2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need some help from the form.

I bought my 2014 Mazda 3 iTouring last year and have been unhappy with it for a number of reasons.

- I wish I bought a higher trim, with the navigation package and moonroof, and synthetic / leather seats (not cloth), SAT/HD radio, better speakers etc.
It has been driving me nuts for awhile.

- The car had some issues where it was leaking (manufacture defect) and the window and headliner needed replacing.

I am just not happy continuing making payments on a car I am not loving.

I do love the car though other than that.

I was thinking about trading it in for a Grand Touring 3 Hatch or CX-3.

What could I realistically expect on a 2014 Mazda 3 iTouring Sedan Meteor Grey with 10300 miles on it? Trade in value at dealership.

Is it worth it to do this to be happy with my car and making payments on something I am happy with rather than on something I am not?

Any advice would be helpful thanks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
KBB says around $15k in excellent condition. Theres 3 things that come to my mind when I trade in a car:
How much I still owe.
How much are they giving me for it.
How much do I need to put down on the new car.

If I owe more than what its worth than I wouldn't trade it in.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just went through this EXACT situation (trading a '14 for a '15 of higher trim level), and it was PULLING TEETH to even get a dealer to give me close to blue book. You might get lucky, but expect them to SERIOUSLY lowball you. Go at the end of the month, you might catch them trying to make some numbers.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am just not happy continuing making payments on a car I am not loving.

I do love the car though other than that
Wat? o_O

Is it worth it to do this to be happy with my car and making payments on something I am happy with rather than on something I am not?
At the end of the day, if you can get a good deal trading up for a higher trim level, and can afford the higher payments (more expensive car, plus the hit you'll take on the trade-up) then go for it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
on trade the dealer will give you $13,500 -$14,000. $15000 is doable if they are making a nice amount on the other car. If I was you I would keep it.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
If those are the only two reasons that you don't like the car I would consider buying katskinz leather seat covers(fully customizable) and upgrading the sound system to your liking. Those two combined should be under $3000 which is around what you would be losing if you traded it in. Also, the manufacturer defect most likely effects the grand touring trim also.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I traded in my 2014 manual 3 hatchback, I got $15,000 for it and I had 14,000 miles when I traded it in. My payment went up $40 but in the end, the new car had an automatic (which costs more), and the moonroof and bose package. So in the end, based from the math, the extra I'm paying is for the added features which honestly is worth paying because Mazdaconnect makes my life that much easier.

That's going from i-touring to i-touring with a tech package, so the payment increase wasn't so bad. I think my manager said I could have gotten an i-Grand Touring for $20 a month more, but at that point leather and heated seats weren't worth it to me.

Low miles on the car will help, and surprisingly, a clean interior. No funny smells, no trash apparent. This is something I notice. Smells and dirt require more money to spend on the car to get to be lot worthy. The more money they spend on merchandise, the less money you get. Granted it may not get you thousands on the trade, but impression goes a long way.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought the 14 SV. Same situation. I bit the bullet (more like missile) and traded up. Ended up costing something like 2k more than if i had just bought the better one the first time around.

I'd recommend a 15 model. They starting putting the touchscreen in all of them standard(Becuase apparently Americans cant backup without a camera now). If you can live with the cloth, get the sport model and pay the 600$ for the navi chip. Must cheaper than the $1200 tech package. And lastly If you can swing it, GET A MANUAL. Its a dying breed and pretty soon you wont be able to get one. Just a personal pref for me!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Considering they retail for just over 15k. Likely value is 14k. But, I would lookup purchasing a used Model S with the features you want and negotiate from there. They have a lot more margin on used than new.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
If you are planning on keeping the car for many years, I think it'll be worth upgrading. That's why you gotta make sure you get the car with all the features you want in the first place and don't cheap out, it might end up costing you more in the end if you really want to get a higher trim model of the same car. I would hate having buyer's remorse that's why I tend to get the highest trim level on all the cars I've owned so no regrets later down the road.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If you are planning on keeping the car for many years, I think it'll be worth upgrading. That's why you gotta make sure you get the car with all the features you want in the first place and don't cheap out, it might end up costing you more in the end if you really want to get a higher trim model of the same car. I would hate having buyer's remorse that's why I tend to get the highest trim level on all the cars I've owned so no regrets later down the road.
Not saying yer wrong, but I this isn't exactly helpful to the OP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts