2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, recently joined as I just took delivery of my 2017 3 GT a couple of weeks back. Loving this car, came over from a 2012 Focus. Its too bad the Focus' DCT transmission was giving me anxiety attacks, wondering when it would fail again...and again...and again after already going through 4 clutch packs in 5 years and warranty expiring. Either way this 3's smooth as butter and loving the 2.5L's power output!
That aside, question to you folks. I have a set of Genesis rims with summer tires currently sitting around. Will these rims be usable without requiring any offset parts and for use for winter tires? The Genesis rims' specs are:

Rear wheel dimensions are:
245/45 R18 96V
245/45 R18 96V
18x8.0 +33
Front wheel dimensions are:
225/45 R18 91V
225/45 R18 91V
18x7.5 +33

Center Bore:
67.1mm

Lug Pattern:
5x114.3

I'm not very familiar at all with wheel fitment and customization, so any help in understanding if these rims can be utilized for winter tires with minimal customization or parts being required would be helpful.

P.S I'll be doing a phone mount on the windshield and rear/front dashcam install soon once the appropriate fuse taps arrive and will be putting it up for those curious as to the how-to for these things will be for those who'd like to get it going on their 3's too. I had a hidden usb plug in setup for the appropriate current draw based on the connector types to be utilized (3.0A, 1.5A, 1.2A, 0.5A) for my Focus before. Dashcam will be a new thing being installed. Also will probably put up a how to for mudguards and bug deflectors. Crappy weather at the moment in T.O so abstaining to warmer weather.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
+33 is a bit wide for your car. Might be a tight fit. Bolt pattern is good. You have the car and the rims, only one way find out.........:smile2:

Generally though you should keep the same size tires all around. Might make for some tricky handling issues in a FWD car.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Grats on landing a great 1 & welcoM3 hoM3.:)
Et33 isn't just gonna be aggressive, it'll rub w/o rolling fenders & tweaking camber. The tires aren't just wide, they'll be way taller than the stock 215/45/18s
If you prefer no tweaking, look for something 8.5 or narrower w/ offset +45up.
You can go 19s. Mine are 19x8.5 et45 w/ 225/40s here. Nothing tweaked, alignment w/in specs, no rub...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mighty fine looking car there, and thanks for the feedback to you both. Yeah I've had these left over rims from my a previous car owned by a sibling and as such thought maybe I could put them to use for winter tires. I'd rather not mess with the handling if the dimensional differences could potentially impact handling, especially up here in Toronto where winters can get pretty bad.

As a sidenote, I noticed the MS3 badge you've got. I went looking for MS3's when I was shopping for a Mazda and was sad to note Mazda is holding off on MS3s for now :(

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Mighty fine looking car there, and thanks for the feedback to you both. Yeah I've had these left over rims from my a previous car owned by a sibling and as such thought maybe I could put them to use for winter tires. I'd rather not mess with the handling if the dimensional differences could potentially impact handling, especially up here in Toronto where winters can get pretty bad.

As a sidenote, I noticed the MS3 badge you've got. I went looking for MS3's when I was shopping for a Mazda and was sad to note Mazda is holding off on MS3s for now :(
Thanks, sir. My initial intention was a simple debadge, but the hatch has holes behind the mazda3, non on the skyactiv.....just stuck the MS badge I had laying around to cover em holes.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,
Just jumped on the forums. First post. Lost my Genesis coupe in a crash a couple weeks back and joining you guys with a 2017 hatch GT. had both oem sets, 18 and 19s. Man the 18's are heavy. They are also staggered so for a FWD, unless ur dragging, I think thats a general nono.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts