2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have manual transmission. i-Stop activates when in neutral, there may be some other rule about being stopped or nearly stopped etc. It de-activates when I press the clutch and engage a gear.

How does it work for automatic transmissions? Furthermore, how does it know when to restart the engine?

Just curious that's all, I haven't read the manual.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would guess when you release the brake it would restart the engine. But then my car doesn't have i-Stop plus it's a manual.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Car is stopped for a certain period of time - engine stops. Foot off brake to switch to gas pedal, engine starts up when the brake is released.

·
Keen driver of the 2017 3
15 Posts
I have manual transmission. i-Stop activates when in neutral, there may be some other rule about being stopped or nearly stopped etc. It de-activates when I press the clutch and engage a gear.

How does it work for automatic transmissions? Furthermore, how does it know when to restart the engine?

Just curious that's all, I haven't read the manual.
Istop in an auto activates when you come to a stop and apply sufficient pressure on footbrake with car in D. You can just apply light pressure on brake and it won't activate, which is good if you are not going to be stationary for more than a few seconds. If you shift the transmission to neutral, engine will switch off regardless of brake pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts