2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my in progress project.

I took my HUD and gutted it. I figured out how to control the motor on the glass so I could raise and lower it and added my own microcontroller and display.

I had to widen out some of the plastic to account for the bigger display that I was putting in. Also made it a bigger HUD image which is nice.

Currently, I can read from the car's two can busses and display information from them. To start off with, I have the display showing the same data the OEM HUD displays; ldws, mrcc, speed. I've also added BSM alerts to the main page.

The cool thing is I can have a few different pages with data; main page and then a secondary one with rpm, gear, whatever.

Some things I'd like to add are: door/hatch/hood open warnings, compass, alerts from my radar detector, phone notifications, dashboard icons, etc.

If anyone has any cool suggestions on what else I can add, let me know. Also let me know what you think of the project!

Anyways, here's a couple of pics showing how it looks. First pic is the splash screen, second pic is the main driving display. (Excuse the messy desk; 6 projects going on at once haha)

IMG_20191226_231236__01.jpg

IMG_20191227_002608.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's really awesome! I installed AIO Android Auto, and the only thing I miss is the directions from the gps in the hud. Would be really cool if you could get information from AA to show up on the hud.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Amazing! Love the project and how near the graphics looks.

When I compare the monochrome one I got compared to the color one my father have, I just feel a lot of envy. But yours is even better.

It would be nice if it could display the speed limit of the road, same as it does the Navigation System on it's screen.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Amazing! Love the project and how near the graphics looks.

When I compare the monochrome one I got compared to the color one my father have, I just feel a lot of envy. But yours is even better.

It would be nice if it could display the speed limit of the road, same as it does the Navigation System on it's screen.
Not all models have the street sign recognition built into the car.

·
Registered
452 Posts
TSR is part of the NAV system, its not part of the car. You can have NAV without TSR but you can't have TSR without the NAV chip installed. RTFM.....
Dude whats your problem? You just repeated what i said and then cussed at me. We are talking about the HUD, NOT the CMU with Nav being displayed. And i dont have my "FM" to reference cause its in my car at the dealer, and yes ive read it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I didn't repeat you, I corrected you, there is a difference. TSR is not "built into the car" on any Mazda, its part of the software on the NAV chip.
Correct. I said as ir shows on the Navigation System. The HUD gets the info to displays the Speed Limit from the Nav, not for reading it from the signs

·
Registered
452 Posts
I didn't repeat you, I corrected you, there is a difference. TSR is not "built into the car" on any Mazda, its part of the software on the NAV chip.
Actually, the camera on the windshield is part of the TSR, so yes, its BUILT IN or NOT. The feature might be dependent on the Nav card, but if you dont have the camera, it simply wont work. This is in the manual...

Correct. I said as ir shows on the Navigation System. The HUD gets the info to displays the Speed Limit from the Nav, not for reading it from the signs
No, it reads the signs, because you can turn it off. Or maybe its a 2017 option only.

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
Actually, the camera on the windshield is part of the TSR, so yes, its BUILT IN or NOT. The feature might be dependent on the Nav card, but if you dont have the camera, it simply wont work. This is in the manual...

No, it reads the signs, because you can turn it off. Or maybe its a 2017 option only.
Thats not true either....In the USA anyhow you can access a rudimentary sort of TSR from the NAV system. It uses the speed limits and road signs that are logged into the system and displays them according to the GPS location. No camera needed. You do need the card however. The advanced true TSR uses the FSC to pick up the signs and display them. Just FYI TSR is different in the USA from what you can get elsewhere.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thats not true either....In the USA anyhow you can access a rudimentary sort of TSR from the NAV system. It uses the speed limits and road signs that are logged into the system and displays them according to the GPS location. No camera needed. You do need the card however. The advanced true TSR uses the FSC to pick up the signs and display them. Just FYI TSR is different in the USA from what you can get elsewhere.
I guess you didnt notice the little USA flag next to my name lol. Like i said, maybe its a '17 option only, cause it does pick up the signs just like the manual says and i know its not the NAV cause itll register construction speed limits and it changes as i pass them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I need to look at what the CMU is sending out over canbus and if there is speed limit data (fsc gen 1 so no proper tsr, have to rely on gps) I can display a speed limit sign in the corner.

I need to see if the CMU sends out any phone data or audio (currently playing)

Also AA AIO supports navigation information to the HUD with the latest version. It's buggy, but it's there.

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
I mean, it's cool and all, but you have your cluster panel right in front of you. Why does one need duplicate information?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I mean, it's cool and all, but you have your cluster panel right in front of you. Why does one need duplicate information?
Why not? It's a fun project. Why modify these cars at all? Why do engine mods to a slow econobox? Why do suspension mods for a grocery getter?

So then what's the point of any manufacturer adding a heads up display since the data there is inherently duplicated?

?‍♂

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Why not? It's a fun project. Why modify these cars at all? Why do engine mods to a slow econobox? Why do suspension mods for a grocery getter?

So then what's the point of any manufacturer adding a heads up display since the data there is inherently duplicated?

?‍♂
Not everyone is into cool car gadgets, smart assault rifles scopes and they're cool toys.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
This job is insane ! But I have some questions :
Did you see any limitation for 2014-16/Monochromatic HUD ?
Where are stored the modifications ? (HUD or somewhere else ?)
What kind of equipments do you need to realize something like that ?

Thanks for your awesome job again !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts