2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Too Many Projects!
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm posting this because there's no word on anything related to turbo coming for our cars in the near future from what I can tell. So, I need just about anything and everything to make me go faster. I'm tired of sitting at 155hp but don't wanna get rid of my baby. So tell me, fellow Mazda peeps. How can I go faster?

Intake
Full Exhaust
Camshafts
E85/93 Octane Tune
Water/Meth??

What else can I do to wake this thing up? I realize the SkyActiv motor isn't a performance motor but there has to be some way to squeeze more power from it. I also noticed it appears that OVT took aftermarket camshafts off of his Mazda page as well. Starting to lose hope in having fun with this car. :(

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well, there was a recent discussion on this topic, you can achieve near 200 hp at the crank on 2.0 engine. The mods you mentioned are pretty much all you can do.
Potential of NA engine is far less than forced induction engine... that's the reality.

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
Alright, I'm posting this because there's no word on anything related to turbo coming for our cars in the near future from what I can tell. So, I need just about anything and everything to make me go faster. I'm tired of sitting at 155hp but don't wanna get rid of my baby. So tell me, fellow Mazda peeps. How can I go faster?

Intake
Full Exhaust
Camshafts
E85/93 Octane Tune
Water/Meth??

What else can I do to wake this thing up? I realize the SkyActiv motor isn't a performance motor but there has to be some way to squeeze more power from it. I also noticed it appears that OVT took aftermarket camshafts off of his Mazda page as well. Starting to lose hope in having fun with this car. :(
Intake, nope, lots more noise, no real gains for too much money.
Exhaust, maybe a few HP, not a lot. Again, makes more noise.
Camshafts? Yeah, maybe 20hp but you'll need to wait until Matt has more made.
Tune, yeah, maybe 30 or so hp if its done right.
Water / methanol is more of a means of controlling knock than a way to make more power. In other words, your engine needs a reason to have it for it to be of any use, and the SA motor in anything remotely close to stock trim doesn't. Forced induction with high compression, or maybe with some sort of radical tune but otherwise no it won't have any benefit.
Other than that its pretty limited unless you have a ton of cash to throw at it and know how to do a lot more than just change a tire or put on mud flaps.
If your idea of fun is drag racing at stop lights, you have the wrong car.
If you want to be faster on the road, put some effort into the suspension. Decent springs and dampers, rear sway bar, adjustable rear camber and toe arms, etc. All the power in the world doesn't matter if you can't go around the first corner. Then, learn how to drive faster. Go to a couple HPDE days where there are instructors to show you how to drive your car faster.

·
Too Many Projects!
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you want to be faster on the road, put some effort into the suspension. Decent springs and dampers, rear sway bar, adjustable rear camber and toe arms, etc. All the power in the world doesn't matter if you can't go around the first corner. Then, learn how to drive faster. Go to a couple HPDE days where there are instructors to show you how to drive your car faster.
I guess I should've specified more in my post. I'm really looking to increase my 0-60 time more than anything. It just seems sluggish compared to everything around me. It's no fun hitting the throttle and not getting anything in return. As for the suspension, that was on the table but for later. For now the 3 handles exceptionally well in curves and corners. I think I've hit a plateau on how hard I can push the car safely around corners and such. No need to go any more crazy on that end.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think Arathol still answered your question:

"If your idea of fun is drag racing at stop lights, you have the wrong car."

Ironically, I removed my Injen SRI today and went back to stock..wow, what a diff, can't believe I had the Injen on for 1 and 1/2 years! Stick with stock! Unless you are thinking of a CAI, but still may not net you much.

I have a Magnaflow catback, and will be starting my OrangeVirus Tuning tune next week. I'll let you know how that goes.

·
Too Many Projects!
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Arathol still answered your question:

"If your idea of fun is drag racing at stop lights, you have the wrong car."
Yeah, and it sucks because I'm in love with every single other aspect of my car except for how sluggish it is. I do have my motorcycle license, maybe it's time to get another one to satisfy my needs. :laugh2:

·
Registered
234 Posts
0-60 times are not best friends with FWD cars... even with a turbo you would be spinning wheels on 1st and 2nd.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Tune really takes care of the lower end problems, You won't be getting insane 0-60 but it has a bit more to it. I'm tuned from OV and have suspension and 18x8's and the car is pretty great on a twisty road. I don't deny a fast car is probably really fun in a straight line but I like driving and until I get a car that goes fast on it's own that is my current opinion.

You can have fun with it, just not the way you want. Besides an open road with a lot of area makes you feel slower anyway. A tuned 2.5L would be nice to have though, those get close to 190whp instead of 160 on a tune.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
If your used to bikes then any car period will seem slow and sluggish, just my 2 cents.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Reactions: zs_3

·
Registered
510 Posts
best part is that you have a 2.0 engine and not the 2.5. there's already a turbo kit out there. The one developed for the mx5 would fit directly into the 3. not sure about other manufacturers, but the one done by BBR in the uk fits in perfectly for the 2.0 engine after having a chat with those guys about having it fitted into the 2.5. which he said, it'll most probably require a custom exhaust manifold..

also take a look at the LSD from wavetrac for the 6 which will fit the 3 if you're looking to go more power..

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
If you wanted more speed why did you buy a 3 with the 2 liter engine? The 2.5 would have been faster with 184hp instead of 155.
I too have wondered this, for the difference in many trims is $1,000 more to get the 2.5, and when one starts adding up tune, exhaust, and/or cold air, most are above the $1,000 diff.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Shed some weight!
Ditto

I'm going to need to new tires soon and I'm just going to buy lightweight wheels/tires combo from tire rack
Stock wheels are heavy
I'm sure it'll make a noticeable difference in acceleration from a stop

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
also take a look at the LSD from wavetrac for the 6 which will fit the 3 if you're looking to go more power..
Has this been confirmed? Has anyone with a 3 ever used it? How bad would the labour hours look like to install this?

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Not available where I live.
Thank you @johnykalbo. Yours is the best damn reason known to mankind.

I do like the plan/path many of you are embracing, e.g., going to lighter wheels/tires, for that is a great way to both functionally add more acceleration, and to maintain your warranty.

And of course that works regardless of engine size/power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts