2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ordering a 2016 Mazda3.

Can't wait to get it. One feature I wish it had was i-Stop, which is not available in the US market.

Is it possible to buy the i-Stop parts and install them after purchasing the car?

Thanks, Chapin

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd say you'd hate yourself. i-stop is infuriating to the point when I have muscle memory when I press the starter button then the i-stop off button without even thinking about it. Worst, technology, ever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That didn't really answer my question. My understanding is that it is the best implementation of engine start stop technology out there, faster restarting using ignition rather than starter motor.

I've certainly enjoyed it on about every car I've rented in Europe for the past 5 years and would love the 8 - 12 % mpg improvement it brings.

Is it available on the 2.5L?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Not available in the US, has no need to be available in the US.
It's an expensive system that will fail, and will have too many warranty calls to make it worth it, on top of the fact that 99% of US buyers would never need something like iStop, even though some people seem to really want it.

They won't want it when they have to stop at a dealership to have parts replaced because of it, and Mazda wouldn't enjoy wasting the money on it either.

Less stops per mile in the US compared to european markets, so what'd be the point?
The point is, the US is too large, and it would be too expensive. The gains would be next to nothing, and just cause issues.
The engine and ECU are completely different to handle positioning etc. to run the iStop, so it's not simply a bolt on kind of thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it would be difficult to install after, during active i-Stop, ECU will control the pistons to stop at the middle of the engine (Not the same position of the usual stop engine) for getting ready to restart again.

Good luck, hope you can make it.
Please share to us when you have the iStop. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine seems to be quite random so I guess it will need a new battery soon. Haven't priced one up yet but don't think it will be cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts