2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This last week has been the coldest in my area yet this winter. I have not yet got any more than About 31 MPG on a long non stop HWY trip in 10-20 degree weather.

Untill I did this.

Using I-Loop in the city up and down hills this week. I was able to get 32.8 by carefully keeping the I-loop charged at all times. I did this but driving 1 mile over the speed limit and back down 3 and then up 3 and back down to let the I-Loop charge.

I have not tested I-loop MPG on the HWY and will wait for my next road trip. But I have noticed I-loop becomes near useless with cruise control unless the cruise control hits the brakes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This last week has been the coldest in my area yet this winter. I have not yet got any more than About 31 MPG on a long non stop HWY trip in 10-20 degree weather.

Untill I did this.

Using I-Loop in the city up and down hills this week. I was able to get 32.8 by carefully keeping the I-loop charged at all times. I did this but driving 1 mile over the speed limit and back down 3 and then up 3 and back down to let the I-Loop charge.

I have not tested I-loop MPG on the HWY and will wait for my next road trip. But I have noticed I-loop becomes near useless with cruise control unless the cruise control hits the brakes.
I've noticed the same thing! But not as good as 32mpg. It's been a bit colder here, in the negatives, to which I got around 28 - 30 combined.

Would you say the i-ELOOP and Technology Package were worth spending $2500 on ?

What are the other features from that Package would you say is most convenient ?
I got the i-ELOOP with tech pack MINUS the adaptive radar cruise for $1600. I think it's well worth it right now, we'll see if there are any issues with i-ELOOP in the future..the lane departure system is cool but annoying. Hope I never have to see the smart city brake work. HID's are great! I personally never know when the active grill shutters are working...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Adaptive Cruise Control. To me that is worth a good chunk of the 2600 dollars (thats msrp btw, don't pay that). The safety features could easily pay for themselves as well. Is iEloop worth it.. well depends on how you drive and how much I guess. Could save you 100 bucks a year. If you keep the car for 5-6 years that's 5-600 dollars it can save estimating with about a 2 mpg better fuel savings at $3.50 a year driving 13000 miles a year. To me though, all the other technology plus iEloop is worth it.. just depends on if the other stuff is worth it to you or not.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not want the 2.5 at all but had to have the Radar cruise control, nice leather and extra tech. The I-Loop was allot of work to get my results. It was worth trying but even with my very slow driving style I don't think I could keep doing this longterm. I might try some Cruise controls mods that I have seen in the eccomodder's forum.

I've been A cheap ass too long, this year I had A chance to purchase about anything I wanted and did so. If a corvette would get me 50 MPG and 400 HP with all the gadgets I would have gotten one.
I do love My Mazda 3 and I do think I made A good choice getting this car. This car fits me well. Now I want to find out what kind of mileage I can tweak out of it. A few grand more I do not care.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I wonder how long this system will actually function without repairs needed. Also will the cost of fixing/replacing make that slight savings in fuel null and void (and possible throw it in a hole...)

This has actually been one of the huge things stopping me from getting the SGT (Well that and some of those damn radar systems....

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If they put high end capacitors in the car, that part should be fine for some time. I hope Mazda took allot of time and testing this before releasing it. In theory I know electronics like this could out last the car. The alternator's bearing could fail before the rest of the system. I wish Mazda would post more on the quality of the components in the I-Loop. It has more than A few people worried about it's dependability. Best hopes but time will tell.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Adaptive Cruise Control. To me that is worth a good chunk of the 2600 dollars (thats msrp btw, don't pay that). The safety features could easily pay for themselves as well. Is iEloop worth it.. well depends on how you drive and how much I guess. Could save you 100 bucks a year. If you keep the car for 5-6 years that's 5-600 dollars it can save estimating with about a 2 mpg better fuel savings at $3.50 a year driving 13000 miles a year. To me though, all the other technology plus iEloop is worth it.. just depends on if the other stuff is worth it to you or not.
EPA testing only shows 1 mpg difference which is $40 at 13,000 miles per year. I know you want to justify iELOOP, but there just is no financial justification for it. When you add a potential higher repair cost, it might wipe out ANY positive.

For that reason (and I did the math before my purchase), buying the tech package made absolutely no sense and was just throwing away money. That said, the radar cruise control was of interest and if I did more highway miles than the 3-4 trips I make per year, I might have splurged. But alas, there was no reason to get the tech package other than bragging rights and ego...

·
Registered
146 Posts
The capacitor should last the life of the car, IF it is a quality part. If it's some cheapo Chinese piece of junk capacitor, well, just like in our cheap Chinese TVs that break after 3-5 years, it'll probably fail after a few years too. That or if it's an under-rated part. Capacitors have a maximum voltage rating, and if exceeded, can make the cap fail prematurely.

The alternator is more likely to cause issues over time than the capacitor.

·
Registered
269 Posts
EPA testing only shows 1 mpg difference which is $40 at 13,000 miles per year. I know you want to justify iELOOP, but there just is no financial justification for it. When you add a potential higher repair cost, it might wipe out ANY positive.

For that reason (and I did the math before my purchase), buying the tech package made absolutely no sense and was just throwing away money. That said, the radar cruise control was of interest and if I did more highway miles than the 3-4 trips I make per year, I might have splurged. But alas, there was no reason to get the tech package other than bragging rights and ego...
When was the last time you trusted EPA ratings for one? I think real world benefits will show that it gets more then a 1mpg increase over normal cars.. only time will tell though and honestly we won't know any of that data for another few years. But its fine if you don't feel you wanted the tech package.. that's why it was an option :) I feel the tech package was well worth it for the safety features and adaptive cruise control alone.. iEloop is an added bonus to me :)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
When was the last time you trusted EPA ratings for one? I think real world benefits will show that it gets more then a 1mpg increase over normal cars.. only time will tell though and honestly we won't know any of that data for another few years. But its fine if you don't feel you wanted the tech package.. that's why it was an option :) I feel the tech package was well worth it for the safety features and adaptive cruise control alone.. iEloop is an added bonus to me :)
While I don't trust the EPA ratings for absolute totals, I do think the relative numbers are realistic. Do you often veer out of your lane? Do you often bump things when parking? Do you often rear end cars when driving in the city? Are you that person who always keeps their highs on and blinds me?

Like I said, if I did a lot of distance driving where I needed cruise control daily or weekly, I would have purchased the package. But if you take 3-4 driving vacations per year, do you really need it?

iELOOP is not a new technology -- it's been used on hybrids for years. If you have a hybrid or electric vehicle, it is very useful. But there is a reason Toyota, Honda, GM, and Ford do not use it on their gas vehicles even though they have better tech than Mazda is that it doesn't have virtually any benefit. There are things that I wish the car had like folding mirrors, an 8 way power seat and a power seat for the passenger, more interior lighting, and a way to add tweeters and a sub to the Bose system. I would have paid more for those useful features. But iELOOP? Give me a break.

If you want to buy the tech because it makes you feel good, then go right ahead. I have many more computers in my home than I need, but I don't try to justify them because I really can't. I just want them. So instead of trying to justify the purchase, just say that you wanted it and you got it.

The reason I post these kinds of things is not for people like you who have already purchased your car, but for people who get on these boards and want to know what to buy. With knowledge, they can make an informed decision.

I'm a geek -- I love tech. I love the tech on our car. But I have a lot of difficulty buying something when the company is trying to pull the wool over our eyes. iELOOP is a total waste of money by itself. Assuming half of the tech package is iELOOP (Mazda does list it first), and you get the tech package at a 20% discount, and you drive your car 13,000 miles per year, payback is 26 years!!!!! Even if I accept your unreasonable estimate of 2 mpg savings, payback is 13 years!!!!! Doesn't anyone take math anymore?

·
Registered
269 Posts
While I don't trust the EPA ratings for absolute totals, I do think the relative numbers are realistic. Do you often veer out of your lane? Do you often bump things when parking? Do you often rear end cars when driving in the city? Are you that person who always keeps their highs on and blinds me?

Like I said, if I did a lot of distance driving where I needed cruise control daily or weekly, I would have purchased the package. But if you take 3-4 driving vacations per year, do you really need it?

iELOOP is not a new technology -- it's been used on hybrids for years. If you have a hybrid or electric vehicle, it is very useful. But there is a reason Toyota, Honda, GM, and Ford do not use it on their gas vehicles even though they have better tech than Mazda is that it doesn't have virtually any benefit. There are things that I wish the car had like folding mirrors, an 8 way power seat and a power seat for the passenger, more interior lighting, and a way to add tweeters and a sub to the Bose system. I would have paid more for those useful features. But iELOOP? Give me a break.

If you want to buy the tech because it makes you feel good, then go right ahead. I have many more computers in my home than I need, but I don't try to justify them because I really can't. I just want them. So instead of trying to justify the purchase, just say that you wanted it and you got it.

The reason I post these kinds of things is not for people like you who have already purchased your car, but for people who get on these boards and want to know what to buy. With knowledge, they can make an informed decision.

I'm a geek -- I love tech. I love the tech on our car. But I have a lot of difficulty buying something when the company is trying to pull the wool over our eyes. iELOOP is a total waste of money by itself. Assuming half of the tech package is iELOOP (Mazda does list it first), and you get the tech package at a 20% discount, and you drive your car 13,000 miles per year, payback is 26 years!!!!! Even if I accept your unreasonable estimate of 2 mpg savings, payback is 13 years!!!!! Doesn't anyone take math anymore?
Not sure what point your trying to make? I already said its good Mazda made it an option so you don't have to use it if you don't want it. I said the Safety tech and Adaptive cruise control were enough to warrant the price for me. And no I don't veer out of my lane often, or hit things when backing up.. but its that one time it might happen and if the safety tech stuff saves me then it just paid for itself. I plan on keeping this car 6-10 years, the iEloop might not save a whole lot of money but every little bit helps.

Also I think the iEloop is maybe about 700 dollars, judging by the price of the 2TE tech package (without Adaptive Cruise Control it was originally 1600). And lets say invoice on that was 1400. So half of that is 700 bucks. Lets also say you drive 13000 miles a year, average 31mpg without it, 33mpg with it, at $3.50 a gallon. That's, $1468 a year vs $1379 a year respectively or a $89 dollar difference a year. So after 7.8 years, it would pay for itself assuming gas prices stay at $3.50. Not exactly a short time, but hey it helps the environment and might save you money in the long run. In the end it comes down to what you plan on doing with the car. If you don't drive much or don't plan on keeping it a long time and the tech stuff doesn't interest you then don't buy the option.. but to just flat out say "iELOOP is a total waste of money" I think is a mistake.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was not paying attention to the i-loop until recent. The lack of gas mileage the winter has me bored to find solutions. I was presently surprised how long the I-loop stays charged. By driving it like a hybrid eco modder I was pleasantly surprised with my results. Saving gas is not only to save money to me it is a hobby and an obsession. It's not for all and I understand that.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Not sure what point your trying to make? I already said its good Mazda made it an option so you don't have to use it if you don't want it. I said the Safety tech and Adaptive cruise control were enough to warrant the price for me. And no I don't veer out of my lane often, or hit things when backing up.. but its that one time it might happen and if the safety tech stuff saves me then it just paid for itself. I plan on keeping this car 6-10 years, the iEloop might not save a whole lot of money but every little bit helps.

Also I think the iEloop is maybe about 700 dollars, judging by the price of the 2TE tech package (without Adaptive Cruise Control it was originally 1600). And lets say invoice on that was 1400. So half of that is 700 bucks. Lets also say you drive 13000 miles a year, average 31mpg without it, 33mpg with it, at $3.50 a gallon. That's, $1468 a year vs $1379 a year respectively or a $89 dollar difference a year. So after 7.8 years, it would pay for itself assuming gas prices stay at $3.50. Not exactly a short time, but hey it helps the environment and might save you money in the long run. In the end it comes down to what you plan on doing with the car. If you don't drive much or don't plan on keeping it a long time and the tech stuff doesn't interest you then don't buy the option.. but to just flat out say "iELOOP is a total waste of money" I think is a mistake.
iELOOP is a total waste of money. There, I said it again. Anyone can fudge the math by doubling the mpg or cutting the cost, but we have to use the best data available -- and the only data I know of is the EPA of 1 mpg. So do you plan on keeping the car for 15 years?

Notice I didn't say that about the other items in the tech package. If I had significant use of any of those items, I would buy it even if iELOOP was a waste. If I took more trips, or parked a lot in a parking structure, or did a lot of city driving, I'd get it. My point is that people should be knowledgeable about what they are buying and make decisions accordingly. But again, iELOOP is a waste of money.

I've also said that buying the Mazda 3 just for the economy also makes no sense. We buy it because we like the way it handles, like the way it goes, like the way it looks, etc. The fact that it is supposed to have decent mpg just lets us feel better about our decision.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nice to see so much feedback on this. I have the $1600 tech package.. without adaptive cruise/forward obstruction warning but WITH smart city break support still ;-). I personally didn't care for the idea that it could think something was in front of you if they were ahead/next lane of you in a curve and prepare you to brake. I had dug up a Mazda tech note on it for customers complaining about it on the 6 so I stayed away.

Anyways... iELOOP, waste of money? Perhaps, but as noted it's only a few hundred dollars of the total tech package. It does charge when both coasting and braking, and I think with my loud music I drain it's charge faster? hah still have been breaking in the car and it's winter but I've been seeing good MPG's overall and I leave it on all the time. When I researched it before buying I found some comments from Mazda engineers bragging about how simplistic the system is and that the capacitor uses some sort of coconut derived materials. I leave it on and don't think about it, it not very noticeable and it's most useful in city environments of course since with cruise control there isn't much braking but some coasting if there is enough of a downhill!

I personally LOVE the lane support. I don't know... it's almost as if it makes it a game. I find myself staying more centered in lanes to avoid it going off particularly in curves. It surprises me how well it works sometimes and how well it locks onto lanes.

Auto high beams? Can be nifty, but only in some situations. I have lots of dark back roads to go down if I choose... I use it there because it's bright when I need it and does a fairly good job of knowing when an oncoming car is ahead. Sometimes goes off to other light sources that could be mistaken as headlights... does an OK job detecting brake lights ahead to not blind them. The darker the road your on, the better. Otherwise you can still of course flip the manuals.

Smart city brake support. This one I actually could not get to work and I had the dealer test it out, they said they could get it to work so I'm confident it's functioning. Apparently you have to be not controlling really anything in order for it to activate anywhere from 1-19mph I believe. I tried setting up a box and it didn't stop @ 10mph, but maybe I had let off the gas right before I hit the box not allowing it to activate.
HOWEVER... I think I know what this could also be intended for. For anyone that sits in stop n go traffic, getting sleepy can become a problem. For some it can be easy to start to nod off after a long days work... letting off the brake and bumping the car in front of you if you don't catch yourself. If the car can stop it's self here, then it's worth it to me for even 1 time.

·
Registered
269 Posts
iELOOP is a total waste of money. There, I said it again. Anyone can fudge the math by doubling the mpg or cutting the cost, but we have to use the best data available -- and the only data I know of is the EPA of 1 mpg. So do you plan on keeping the car for 15 years?

Notice I didn't say that about the other items in the tech package. If I had significant use of any of those items, I would buy it even if iELOOP was a waste. If I took more trips, or parked a lot in a parking structure, or did a lot of city driving, I'd get it. My point is that people should be knowledgeable about what they are buying and make decisions accordingly. But again, iELOOP is a waste of money.

I've also said that buying the Mazda 3 just for the economy also makes no sense. We buy it because we like the way it handles, like the way it goes, like the way it looks, etc. The fact that it is supposed to have decent mpg just lets us feel better about our decision.
Glad we all can voice our opinions :) But I will beg to differ and say I think the iEloop is a great idea and NOT a waste of money, its a good alternative to hybrid batteries for a light hybrid type system. Anything that can help reduce gas usage for a small price is worth it to me.

I will agree, just buying the car for its mpg doesn't make sense.. there are better cars that are designed just for that.. but the Mazda 3 is a great package that does a lot of things really good, mpg is just one of them :)

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Lets also say you drive 13000 miles a year, average 31mpg without it, 33mpg with it, at $3.50 a gallon. That's, $1468 a year vs $1379 a year respectively or a $89 dollar difference a year. So after 7.8 years, it would pay for itself assuming gas prices stay at $3.50.
That's crazy. Nearly 8 years to pay for itself. No justification in that at all in my opinion.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Rvoll = get your eco car out of my sports car.
Gasaver = get your sports car out of my eco car.

Well rvoll this car is what you want to make it. I'm one that likes to tweek things to improve them. I think I can make some nice gains in fuel economy with a few mods. You may want to leave the sport button on. It's a matter of personnel taste.

The base model coupe should be the best option out there on the market for a balance of price vs fuel economy and dependability.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's crazy. Nearly 8 years to pay for itself. No justification in that at all in my opinion.
That's about the amount of time that a lot of the hybrid's out there take for them to be cost effective as well vs their normal gas only models. I think more people buy hybrid's because they like the idea of saving gas even if it costs them some money up front. Whether that be to become less dependent on foreign oil, or save the environment or whatever. It's something lots of people are doing these days and I think if you have the money its a nice thing to do and is totally justified for some people. Luckily for us we all have the option to buy whatever we want so everyone can be happy :)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Glad we all can voice our opinions :) But I will beg to differ and say I think the iEloop is a great idea and NOT a waste of money, its a good alternative to hybrid batteries for a light hybrid type system. Anything that can help reduce gas usage for a small price is worth it to me.

I will agree, just buying the car for its mpg doesn't make sense.. there are better cars that are designed just for that.. but the Mazda 3 is a great package that does a lot of things really good, mpg is just one of them :)
Well, the data says that iELOOP is a waste of money -- even by your calculations which are highly inflated. And it is not a "light hybrid" as there are no electric motors. (If there were, then the iELOOP technology would be a necessity). And it isn't a small price for the system. It is a marketing gimmick.

I will be interested in seeing any data on how the system performs. I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but I think I'm on pretty safe grounds here. My guess is that in long run tests there will be practically no increased mpg -- not even the 1 mpg seen by the EPA as this system doesn't directly affect a gas engine. You also have to understand that the EPA numbers are NOT developed by the EPA, they take Mazda's word for it. The testing department is miniscule in size and they only test a handful of vehicles -- most of which are reported as being overstated. Why would Mazda ONLY add 1 mpg to the numbers? Don't they have the incentive of making it look even better? They added 1 mpg because if they told you the truth and showed the same mileage with or without iELOOP you wouldn't buy it.

We've jawboned this issue to death so I'm not commenting anymore. But I spent the early part of my career in corporate marketing and this is something we'd all have done...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts