2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
While I have the problem every day, last night was particularly frustrating since I had friends in the car and my 3 month old Mazda was no better than a $500.00 piece of junk ready for the crusher.

Who cares about their efforts to perfectly engineer the car with all the skyactiv junk if they can't even get the automatic climate system to work properly.

Question for those with the problem: Do you have a sunroof? I suspect it is worse in my car without a sunroof. The system may be configured to adjust for the heat loss associated with the glass roof.

I am done complaining - back to work to earn a paycheck to make the payments for the next 4 years and 9 months.
Yeah, it's embarrassing. It's a 'near-luxury' car but you have to roll down the windows a crack to compensate for the boiling hot air coming in b/c the ACC system can't mix air properly.

Surely this is a problem that can fixed with a software patch, right?

I do not have a sunroof in my car.

·
Registered
219 Posts
So the tally is 3 without sunroof with the climate control problem and no one yet reporting in with a sunroof and the problem...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine has the sunroof... no heat issues as described here... but issues with the system having to constantly be "reset" (turning knob all the way to "Hi", then "Lo", then desired cool temp) because one side is blowing hot air when set to cool temps. This was discussed in another thread, but I haven't yet taken the car in to see if the TSB remedies my issue.

·
Registered
222 Posts
2019 AWD Hatch with a sunroof.. 0 issues with the car.. I love it! 7months old over 30,000km

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a premium trim with a sunroof, the car puts out ample heat, maybe too much, but I have this solution where I press the 'off' button for the auto climate control and then cycle it back on as needed -- it really hasn't taxed my emotions too much to press a button every once in a while and won't be the reason I decide or don't decide to buy this car off lease (whether there are major improvements in three years, vs cost for those improvements, vs the availability of an electric hot hatch will determine that).

So the auto climate control is not flawless, I agree, however I don't really get worked up over it.

The heated seats are also scorchers in this car (compared to my Subaru Legacy), I have to regularly turn those down as well.

I did have an issue last fall of the AC not turning on (all heat) which I fixed by cycling the temp up to high then down to low. This was a dealer TSB (but my VIN is not in the range for this particular one, though definitely affected). When I bring it in for my one free oil change I will see if they will do the TSB fix for my car (simple programming).

·
Registered
219 Posts
With the help of the forum, I am happy to report that I have figured out the problem and developed a workaround solution.

I have come to believe the climate control system is calibrated for cars with sunroofs. The system provides heat at the windshield vent sufficient to counter the heat loss of the sunroof. For cars without sunroofs, and therefore, without the extra heat loss, too much heat is being pumped out these vents (regardless of which vents are indicated in the graphic). This results in a hot head and cold legs.

My solution is to put a rolled up towel (hand towel not bath or beach) on the dashboard blocking the defrost vent. The towel has to be strategically placed, less than a quarter of an inch from the windshield. This way, there is enough heat coming out of the vent keep the windshield clear but not enough to overwhelm the upper portion of the car. I now regulate the heat from 66 to 70 while I drive instead of 61 to 70 and have enough heat for my legs but not too much for my head.

The first few days, I had to remove and replace the towel as the windows steamed up. The new placement leaving the gap is critical and has been tested both below and above freezing, and in dry, rain and snow conditions.

I now have a car that cost around $25,000, that looked like a $35,000 car in the showroom but now looks like a $5,000 car with an old faded towel on the dashboard. Maybe the boss will feel sorry for me being so poor and give me a raise so I can buy a BMW like his.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
With the help of the forum, I am happy to report that I have figured out the problem and developed a workaround solution.

I have come to believe the climate control system is calibrated for cars with sunroofs. The system provides heat at the windshield vent sufficient to counter the heat loss of the sunroof. For cars without sunroofs, and therefore, without the extra heat loss, too much heat is being pumped out these vents (regardless of which vents are indicated in the graphic). This results in a hot head and cold legs.

My solution is to put a rolled up towel (hand towel not bath or beach) on the dashboard blocking the defrost vent. The towel has to be strategically placed, less than a quarter of an inch from the windshield. This way, there is enough heat coming out of the vent keep the windshield clear but not enough to overwhelm the upper portion of the car. I now regulate the heat from 66 to 70 while I drive instead of 61 to 70 and have enough heat for my legs but not too much for my head.

The first few days, I had to remove and replace the towel as the windows steamed up. The new placement leaving the gap is critical and has been tested both below and above freezing, and in dry, rain and snow conditions.

I now have a car that cost around $25,000, that looked like a $35,000 car in the showroom but now looks like a $5,000 car with an old faded towel on the dashboard. Maybe the boss will feel sorry for me being so poor and give me a raise so I can buy a BMW like his.
Still doesn't explain why my car was blowing heat in the summer when it should have been A/C

I think the system is simply bugged

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I find its more of an annoyance than anything else. I'm bringing my car in for rattles next week. I'll try to have them address the problems with cylinder deactivation as well as the heating issues.

2019 Mazda 3 GT with sunroof

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I find its more of an annoyance than anything else. I'm bringing my car in for rattles next week. I'll try to have them address the problems with cylinder deactivation as well as the heating issues.

A little off-topic, but ... perhaps you wouldn't mind reporting here on the forums if you get any solutions re. 'rattles'? As I'm sure you know, quite a few of us are experiencing them (doors; dash; etc.).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Last week I've discovered where's 1 rattle coming from! The plexiglass cover of the headup display. It's seems to that its not mounted well or something. If I drive bad roads and the rattle begins I push that plexiglass down and the rattle will stop. I also can feel the vibrations when I touch that plexiglass. Maybe it can be helfpull to others.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hey please let me know what dealer you will be taking your car too. Im from toronto and want to take it to the same dealer if possible for the cylinder deactivation vibration problem

More complaints. They might actually do something

·
Registered
137 Posts
Last week I've discovered where's 1 rattle coming from! The plexiglass cover of the headup display. It's seems to that its not mounted well or something. If I drive bad roads and the rattle begins I push that plexiglass down and the rattle will stop. I also can feel the vibrations when I touch that plexiglass. Maybe it can be helfpull to others.
Same here - this started afrew a few months of ownership. The upper dash ahead of the driver/HUD is definitely the source of the front end rattle. Dealership will deal with this in the new year.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Do you call it a solution? Come on......

The towel on the dashboard as a solution was partially sarcasm in that it was an "acceptable" solution and partially serious in that I am able to drive the car without sweating with cold feet.

I was told by Mazda Customer Support that I have to bring the car back to the dealership. They can not report the issue to the engineers unless the complaint comes through a dealership.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hey please let me know what dealer you will be taking your car too. Im from toronto and want to take it to the same dealer if possible for the cylinder deactivation vibration problem

More complaints. They might actually do something
I've noticed more and more complaints about the deactivation issue as more and more people purchase these cars. Gives me hope that mazda may attend to it

41 - 60 of 85 Posts