2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
*The Electrician*
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Im in a bit of a pinch, my rear brakes, pads/rotors need replacement, pretty much immediately. Things have been tight, haven't had any spare cash for this until now. I tried TDot since I got my front pads from them before and have been happy. Unfortunately EBC is not producing them currently and there is no ETA on when they will be available again. Sadly they can't just post that on the website, which means probably every other website has not updated and I could be ordering over and over again for nothing. I really don't want to go back to over priced OEM stuff. Unfortunately I have the worst model for finding rear brakes, 2017 2.5L GT, made in Japan, Electronic Park Brake. I really need to find pads/rotors ASAP before I end up with torched calipers which I definitely cannot afford to replace. Any ideas? Am I stuck with OEM again?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,119 Posts
OEM.. unfortunately. G-Loc was my only other rear option, but my fronts (EBC Greens) are still doing good (half or more left). My rears were chirping on slow speeds and needed replacement already (OEM pads). I replaced the rears with OEM this time, but am hoping to find a good complete set for next time.
CK

·
*The Electrician*
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OEM.. unfortunately. G-Loc was my only other rear option, but my fronts (EBC Greens) are still doing good (half or more left). My rears were chirping on slow speeds and needed replacement already (OEM pads). I replaced the rears with OEM this time, but am hoping to find a good complete set for next time.
CK
Ya G-Loc is out of my price range for now, and there's no telling what the turn around time is now either. Kinda need something off the shelf asap lol. Sounds more and more like it's OEM or bust.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ya G-Loc is out of my price range for now, and there's no telling what the turn around time is now either. Kinda need something off the shelf asap lol. Sounds more and more like it's OEM or bust.
How much are the OEM brakes going to cost you? Have you tried Tirerack's brake products? I've never bought brakes or rotors from them, but they let you spread the payments over 3-12 months with Affirm. Not sure if that's offered in Canada, but it's great if you're in a pinch for cash and need something immediately.

There are other sites that offer Affirm as well, Tirerack is just the one I remember off the top of my head. I would normally advise against Affirm because their interest rates can be crazy high, but at least it's an option if you need it.

·
*The Electrician*
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much are the OEM brakes going to cost you? Have you tried Tirerack's brake products? I've never bought brakes or rotors from them, but they let you spread the payments over 3-12 months with Affirm. Not sure if that's offered in Canada, but it's great if you're in a pinch for cash and need something immediately.

There are other sites that offer Affirm as well, Tirerack is just the one I remember off the top of my head. I would normally advise against Affirm because their interest rates can be crazy high, but at least it's an option if you need it.
Nothing tire rack has access to right now helps me, it's the EPB that screws me. I'll accept OEM again, it did last 70,000km but I wanted more bite, less fade. The EBC yellows I have on the front have provided that, but I can't get my hands on them right now for the rear because of COVID. Unless there is a set sitting on a shelf somewhere, which I highly doubt. If TDot can't get them, very doubtful anyone else can. Unfortunately these specialized brake pads are not kept in stock, but are manufactured at the time of your order. That's how my fronts were, took about a month from order to arrival.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I think I paid $75 for a set of OEM pads for the rear.
CK

·
*The Electrician*
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So TDot has offered me this as an alternative, for the same price as the EBC set I had originally ordered. Seems like a downgrade for the same price, no? Price difference from that to stock is $35.

This is the original product I ordered

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I've heard not so great things about PowerStop.. I'd go OEM over those.
CK

·
*The Electrician*
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've got the similar situation but with the 2.0... but Japanese built with electric e brake. I got from disc brake Canada.. I've use there stuff and really like it... feel is good and doesn't overheat/shake when pushed to hot. No heat issues even on track where the stocks would shake after 1.5 laps... Friends are also using them on various cars and all are happy on street and track

Only problem was getting the non electric brake version first shipment but they fixed really fast... everything in stock, fast and great price.

I've got the stainless coated, cross drilled with carbon pads. Under performance stainless drilled doesn't show but online chat they'll send you the link for it...

Last comment... Enter Promotional Code CM25
it'll give you 15% off

·
*The Electrician*
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got the similar situation but with the 2.0... but Japanese built with electric e brake. I got from disc brake Canada.. I've use there stuff and really like it... feel is good and doesn't overheat/shake when pushed to hot. No heat issues even on track where the stocks would shake after 1.5 laps... Friends are also using them on various cars and all are happy on street and track

Only problem was getting the non electric brake version first shipment but they fixed really fast... everything in stock, fast and great price.

I've got the stainless coated, cross drilled with carbon pads. Under performance stainless drilled doesn't show but online chat they'll send you the link for it...

Last comment... Enter Promotional Code CM25
it'll give you 15% off
That shaking was actually the front OEM pads, I had it really bad on mine too, swapped for EBC yellows up front and the shaking was gone, same OEM rotors with 70,000km on them, still going strong. It's just my rears which the rotors and pads have worn very thin. Never felt any shaking from the rears.

·
*The Electrician*
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked the reviews for DBC, several ppl called them crooks......so Im definitely not buying from them.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have japanese rears and was able to get them from tire rack. They grip just fine. Last set lasted me like 90,000 miles.

·
*The Electrician*
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have japanese rears and was able to get them from tire rack. They grip just fine. Last set lasted me like 90,000 miles.
2017/18 tho? Something was changed apparently between 14-16 and 17-18.

I just searched thru tirerack.com for my model 17 GT hatch Jap EPB. 1 set of rotors available, which are actually pretty decent stop tech slotted ones, under consideration now. Unfortunately pads are no dice, they have nothing immediately available, either special order or not available till October. Covid has properly fuked up my ability to get good rear brakes lol.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
The rear pads and rotors have always been an issue on this model.. why'd they f around and add EPB to the mix?

OEM pads glaze over super fast and there are almost no alternatives. WTF?👎
CK

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
2017/18 tho? Something was changed apparently between 14-16 and 17-18.

I just searched thru tirerack.com for my model 17 GT hatch Jap EPB. 1 set of rotors available, which are actually pretty decent stop tech slotted ones, under consideration now. Unfortunately pads are no dice, they have nothing immediately available, either special order or not available till October. Covid has properly fuked up my ability to get good rear brakes lol.
Beg and plead a bit, and be willing to pay for air ship and you might be able to get them faster. Usually everything gets backed up onto a boat, but if they can airship from the factory you can do a bit faster. There also used to be companies than can take your old pads and rebuild them. Might want to research more into that.

·
Super Moderator
5,330 Posts
Beg and plead a bit, and be willing to pay for air ship and you might be able to get them faster. Usually everything gets backed up onto a boat, but if they can airship from the factory you can do a bit faster. There also used to be companies than can take your old pads and rebuild them. Might want to research more into that.
You can't ship what isn't being made. Shipping isn't the only thing being affected. Even if its being made, lots of places have shipping restrictions in place so its going to take forever to get anything. If you can find somebody who actually has the parts, DHL is still shipping from the Far East in a reasonable time, but the people on the other end have to be willing and able to use them.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
252 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts