2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, HOLY FUCKING SHIT!
What a noticeable difference!!!

This combined with my CS intake w/inlet pipe gave my MS3 close to a 100HP gain (according to spec) and honestly I would say that is about accurate.

I recommend that every speed3 owner gets one. Well worth the $450!

First and second gear have no lag what so ever. The throttle is soooooo much more responsive. There is no more boost limit in gears 1-3. When you floor it in 3rd, you fly!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Glad you like the HyperTech.

Honestly, most Speed3 owners on here as well as other forums rely on the COBB AccessPort for their tuning and monitoring.

I had considered the HyperTech for my 2010 but after reading up on the AP and finding our how customizable it is and how invaluable it is as a monitoring device as well as flash tuner the decision went to the COBB AP...and with the AP being only ~$50 more it was a decision I was/am comfortable with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I considered the COBB AP, but there was something about it that made me feel apprehensive. I kept seeing things about having to upgrade the fuel pump and that kind of made me weary.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Understandable...although the fuel pump concerns are valid for any Speed running a more aggresive tune than stock, so youmay not be immune from it either.

I don't say that to alarm you, just to let you know that you should look into some sort of monitoring device that will allow you to monitor fuel pressure if you're going to modify and tune the vehicle for increased power.

With your only mods being the CS intake/tip and the HT flash you should be fine (if you're planning additional power mods like a downpipe or racepipe things will change), but I tend to err on the side of caution especially when it comes to my cars.

Again, I'm glad the HyperTech is meeting your expectations.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, its really useful. I don't think I will be doing any more performance mods though. I am very careful when it comes to my cars as well. I baby the shit out of this car. What is the worst case scenario? Car explodes? No biggie haha!

Does the cobb monitor the fuel pressure?
It's not too late to return the one I have

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Yeah...the COBB can be used to monitor a couple dozen paramters one at a time. It can also datalog so that you can get an idea of how the car is behaving and how the logged parameters coincide.

It's definitely an invaluable tool to monitor the car's "health". Not to mention that you can runt an "Off The Shelf" tune designed by COBB which will be much like HyperTech's OR you can customize tuning parameters specifically for the way your car behaves if you choose to (unlike the HyperTech which is solely set and forget).

·
Registered
27 Posts
one thing leaning me towards the hypertech is that Cobb isnt really actively involved in anything MS3 ... but the AP has the launch control :::drool:::

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
one thing leaning me towards the hypertech is that Cobb isnt really actively involved in anything MS3
Not sure what you mean by that statement...considering that they continue to develop and support the AP with firmware updates and new OTS maps, I'd say that they are very actively involved with the MS3.

How often does HyperTech refine their tune when new information is gleaned with the MS3's ECU logic?

How often does HyperTech respond to question about the platform on their own personal forum as well as the other MS3 specific forums out there?

If you're referrring to the development of hard parts for the MS3 then, yes, they have scaled back development...but honestly, there are already a quite few developers of hard parts for the MS3 but only a couple of easy tuning solutions. Their decision to focus on ECU tuning/development is a wise one and one that is very much needed with this platform.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Hypertech isn't even in the same league as Cobb's Ap. Hypertech is a generic tume with exagerated hp gains that doesn't take any of your mods into consideration. Cobbs included off the shelf maps include specific maps for all the popular mods from all the top manufacturers. Cobb's Ap is fully customizable with their free ATR software to your specific needs. If you'd like to improve on one of their off the shelf maps you can do it yourself. Cobbs engineers answer questions on their own Cobb forum and also on Mazdaspeed forums.org The Ap is actively supported and updated periodically by the software engineers at Cobb with downloadable software revisions. As they break new codes from the Mazda ecu they release an update and give us access to it. From a mild tune with only a few mods to a wild full blown big turbo build Cobb has maps for you.. The Ap lets you monitor your engine parameters in real time and also lets you create datalogs in EXEL format so you can compere before and after changes that you make. Cobb has vendors around the country where they will tune your car on a dyno and tune it with Cobbs ATR software ( for a fee) too.The Ap has you covered. All for $50 more than the Hypertech.
Cobb used to make springs and swaybars for the MS3. With everone and their mother getting in on the spring and swaybar act I don't blame cobbs for not making these items anymore. They still make an intake and catted downpipe though. Everything that Cobb makes is top quality and supported fully.

Reactions: E.Tinker

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hypertech isn't even in the same league as Cobb's Ap. Hypertech is a generic tume with exagerated hp gains that doesn't take any of your mods into consideration. Cobbs included off the shelf maps include specific maps for all the popular mods from all the top manufacturers. Cobb's Ap is fully customizable with their free ATR software to your specific needs. If you'd like to improve on one of their off the shelf maps you can do it yourself. Cobbs engineers answer questions on their own Cobb forum and also on Mazdaspeed forums.org The Ap is actively supported and updated periodically by the software engineers at Cobb with downloadable software revisions. As they break new codes from the Mazda ecu they release an update and give us access to it. From a mild tune with only a few mods to a wild full blown big turbo build Cobb has maps for you.. The Ap lets you monitor your engine parameters in real time and also lets you create datalogs in EXEL format so you can compere before and after changes that you make. Cobb has vendors around the country where they will tune your car on a dyno and tune it with Cobbs ATR software ( for a fee) too.The Ap has you covered. All for $50 more than the Hypertech.
Cobb used to make springs and swaybars for the MS3. With everone and their mother getting in on the spring and swaybar act I don't blame cobbs for not making these items anymore. They still make an intake and catted downpipe though. Everything that Cobb makes is top quality and supported fully.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
"word"

·
Registered
292 Posts
Wish AP worked with the MZ3 as well. I mean they're different motors but I can't imagine the ECU and how it's coded can't be much different between platforms. Would much prefer that than to ship out my entire ECU for a reflash.

·
Gold Member
147 Posts
I was just at the Cobb Austin meet on the 6th of October and was discussing tuning with them and was told that the Austin Cobb will no longer be doing tunes until sometime next year as they were focusing on the R&D (think thats right) that has started to fall behind because of doing so many custom tunes. There are tons of new upcoming mods from Cobb coming out real soon, like the front mounted intercooler among others. So I would say they are really focused on getting mods for the mazdaspeeds out there. Plus next Cobb meet in Austin I will ask them whats coming out soon or you can check thier blogs on the Cobbtuning.com website.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glad you like the HyperTech.

Honestly, most Speed3 owners on here as well as other forums rely on the COBB AccessPort for their tuning and monitoring.

I had considered the HyperTech for my 2010 but after reading up on the AP and finding our how customizable it is and how invaluable it is as a monitoring device as well as flash tuner the decision went to the COBB AP...and with the AP being only ~$50 more it was a decision I was/am comfortable with.
Do you know what is available for a 2013 mazda 3 gt?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Nothing from either Cobb or Hypertech. Both companies only tune turbocharged engines.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Turbo s only

Nothing from either Cobb or Hypertech. Both companies only tune turbocharged engines.
I just ran an update when i put the hypertech on my wifes 2012 speed3 and they had a tune for a 2008 MX5 Miata (I noticed because we traded one in on my wifes speed) which is not a turbo. And I think they may do a Mazda3 GT.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
So Hypertech does support some n/a engines. I didn't know that. The Hytertech tune gives the 2008-2010 Miata a 7hp and 11lb torque increase. Is that even noticable? Is it even worth it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So Hypertech does support some n/a engines. I didn't know that. The Hytertech tune gives the 2008-2010 Miata a 7hp and 11lb torque increase. Is that even noticable? Is it even worth it.
Maybe not , but they could buy used and download free the tune for their car. I agree new it's not worth it but used and maybe with intake and exhaust maybe helpful. I bought my wife's for $200 and mine for $135. I monitor mine with an iPhone app after I add something to the car. Of course both of ours are speeds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hypertech

I never planned on doing much with my Mazda3Speed 3 but after much readin, I went with the cob intakeand you can see the rest of the mod listed below. I used an ultra gauge to monitor and again got this from reading all the forums, so thank you. My fuel trims were way off. Consistently 14 to 16. Just got the Hypertech in the mail, and crossover Auto sells s it for 350 shift. I installed it and my fuel trims are perfect. There is 0 0. Took it for real quick spin in the main thing I was looking forward to was simply making my fuel trims normal and second the first and second gear with boost. Reading everyones reviews made me skeptical but when you punch it in first or second, you now spin your tires with all that boost. I've only driven an eighth of a mile but I can't wait to drive to work. 80 miles of uphill downhill sharp bends slight Bends and highways. I will post again when I have driven a little more but for now I could not be happier. Thank you

1 - 20 of 38 Posts