2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Mazda related, I promise.

Checked my battery with the load tester today and it was definitely getting weak. The 520 cold cranking amps of the original battery was putting out less than 100 in the heat. Time for a new battery!

Decided I'd do the dirty Walmart. Pulled the old one in the lot and tossed it in a shopping cart. I figure I can get the core charge back all in one go. Find my replacement and then the fun begins.

First thing was people can't figure out what a line up is. The staff had to kick multiple people out of the till lines, the usual covid lineup not far from the tills apparently doesn't exist.

But then the real treat. I have my old battery that looks like a used up hooker next to the nice shiny new one. Cashier asks if I'm buying two batteries....

Sorry, I know Walmart routinely sells garbage but I didn't know they sell old dead batteries with a literal pile of corrosion on top of them.

Real Mensa club in there.

My rant is done.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Car repairs of all kinds are best done elsewhere.

They are efficient at selling bulk goods off the shelf at low prices. Stuff in shopping carts need to be wrung up. It has probably been weeks since the last time someone walked out with something like a battery that they walked in with.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
They do a good volume of batteries so they make a good place to buy them. Personally, I much prefer my Northstar battery with a 5 year warranty. But I spent roughly 360 on it. You probably spend much much less.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About $170 CAD whatever that works out for in your dollar. From what I've read, Walmart strangely has the best of the cheap batteries. Used to be Costco, but apparently they switched manufacturers few years back and not so much anymore.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Walmart is fine if you know what you need and can walk in and pick it off the shelf. I would never depend on them for specific knowledge or service. It is not their specialty.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Read somewhere a few years back that Walmart employees in the tire/battery department get paid the lowest rates vs. other auto-related shops. Anyone with enough experience or technical expertise to make more $$ working at another auto facility will have done so already. The employees you see at Walmart are the ones who can't make that transition. Occasionally, you'll meet someone there who's surprisingly bright and helpful... but chances are, the next time you visit, they'll have moved on too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is Mazda related, I promise.

Checked my battery with the load tester today and it was definitely getting weak. The 520 cold cranking amps of the original battery was putting out less than 100 in the heat. Time for a new battery!

Decided I'd do the dirty Walmart. Pulled the old one in the lot and tossed it in a shopping cart. I figure I can get the core charge back all in one go. Find my replacement and then the fun begins.

First thing was people can't figure out what a line up is. The staff had to kick multiple people out of the till lines, the usual covid lineup not far from the tills apparently doesn't exist.

But then the real treat. I have my old battery that looks like a used up hooker next to the nice shiny new one. Cashier asks if I'm buying two batteries....

Sorry, I know Walmart routinely sells garbage but I didn't know they sell old dead batteries with a literal pile of corrosion on top of them.

Real Mensa club in there.

My rant is done.
Walymart only if you carry out!!! Bat @ Cosco, Tractor Supply and actually AAA Club has a fair price on their HD winter bat. We are using a smart charger which fixes our OEM Japan 2015 battery (almost lost it) and keep our AAA card handy. They deliver and install on site. Cosco 2nd choice.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
260 Posts
Curious... how much does a new battery weight ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts