2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see most people installing their resistors in the front, which seems really difficult to reach... and to isolate the resistor from other wires (resistors get very hot). I tried looking up if I could install the resistors in the rear, and have them work for the front signal bulbs, but I couldn't find a definitive answer... so I gave it a shot myself. It works!

I can honestly say that installing the LED resistors was easier than installing the LEDs themselves. The passenger side singal light was a royal pain to get to.

Having the resistor's with mounting plate from V-LEDs made things a LOT easier.

The rear signal bulb only has two wires, just tap into those two wires with the two wires from the resistor... and you're done! Again, make sure that your resistor is far from any other wires or plastic that can melt if it's too close.

Here's a few pics of where I mounted the V-LED resistors. I just used the bolts that were previously there, so there was no drilling new holes was required for this install.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure! I just went out and took a few shots, but it's really dark out and I just found out how terrible my phone's camera is with color accuracy :p

The bulbs are the 6000k 48 LED V-LED Switchbacks

The white is definatly a pure white with a slight hue of blue. I ordered some DDM 6000k HID's to hopefully match them. I currently have 5000k HID's installed and they look slightly yellow compared to the switchbacks.

I'm hesitant to upload these pictures due to how terrible the colors look.
I'll post them anyway... but don't trust these pics to represent the actual Kelvin. They defiantly look 6000k in real life.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you running stock signal bulbs in the rear? I am planning to install LED signals in the front and rear and was wondering how many resistors i would need. In other words, if i installed resistors just like you did (in the rear) would it fix the hyper blink for both front and rear??

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Does anyone know if this will work if you also have LED fender signals?

If anyone that has tried this has OEM fender signals - can you try taking the fender signal out and checking if the hyper flash comes back?

Pleease :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
my led switchbacks start to flicker then go off

I have the resistors installed in the back and that took care of the hyper-flash but i still have a problem with after my car runs for awhile (around 20 mins or so) the leds parking lights start flickering in and out and then just go out. thankfully the amber turn signal still kicks in but does anyone have any ideas or suggestions y this is? I love the way the look when they are on but if they go out its like whats the point

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the resistors installed in the back and that took care of the hyper-flash but i still have a problem with after my car runs for awhile (around 20 mins or so) the leds parking lights start flickering in and out and then just go out. thankfully the amber turn signal still kicks in but does anyone have any ideas or suggestions y this is? I love the way the look when they are on but if they go out its like whats the point

Mine does this also, But just flickers the white when driving looks like a cop car lol any help guys?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I recently bought a 7443 LED from autolumincation, but whenever I turn on my headlights, my signal lights go on too, when i signal the signal light flashes but stays on if i turn off signal, anyone know whats going on? is it my LED?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Problem on led switchbacks

Just installed my vled switchbacks... Got a problem.. Can anyone help??

When i turn on the parking ligths they work just fine.
As soon as i turn my headlights on (running VVM HIDs) the driver side led turns of .. The one on the passenger side works fine.. Everything else works while headlights are on... Just the white led is of

I disconnected the hid from the drivers side and they now work...

Anyone got a clue on what may be??

Thanks in avance

Mazda32010 hatchback

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wired my resistors in the rear as well, except I just mounted them with double sided tape up higher (above the tail light, had to remove all of the covering in the back to do that). So much easier than putting them up front, and much less chance they will break from any sort of wear!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks for this useful thread. I installed some led switchbacks in the rear just like the pictures and everything went smooth no hyper flash, easy 15-20 minute install.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Do I want the 3ohm or 6ohm? Does it make a difference? I need the 4 bulb resistor but VLEDs doesnt have a 4 bulb with 6ohm.
I think if you are replacing 4 bulbs you need two 3 ohm resistor and if only 2 then you need two 6ohm resistor. That's what I gathered from looking at the resistor options on superbrightleds.com but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Make sure the resistors are making a connection in the splice connects.... When I did mine they didn't fix it at first ... I then took a pair of pliers and pressed the connectors extra hard together to make a definite connection and my problem was solved....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide App

·
Mat D. aka JESUS
87 Posts
Has anyone figured out a way to solve the problem with the switchbacks turning off after driving for about 20 minutes while the headlights are on? I love the look but it's pointless to have if they aren't going to work. When the white light goes out on mine, the amber turn signal doesn't work either.. Got pulled over for not signaling even tho I was.. Can anyone help?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm guessing that either wire on each side of the resistor can be wired to either wire of the 2 reverse tail bulbs?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Has anyone figured out a way to solve the problem with the switchbacks turning off after driving for about 20 minutes while the headlights are on? I love the look but it's pointless to have if they aren't going to work. When the white light goes out on mine, the amber turn signal doesn't work either.. Got pulled over for not signaling even tho I was.. Can anyone help?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Never seen this happen or heard of it since I've gone on road trips and had mine run for 8+ hours straight no problems....

I'm guessing that either wire on each side of the resistor can be wired to either wire of the 2 reverse tail bulbs?
That's correct....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts