2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The new revised tsb that was posted a few days ago didn't do anything for me, it actually made the ticking worse lol I brought it to the dealer after seeing that post and I was so disappointed that it didn't help and actually made it tick even more constantly :( So the past couple of days I've been trying to do the myself but with no luck :( Even with @Kurohouou direction on the other thread it didn't work for me.

However, tonight I looked around trying to see what else could be causing it and I looked under the windshield area and saw some spots that the dealer didn't touch yet. So I pulled out that little plastic cover and stuck a flat head screwdriver and twisted it so it can bend the metal.

Afterwards, I went for a drive down the same road where it would tick like crazy. To my amazement there was no more ticking whatsoever. I caught myself laughing like a mad scientist as the sound has gone. I don't want to get my hopes too high tho, might still be too early to tell so I'll report back in a week or so if the sound has been completely gone or not. Hope this helps those who still has this noise even after getting the tsb done.

Here are couple pics of what I did.

I pulled this plastic cover off

Stuck a flat head screw driver and bent the part circled in green

I'm suppose to take my car back to the dealer for them to check and possibly leave it overnight. I really really really hope the ticking sound doesn't come back.

Edit: Sorry, thought I posted in the TSB area

·
Registered
184 Posts
they ran out of glue or weld? I don't understand why you'd have two metal contacts rubbing against each other like that . :-/

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yhey're cutting cost lol

I kid, probably trying to make everything fit so tightly that it's bound to make noises...idk =/

·
Registered
348 Posts
I was thinking of doing the TSB myself. However, Ill try this before I take apart the cowl. Honestly, I've gotten used to the tick and creak. It give the car character like a old wooden boat.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of doing the TSB myself. However, Ill try this before I take apart the cowl. Honestly, I've gotten used to the tick and creak. It give the car character like a old wooden boat.
It's too new of a car to be an old wooden boat :D I tried getting used to it, but just couldn't lol It's just a more relaxing drive without that damn ticking.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thank you for posting this. It looks like a really simple fix. Much simpler than Mazdas fix. Could you post back later and let us know if the issue is permanently resolved for you?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for posting this. It looks like a really simple fix. Much simpler than Mazdas fix. Could you post back later and let us know if the issue is permanently resolved for you?
I'll definitely report back and keep this post updated but so far there's no more noise. Just got back from driving all over town and no more ticking. Hope this does the trick.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks for your post. I really hope this is the answer for the tick problem. I've had many rattle issues, but I've determined many of mine go away once the car bakes in the sun for an hour. I'm curious, was your a-pillar tick problem temperature sensitive, or would it tick at all temperatures?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your post. I really hope this is the answer for the tick problem. I've had many rattle issues, but I've determined many of mine go away once the car bakes in the sun for an hour. I'm curious, was your a-pillar tick problem temperature sensitive, or would it tick at all temperatures?

I really hope this is the answer too. The ticking sound was present no matter the temperature or if it's been sitting out in the sun all day. However, I do notice it ticks less on hot sunny days. When I got the car back in October temperature was in the 90's and it still ticked. Temperature today was in the 80's during the day and 60's at night and so far no more ticks.

I hope it stays this way. I remember after getting tsb done at dealer, right when I got on the freeway it started making the noise again lol

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just wanted to report back after a 1400 mile road trip. I will say I did hear a tick noise a few times on my trip, but it seemed to only happen around Ohio/Michigan.. they have horrible roads up there with lots of pot holes and cracks in the roads. But after leaving that area I haven't heard the tick again... So maybe the clearance I made wasn't quite enough.. or as the TSB or others have found maybe there is another spot as well that could cause the tick noise. I will say I think the new TSB is going overboard with banging up your car, what is it like 10 spots now they have you making gaps in! I would still recommend trying to fix it yourself, try to reproduce the tick noise and identify where its coming from before banging up your car so much. In my opinion Mazda should have a better fix.. unfortunately I think it would involve a lot of work and welding and painting on their part. Still, now that I am back home I haven't heard the tick again so I am happy :) At least we know its fixable.. just don't trust a dealer to do it right or without banging up 10+ spots all of your car and possibly not re-painting all the scratches and causing rust down the road.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I wasn't too happy about hammering all over and was even more pissed that they made the noise more after performing the revised tsb. I didn't want to bring it back to them anymore that's why I went looking for the noise myself. I actually couldn't duplicate the noise no matter where I press or pull =/

All I can say is so far the noise hasn't come back yet. Before doing the revised tsb I'll get a tick here and there but not that often. Now it seems to be completely gone no matter what road surfaces I drive on. It's very relaxing and enjoy driving this car even more now lol

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah I wasn't too happy about hammering all over and was even more pissed that they made the noise more after performing the revised tsb. I didn't want to bring it back to them anymore that's why I went looking for the noise myself. I actually couldn't duplicate the noise no matter where I press or pull =/

All I can say is so far the noise hasn't come back yet. Before doing the revised tsb I'll get a tick here and there but not that often. Now it seems to be completely gone no matter what road surfaces I drive on. It's very relaxing and enjoy driving this car even more now lol
If your latest adjustment continues to be rattle and tick free, then Mazda should reward you for fixing something their own engineers couldn't resolve. All the people who have had incorrect seams hammered on would be elated with your finding. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it's been over a week now and thought I give an update. I'm happy to report that the rattle/tick has not come back :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Gonna go try this today. I drive about 450 mi a week over all kinds of bumps n cracks so this should be a good test.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gonna go try this today. I drive about 450 mi a week over all kinds of bumps n cracks so this should be a good test.
Let us know how it goes :D I'm curious if this fix will work for others too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well i forgot to post on here. I went to look at that spot and on my car its actually spot welded in that area. Hmm guess im outta luck. Oh well the noise doesnt really bother me as on the highway the tire noise, wind noise, and radio drown out everything else lol.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i forgot to post on here. I went to look at that spot and on my car its actually spot welded in that area. Hmm guess im outta luck. Oh well the noise doesnt really bother me as on the highway the tire noise, wind noise, and radio drown out everything else lol.
Hmm wonder why mine is not spot welded. You looking at the same spot?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,I'm new to this forum.
I absolutely love my new Mazda 3,traded in my 2011 for the 2014.
I also have this ticking and am reading all of the posts. Mazda is going to try to fix it for me 2 weeks from now.
I'm a little nervous they will make it worse. It sounds like lowincash may have the answer!?
I found the exact spot you refer to from the pics and if Mazda fails at fixing it I will try this.
Its really easy to get at and I don't think mine is welded. This gen has WAY fewer rattles and ticks than my 2011 did. That thing was a rattle trap. Please keep us updated on your fix.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yup i even saved your pic on my phone to make sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the TSB done on my car yesterday,it took about 3 hours along with an oil change.
Have not heard the ticking since! I photocopied the TSB and showed it to them. Service guy asked
if he could keep it. He seemed really happy that I had it. I think they would have tore my dash apart if I did not have it. Whoever found this TSB bulletin and posted it should get a medal.
A big THANK YOU to whoever found it !!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts