2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
*The Electrician*
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Far too many unknowns right now to be chancing it. Gunna go OEM again this round. Last thing I want is to run out of rear brakes while Im waiting for shipping. Meanwhile Id wreck my EPB calipers which Im sure are probably very expensive to replace.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So, Im in a bit of a pinch, my rear brakes, pads/rotors need replacement, pretty much immediately. Things have been tight, haven't had any spare cash for this until now. I tried TDot since I got my front pads from them before and have been happy. Unfortunately EBC is not producing them currently and there is no ETA on when they will be available again. Sadly they can't just post that on the website, which means probably every other website has not updated and I could be ordering over and over again for nothing. I really don't want to go back to over priced OEM stuff. Unfortunately I have the worst model for finding rear brakes, 2017 2.5L GT, made in Japan, Electronic Park Brake. I really need to find pads/rotors ASAP before I end up with torched calipers which I definitely cannot afford to replace. Any ideas? Am I stuck with OEM again?
ROCKAUTO.COM pick and choose. I like Bendix pads!

·
*The Electrician*
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with Powerstops, slotted rotors and ceramic pads. For around $140, sometimes cheaper they work amazing. I was replacing about every 2 years on my normal OEM rotors and pads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've heard not so great things about PowerStop.. I'd go OEM over those.
CK
If it helps, I got PowerStop recently in. This was after a lot of research. So far, I am liking them; I did a lot of research before deciding on non-OEM. The pad feel is softer though so that was a bit of an adjustment due to the ceramic material.

That being said, I only have about two week's worth of experience with them so far. If any issues come up, I do hear their customer service is pretty on point. Of course, with brakes any issues are concerning. Maybe I'll update here if there's any news.

Hope you were able to get your brakes, midnight.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,119 Posts
I hope they work out well. Finding a set better than OEM for the rear would be nice. The OEM rear pads aren't the best.. fade real fast.. decent amount of brake dust too.

G-Loc seems like one of the few options for us.
CK

·
Registered
2016 3 Sport GT
22 Posts
PowerStop brakes are okay. They don't have the initial bite like the OEM pads. They'll start to really grab once you warm them up. When I mean warm them up, they'll only start grabbing maybe 5-6 secs in once you lightly engage the pedal. Once you start driving again they'll cool off to the point where it feels like they're slipping until the heat builds from the engagement. Would not recommend for city. Great for towing and stopping a 1500lb trailer load.

I've had mines since March 2020.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
252 Posts
PowerStop brakes are okay. They don't have the initial bite like the OEM pads. They'll start to really grab once you warm them up. When I mean warm them up, they'll only start grabbing maybe 5-6 secs in once you lightly engage the pedal. Once you start driving again they'll cool off to the point where it feels like they're slipping until the heat builds from the engagement. Would not recommend for city. Great for towing and stopping a 1500lb trailer load.

I've had mines since March 2020.
5-6 sec in .... im in the wall by then .... maybe great for tow and hauling and having to stop trailer weight.
I was on R1 concept front and back pads (Performance sport series pads) Brake Pads: Replacement Parts for Best Performance! - R1 Concepts
Switched the fronts to neomotorsport bbk (330mm C-Hook rotors , same size as Speed3 rotors) with their SP600 pads Brake Pads: Replacement Parts for Best Performance! - R1 Concepts
Too bad they dont make a pad with the same material for our rear rotors. I think Neo is made by Yellowspeed Yellow Speed Racing, USA - Fully Adjustable Coilovers & Big Brake Kits

·
Registered
2016 3 Sport GT
22 Posts
5-6 sec in .... im in the wall by then .... maybe great for tow and hauling and having to stop trailer weight.
I was on R1 concept front and back pads (Performance sport series pads) Brake Pads: Replacement Parts for Best Performance! - R1 Concepts
Switched the fronts to neomotorsport bbk (330mm C-Hook rotors , same size as Speed3 rotors) with their SP600 pads Brake Pads: Replacement Parts for Best Performance! - R1 Concepts
Too bad they dont make a pad with the same material for our rear rotors. I think Neo is made by Yellowspeed Yellow Speed Racing, USA - Fully Adjustable Coilovers & Big Brake Kits
I should re-clarify that. You still have braking action in the first 1-5 secs but it's really soft/slippy. After it cooks itself then it really starts to grab. You can then start to feel the jerk of the warmed up brakes after that.

If I could do it all over again. I would consider getting centric pads.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
252 Posts
I should re-clarify that. You still have braking action in the first 1-5 secs but it's really soft/slippy. After it cooks itself then it really starts to grab. You can then start to feel the jerk of the warmed up brakes after that.

If I could do it all over again. I would consider getting centric pads.
haha no worries... i figured thats what you meant and not that the first 5 sec felt like a runnaway train

21 - 30 of 30 Posts