2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just came back from the dealer, showed them all the issues I was having. For the HVAC issues, the service tech said it was "normal" seeing as the car senses the ambient temperature and it takes time to adjust. I see it as a minor annoyance with no long term consequences to the vehicle. I also found that playing around with the temp controls (going from 15.5 to low and back to 15.5) would seem to solve the issue. I didn't push more than that.

A little off-topic, but ... perhaps you wouldn't mind reporting here on the forums if you get any solutions re. 'rattles'? As I'm sure you know, quite a few of us are experiencing them (doors; dash; etc.).
I had/have two rattles. Unfortunately was only able to replicate the passenger airbag rattle. The service tech tightened the airbag screws and shoved foam between the dash and window. So far, no more rattle. He did a pretty mediocre job with the foam as its quite noticeable. I'll try to adjust it myself.

The second rattle I had (could not reproduce) was in the driver side B-Pillar right next to my left ear. It's no longer rattling so nothing was fixed.

Hey please let me know what dealer you will be taking your car too. Im from toronto and want to take it to the same dealer if possible for the cylinder deactivation vibration problem

More complaints. They might actually do something
I'm not a Torontonian, I'm from south of Montreal, drive might be a little far from you. I took my car to Mazda Barnabe St-Jean. Service tech updated my car's PCM with the latest software. I was on Rev J, he updated it to Rev K. We took out a new Mazda 3 GT to compare it to mine and we could not even get the car to go into 2-cylinder mode. My car (with update) now does not drive on 2-cylinders, strictly staying on 4-cylinders. He could not explain the difference between the software revisions but my guess is that Mazda "refined" the requirements to enable 2-cylinder mode and during cold days, it no longer allows it. The vibrations and annoyances of 2-cylinder mode are now gone, I felt it activating way too quickly and I don't care about taking a minor penalty in fuel economy to ensure longevity.

Don't want to hijack the thread about HVAC issues. If any has any questions, feel free to PM me.

Cheers!

·
Registered
119 Posts
The service tech tightened the airbag screws and shoved foam between the dash and window.
Can you explain this rattle? i have a bit of minor rattle coming from passenger side, but i'd already taken care of the airbag. Is this along the windshield? or along the door?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just came back from the dealer, showed them all the issues I was having. For the HVAC issues, the service tech said it was "normal" seeing as the car senses the ambient temperature and it takes time to adjust. I see it as a minor annoyance with no long term consequences to the vehicle. I also found that playing around with the temp controls (going from 15.5 to low and back to 15.5) would seem to solve the issue. I didn't push more than that.
Do you have a sunroof? In mine without a sunroof, the problem is not a minor annoyance. There is a significant temperature difference between the head level and the foot level. It would not be acceptable in a $10,000 used car. It is beyond unacceptable.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

I had/have two rattles. Unfortunately was only able to replicate the passenger airbag rattle. The service tech tightened the airbag screws and shoved foam between the dash and window. So far, no more rattle. He did a pretty mediocre job with the foam as its quite noticeable. I'll try to adjust it myself.

The second rattle I had (could not reproduce) was in the driver side B-Pillar right next to my left ear. It's no longer rattling so nothing was fixed.

I'm not a Torontonian, I'm from south of Montreal, drive might be a little far from you. I took my car to Mazda Barnabe St-Jean. Service tech updated my car's PCM with the latest software. I was on Rev J, he updated it to Rev K. We took out a new Mazda 3 GT to compare it to mine and we could not even get the car to go into 2-cylinder mode. My car (with update) now does not drive on 2-cylinders, strictly staying on 4-cylinders. He could not explain the difference between the software revisions but my guess is that Mazda "refined" the requirements to enable 2-cylinder mode and during cold days, it no longer allows it. The vibrations and annoyances of 2-cylinder mode are now gone, I felt it activating way too quickly and I don't care about taking a minor penalty in fuel economy to ensure longevity.

Don't want to hijack the thread about HVAC issues. If any has any questions, feel free to PM me.

Cheers!
This is not normal. Mazda is aware of the issue. They had released a tsb on it a while back

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)

Cheers!
So they have released a PCM update for the cylinder deactivation?

Just an FYI though. When the PCM is updated or power is lost, the deactivation system won't turn on for almost 100 to 150 km

·
Registered
52 Posts
Can you explain this rattle? i have a bit of minor rattle coming from passenger side, but i'd already taken care of the airbag. Is this along the windshield? or along the door?
Mine seems to be along the windshield or underneath the airbag. Its from that corner but its hard to pinpoint the exact location. Its back to rattling now. I'll see if I can mend it myself. Hate bringing my car to a dealer.

Do you have a sunroof? In mine without a sunroof, the problem is not a minor annoyance. There is a significant temperature difference between the head level and the foot level. It would not be acceptable in a $10,000 used car. It is beyond unacceptable.
Yes, sunroof on mine. Head/foot temperature difference seems ok on mine, its simply the cabin continuously heating even when at 15.5 degrees celsius. Playing around with the temperature controls solves the issue. Maybe my issue isn't as severe as others, or maybe its not technically a problem at all on my car.

This is not normal. Mazda is aware of the issue. They had released a tsb on it a while back
Do you happen to have the TSB number?

So they have released a PCM update for the cylinder deactivation?

Just an FYI though. When the PCM is updated or power is lost, the deactivation system won't turn on for almost 100 to 150 km
That I didn't know, thanks for letting me know. Driving it today, I have noticed the cylinder deactivation has started working again. Its much quicker to go on all 4, engine barely lugs or struggles and very little vibration compared to before. It's not 100% but its not obtrusive.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Mine seems to be along the windshield or underneath the airbag. Its from that corner but its hard to pinpoint the exact location. Its back to rattling now. I'll see if I can mend it myself. Hate bringing my car to a dealer.

Yes, sunroof on mine. Head/foot temperature difference seems ok on mine, its simply the cabin continuously heating even when at 15.5 degrees celsius. Playing around with the temperature controls solves the issue. Maybe my issue isn't as severe as others, or maybe its not technically a problem at all on my car.

That I didn't know, thanks for letting me know. Driving it today, I have noticed the cylinder deactivation has started working again. Its much quicker to go on all 4, engine barely lugs or struggles and very little vibration compared to before. It's not 100% but its not obtrusive.

So is there a specific new update for the cylinder deactivation system?

·
Registered
37 Posts
having a sunroof shouldnt change anything since the HVAC system should be referencing cabin air temp...yet it will still blow very hot air when its set to the minimum temp in the winter.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
having a sunroof shouldnt change anything since the HVAC system should be referencing cabin air temp...yet it will still blow very hot air when its set to the minimum temp in the winter.
Its just bugged software - just like most of the issues.

I have been advised that there is a "Fix" That just came out from Mazda for the issue.

We shall see if this "Fix" Works

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey guys,

Now that it is definitely winter here in Canada, I have been having some problems with the auto heat setting in my 2019. It seems to blow oven hot air no matter what - even when it is warmed up and set on the lowest setting 15.5 celcius. Anyone else experiencing this? It is to the point where I am wearing short sleeves in the car in -10 Celsius weather. Even if I turn off the auto mode and put the fan on the first speed and lowest heat setting(Not the LO setting) it still blows air that is extremely hot. I am sure this is tied to the issues with HVAC system in general. Anyone know if Mazda has come out with a propper solution for the HVAC issues?
My problem with the excessive heat has finally been solved. I was at the dealership test driving a Mazda6 with the intention to trade in the Mazda3 due to my frustration with the excessive heat problem. I had them look at it one more time. (the first two attempts, I was told the system was operating normally). This time they found a TSB addressing the problem.

TSB 07-006/19 AUTO A/C BLOWS WARM AIR (Issued 11/18/2019, 10/10/2019 and 9/11/2019)

Description: Some customers may experience that after starting the engine, tha A?C blows warm air for about 10 minutes and then blows cold air as desired.

The TSB applies to 2019 Mazda3's manufactured in both Japan and Mexico before June 19, 2019.

While I can argue about the problem going away after 10 minutes, after a few days and a few drives, it appears to be much better. Today, I drove the Mazda on a 20 mile drive and had absolutely nothing to complain about. I may like the 2019 Mazda after all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my car is a piece of junk
Long time lurker, I’ve been wanting to get into a Gen4 but it seems there are a lot of issues.

If you could go back, would you buy or not buy this car?

I currently own a MY18 Sedan Gt/premium but was wanting an auto and something quieter. Seems like the Gen4 is a gamble?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Long time lurker, I’ve been wanting to get into a Gen4 but it seems there are a lot of issues.

I currently own a MY18 Sedan Gt/premium but was wanting an auto and something quieter. Seems like the Gen4 is a gamble?
I have had my primary issue fixed (Climate control pumping out so much heat that my head sweets while my feet are cold. Someone in Northern Canada said it is even too hot for them to drive without a window open!). As a result, I no longer curse my 2019 Mazda3 every morning!

I think the problems have mostly been addressed and it is an OK car. The 3rd generation was, in my opinion, a great car. If I had it to do over, I would have bought a 2018 before the 2019s came out to replace my 2015 that my son took over. While it did not have AWD, it did have great driving dynamics and a infotainment system that I was much happier with.

The 2019/2020 is a quieter car and looks much richer. These are aspects that I do not value over the driving dynamics of the 3rd generation.

I would recommend the 4th generation to someone that is new to Mazda, however, for me, the 3rd generation would be better.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you could go back, would you buy or not buy this car? .... Seems like the Gen4 is a gamble?
If my last car hadn't needed a repair that I wasn't willing to make, I would have waited and gotten a 2020 M3. Most of the griping you read here is due to teething pains from a completely new model. They've mostly been worked out, and have been implemented in the 2020 MY M3. Just don't get an early build 2019 M3, whatever you do.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

Honestly this is a hard question to answer. I have times where I love driving it and times where I can't stand it.

With the amount of driving I do daily I'm going to say that I wouldn't have bought one if I could go back, just too frustrating. If anything would have waited for a 2020.

It is a quite nice looking car though and hopefully things will be sorted shortly

·
Registered
219 Posts
Honestly this is a hard question to answer. I have times where I love driving it and times where I can't stand it.

With the amount of driving I do daily I'm going to say that I wouldn't have bought one if I could go back, just too frustrating. If anything would have waited for a 2020.

It is a quite nice looking car though and hopefully things will be sorted shortly

If my last car hadn't needed a repair that I wasn't willing to make, I would have waited and gotten a 2020 M3. Most of the griping you read here is due to teething pains from a completely new model. They've mostly been worked out, and have been implemented in the 2020 MY M3. Just don't get an early build 2019 M3, whatever you do.
Just out of curiosity for the two of you: BilboBaggins stated that there were times when he can't stand the 4th generation Mazda3. Did you have a 3rd generation (or prior), and if so, did you have the same thoughts with that car.

I can honestly say that I never had a negative impression of my old Mazda3. Up to the end, I occasionally said to myself on a back country road that it was the perfect car. I think my frustration is that the 3rd generation was so good making the flaws in the 4th generation stand out so much.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just out of curiosity for the two of you: BilboBaggins stated that there were times when he can't stand the 4th generation Mazda3. Did you have a 3rd generation (or prior), and if so, did you have the same thoughts with that car.

I can honestly say that I never had a negative impression of my old Mazda3. Up to the end, I occasionally said to myself on a back country road that it was the perfect car. I think my frustration is that the 3rd generation was so good making the flaws in the 4th generation stand out so much.
I had an 1987 Mazda 323 that I loved (for 13 years), but that's like generation -2 (before the Protege). It was also the most reliable car I've ever owned. My last car was a 2004 Jaguar X-Type, with the a 227hp V-6 and AWD. While reliability was an issue early on, it was a hoot to drive and a great looking car. The Jag needed a $2000 repair and I wasn't willing to spend that on a car worth about $2000. So I bought the 2019 assuming (hoping?) that this M3 was as good as my 323. From my recollection of the 323, the M3 isn't. It's not a bad car, but it doesn't handle like my Jag, nor does it have the hp (though the M3 is 400 lbs lighter than the Jag was).

What I had really wanted to buy was a 2.2L AWD Genesis G70, but that was $20,000 more upfront and $1000 more per year for insurance (and likes premium gas...at $0.90 more per gallon than regular). I just couldn't justify the additional costs for the measly 4000 miles a year I drive. So I have the M3. But I am thinking that when the factory warranty runs out on my M3, I'm going to get a lightly used G70.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #78

Yea my parents had a 2014 mazda 3 fully loaded that I had alot of experience driving and loved it. No problems. It was like a treat to take it on a road trip. In fact I have experience with all generations dating back to a 1990 miata. This is the reason I never thought twice

Apparently that year has problems due to redesign, but they experienced none of them.

If the 4th Gen had non of the issues I think it would be a better car

·
Registered
119 Posts
wish there was a way to see what parts were updated on the 2020 vs 2019

·
Registered
143 Posts

FWIW: yes, despite all the frustrations voiced on here -- by self included -- I think probably I would still have gone for the Gen 4 car.

We're now on our fifth 'Protege 5/3' hatch in a row (every four years) since '03. Last was a Gen. 3 '15 GT/Premium. That car was flawless, and I think we would have bought it off lease (only 67000kms) last spring but we -- especially Mrs. B -- wanted the Blind Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Traffic Alert, which we didn't have.

In retrospect, we might have gone for an '18 hatch GT/Premium, but by April/May these were in short supply in Canada, and (to be honest) the available colours were awful.

What sold us on the '19 (same trim as always) as much or more than the 'features' was the feel and quiet of the interior. It's also a very attractive car, to my mind. We cross-shopped with Audi A3, but saw no compelling reason to pay the premium in both price and service costs, so stayed loyal to Mazda.

I remain convinced that the issues will get sorted; assuming they are, no regrets at all about this car, even given all the teething problems.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts