Looking for opinions between the two. Hatchback automatics

igt hatchback - $24,031
Pros/cons : Leatherette heated seats
thrifty 2.0l
Accommodating wheel size, cushier ride
Dont like the moonroof

sgt hatchback - $24,806
Pros/cons: 2.5L although with 3 mpg hit highway
Wheel is lower profile, better for cornerning/ but stiffer ride.
Active display looks cool but iam iffy about its reliability
Don't care too much abt the led and foglights, I can add them later.

Is the S touring worth the extra price?

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
It's all subject to opinion. Most people will say get sGT. But it depends on which options are most important to you

·
Registered
356 Posts
dont forget the hids and led lights on the S touring. i like the shape and arrangement of the hid headlights in general.

is it worth it? for me no, i rather drive the manual i-GT. I would go for the s-gt iif you didnt want the moonroof. for $800 more you get bigger engine, hud, led tails, led drls, hids, better handling tires.

·
Registered
352 Posts

igt hatchback - $24,031
thrifty 2.0l
Dont like the moonroof

sgt hatchback - $24,806

Absolutely yes, without the slightest hesitation get the sTouring. For the price it's a complete no-brainer

iGT
- Leatherette/Heated Seats are identical between the loaded iGT and sTouring
- The 2.5l is not significantly worse in town mileage despite being noticeably gutsier in traffic.
- The ride quality on the 18" wheels is better connected but far from punishing. Driving both, I'd strongly prefer a >16" wheel. You'd have to drive through some very rough conditions to really think about it.
- You're not forced to tolerate the moonroof.

sTouring
- Active Display has proven reliable. Whether it's reliable 10 years down the road? Worst case disable it. Only "con" is that in bright sun it can cast reflections on the windshield although they're not bad compared to some cars I've owned.
- You can't add the HID/LED front lights or LED rear taillights for anywhere *close* to the $800 price difference. Just the rear taillights alone are that much from the dealer. Fogs? I could take them or leave them on this car, but if you're throwing them in the package... yes please!
- The sTouring has a more aggressive rear bumper and dual-outlet muffler/tailpipe, exclusive to the 2.5l hatch.
- You get the sport button.
- You get paddle shifters

There's a lot of extra value in the sTouring. The only reasons to get the iGT, IMHO, are if you live and die by a moonroof and/or if you do *lots* of highway driving (again, the 2.5l's mileage isn't super frugal but it's much better than engines with comparable power and more powerful than engines with comparable mileage in the class.)

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's worth mentioning that the resale on the sTouring will be a good bit higher with all the extra tech fluff and the larger engine I think.

·
Registered
51 Posts

igt hatchback - $24,031
thrifty 2.0l
Dont like the moonroof

sgt hatchback - $24,806

wait thats the lowest you get it for i got my igt for less than that

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think the different options here and there are basics
more to concern, are the engines,
if you are going to drive it a little faster, I really think for the same acceleration, 2.5 would do better mpg, if you are a hyper miler whom only cares about the most mpgs, stick with 2.0

·
Technical Director
303 Posts
We got the iGT, and we've been really happy with it. I would've liked the HUD on the sGT, but otherwise we've been pleased with the iGT. When we got ours, there wasn't even an sGT hatchback to take out for a spin. Gas mileage is a bit of a concern for us, we traded in a crappy gas guzzler that was paid for, and didn't want to guzzle more gas & make car payments. I don't think you could go wrong with either one, just go with your gut!

Response isn't bad in the iGT. Granted it's not an RX8, and I drove both on different days this week, but it handles about as well as the RX8.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes if you really want the hub , the sgt is the best choice but gas wise perspective the igt is better. really a preference type of comparisons. The led headlights, I am not worried about it since i will be designing a one of a kind for mine, also designing my hood, and slap on the aerokit which imo looks great. lol ooo and the 16" rims is sooooooo ugly on the hatch. 18's are the best way to go without losing much performance but the SGT already comes with 18s.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No one ever regrets having the higher spec model of anything. If you're questioning buy the S

I didn't question so I bought the iGT. That's me.

Buy the S

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would have gone for the iGT instead of the ITouring if they only would have put cloth seats in the iGT. I don't like the leatherette.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I love my sTouring. I couldn't even find an iGT within 70 miles of me. after looking at the differences I knew I wanted an iTouring, the headlights and 2.5l alone are worth it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
dont forget the hids and led lights on the S touring. i like the shape and arrangement of the hid headlights in general.

is it worth it? for me no, i rather drive the manual i-GT. I would go for the s-gt iif you didnt want the moonroof. for $800 more you get bigger engine, hud, led tails, led drls, hids, better handling tires.

Yup, I'd rather have the manual, so iGT it is.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you are deciding on specs alone go for the sT. Most people get the iGT because they want the manual with all the options like myself.

I would have gone for the iGT instead of the ITouring if they only would have put cloth seats in the iGT. I don't like the leatherette.
I wanted the same. I priced out a iT w/Tech and added the moonroof. It came out more expensive than an iGT. I really wanted cloth but the leatherette has grown on me and the red stitching on the seats add to the overall interior aesthetics.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you are deciding on specs alone go for the sT. Most people get the iGT because they want the manual with all the options like myself.

I wanted the same. I priced out a iT w/Tech and added the moonroof. It came out more expensive than an iGT. I really wanted cloth but the leatherette has grown on me and the red stitching on the seats add to the overall interior aesthetics.

Yup. What I'd *really* rather have is an "s Sport" - 2.5 with cloth and a manual transmission, with the ability to add a few things like the Tech package.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So decided upon the igt hatchback automatic. Price without taxes/titles/fees comes to $23,322 . As soon as I settle with my totaled car, I am jumping on that deal.

·
Registered
310 Posts
depending on depreciation I may trade sideways to a base speed model, depending on what platform they use.

Car&Driver is saying no new Speed3 until model year 2018. Heck, I'll have my car (that I don't even have yet) damn near paid off by then!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Car&Driver is saying no new Speed3 until model year 2018. Heck, I'll have my car (that I don't even have yet) damn near paid off by then!
haha well. who knows. maybe ill keep the 3 (for the lady) and buy a speed for myself then! Im gonna need a more modest daily. When the El Camino is done, it would be ridiculous to daily drive. Just talked to the machine shop today, I should be at about 430hp at the crank.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I compared the two and decided on the iGT auto. Didn't care for the HUD, bigger wheels only means more expensive tires and since I drive 2500-5000 miles a month, the extra 3MPG matters. (I'm getting 37-40). The 2.0 is no slouch in the power department and buy not getting the 2.5, it may save me pretending im in a race car so I have less chances of a ticket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts