the remote then you will need to use the 'mechanical key' to open the door lock. This triggers the alarm on my UK spec Mazda 3 which can only be disabled by starting the car by touching the key to the start button. The handbook says a warning light flashes on the dashboard when the key battery is getting low so It would be advisable to replace the key battery at that time.

Reactions: Moval

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
how does the 'push button' start sense the remote if the battery is dead?
It works because the battery is not completely dead. It just does not have enough juice to connect to the car from a distance. Its sort of like having a dead battery in your car. Not enough power to crank the engine but the lights and stuff still work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It works because the battery is not completely dead. It just does not have enough juice to connect to the car from a distance. Its sort of like having a dead battery in your car. Not enough power to crank the engine but the lights and stuff still work.
ahh.. so if I removed the battery from the remote, then it wouldn't work

·
Registered
703 Posts
I bet it still works if you remove the battery for fail safe operation. I suspect there is a RFID device inside the key fob which responds to a radio signal from the push button start.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If the remote battery dies after you locked the car using the remote then you will need to use the 'mechanical key' to open the door lock. This triggers the alarm on my UK spec Mazda 3 which can only be disabled by starting the car by touching the key to the start button. The handbook says a warning light flashes on the dashboard when the key battery is getting low so It would be advisable to replace the key battery at that time.
Never seen the warning light. I just figure that when the keyfob starts requiring 3-4 presses to lock, the battery is dying. Then I usually switch to the spare, and run that till it starts to die...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Remove the battery and it will still start.

There is a passive RFID chip at the tip of the remote. Its dangerous to not have a fail-safe here.

·
Registered
62 Posts
6 months ago my remote battery died, you can barely lock or unlock the car unless you press it multiple times. And of course the car wont start when you press Engine start. It will flash amber light a few times but nothing happen

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried mine last month and it works. My Car FOB remote battery run flat so I cannot unlock the car. So the only way is the use the KEY to unlock the car and when the door is open, it trigger the alarm and I use my FOB key remote to touch the start button and it works.

There is no sign or signal appear when my car remote battery is rub flat. But if you have difficulty to lock/unlock the car by pressing the handle button, then I think is time the battery run flat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So, the last few days it seems I've been having intermittent issues with my fob. This morning I push the button on the door and nothing. SO I figure, alright, here's a chance to try out the dead fob push start.

Pulled the key out and unlocked the door expecting the horn/ alarm to start going off... nothing. ok.

Get in and push on the brake, push the fob to the start button... and nothing. ok.

try again, and with a delayed reaction (couple of seconds maybe), the car fires up. ok. ...drive to work.

Now, what I feel like I noticed the last couple of times that the car wouldn't start right away is that the light in the push start button did NOT light up when I push on the brake. Not amber, not green.

Noticed it this morning too, when I tried putting the fob to the button the first time. The second time, I saw the light.

Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like this isn't a dying fob, but something else.

And as [email protected] posted above, when he used his physical key to get in the car his alarm went off. Mine didn't. Does the US version not do this? or does this seem like something else is wrong?

For anyone that's done the dead fob to the pushbutton, did you notice if the light in the pushbutton came on at all?

Thanks!

·
Registered
703 Posts
So, the last few days it seems I've been having intermittent issues with my fob. This morning I push the button on the door and nothing. SO I figure, alright, here's a chance to try out the dead fob push start.

Pulled the key out and unlocked the door expecting the horn/ alarm to start going off... nothing. ok.

Get in and push on the brake, push the fob to the start button... and nothing. ok.

try again, and with a delayed reaction (couple of seconds maybe), the car fires up. ok. ...drive to work.

Now, what I feel like I noticed the last couple of times that the car wouldn't start right away is that the light in the push start button did NOT light up when I push on the brake. Not amber, not green.

Noticed it this morning too, when I tried putting the fob to the button the first time. The second time, I saw the light.

Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like this isn't a dying fob, but something else.

And as [email protected] posted above, when he used his physical key to get in the car his alarm went off. Mine didn't. Does the US version not do this? or does this seem like something else is wrong?

For anyone that's done the dead fob to the pushbutton, did you notice if the light in the pushbutton came on at all?

Thanks!
My UK Mazda 3 sets the alarm off when you open the door using the mechanical key. I fail to understand why the car is designed like this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts