2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See the white marks on the bottom and on the handle. I was parking in a garage near a pillar and parked a bit too close, then when I adjusted to fix that I scratched my car up.

Any recommendations on DIY ways to fix this without it looking like total crap? I already have the Mazda touch up paint that I have been using on light scratches. Do I need primer (the surface seen is white where it scratched as in the picture)?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Damn dude, that's gnarly. Looks like you got about 8 inches of travel before you realized. I don't have too much advice beyond a sympathetic that sucks ass man.

You could always go ahead and plasti-dip your whole car a different color :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realized it pretty quickly, just it was difficult to fix once I already was touching it without touching it some more for a bit. I'm sure someone with better parking skills could have done better, but it it what it is.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
touch up paint sucks. I used it once and will never use it again. I almost wish I kept the little scratch instead cause the touch up paint looks worse.

maybe try to buff it out? my mom hit a white pillar and transferred paint from it onto the car. I just took some time and buffed it out. got probably 95% of it off.

·
Everybody to the Limit!
1,001 Posts
OUCH!!!! Bro that sucks!
I almost did that the other day to my wifes jeep! LOL! (Good thing not my ms3)
Backing out of the spot in the garage and didnt realize the column was there, at the very last possible moment I saw it and slammed the brakes. The column came literally 1mm to the side mirror! Almost took that ISH off!!! Whew!

So its just a scratch and not a dent right?

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
^^^U could try buffing it out. I cant tell if that is all scratched paint or if its from the concrete pillar. I recommend meguiars ultimate compound to start. If that doesnt work, u may need to use a heavier cut and a polisher. Thats where u enlist the help of someone who knows how to machine polish, or take it to a shop. If u arent careful witj a polisher, ull just make it worse.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: 13MZSpeed3

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
^^^U could try buffing it out. I cant tell if that is all scratched paint or if its from the concrete pillar. I recommend meguiars ultimate compound to start. If that doesnt work, u may need to use a heavier cut and a polisher. Thats where u enlist the help of someone who knows how to machine polish, or take it to a shop. If u arent careful witj a polisher, ull just make it worse.

yup, this stuff. try this first since it is the cheapest route. it takes some time, but hopefully it will come out

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sorry to hear this punk77

These 2 products I'm showing have helped me get out scratches like the one you have with white spots.
You would be amazed how they can do a lot. Try them before doing anything else. Kit you could find it at pepboys. The other one I bought it at a professional body shop supplier store. The bottle cost me $16.00.
Its called plump crazy and the body shops use it here and at the same time it shines. Both products are amazing!!! Hopefully you are able to solve your problem.

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ups my bad!! Sorry!*

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a feeling the scratch removers are not going to cut it. I'm going to try them first on lighter scratches that I was going to previously paint. I'm sure it will work for those, then later I can try on the new big ones. They are probably much too big for this type of product. I found some 1/2 fl oz packages of meguiars ultimate compound laying around probably someone else in my family bought them.

The paint is just completely scratched off though maybe I am wrong and it is a bit of white paint on it that will buff off. Also there is no denting at all. It's raining right now so testing this out will have to wait for another day.

·
LiveWrong
489 Posts
May be time for a new door!
For real though, that sucks. My car got dented the other day and I feel like everyone just stares at it. Dent wizard wanted to charge me $230 to take it out. I could just get a new fender for that! But I ended up popping it out myself.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Damn! Sorry to hear that. Definitely use some sort of scratch kit to remove some of the scratches and the white part that is visible. At least then you can attempt to buff it out and make it less visible. I live in the city and my car gets hit by bikes, the carelessness of the sanitation workers, etc. You get the point. I managed to buff out most if not some of them away. It's only been two months!

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
If u can catch your nail on em, they are probably through the paint. I would try the UC anyway to see what u can remove if there is paint or whatnot from the pillar. Its worth a shot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought some ultimate compound the other day to try to repair where a minivan hit me, do I want to keep it just on the damaged area or is it pretty safe where I can buff it in anywhere and won't damage the clear coat

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
I bought some ultimate compound the other day to try to repair where a minivan hit me, do I want to keep it just on the damaged area or is it pretty safe where I can buff it in anywhere and won't damage the clear coat
Its clear coat safe. Its gonna be obvious where u use it, it shines the area nicely.

I would try to do the whole panel that has damage, then follow up with wax. Good luck!

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
I used it on my ranger before. If u are doing it by hand, be ready for a work out! It takes some time to do a whole car. The UC has micro abrasives in it, so for it to work well by hand, u want to use fairly strong, even pressure. The directions on the bottle should explain the technique better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts