2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.. ive been happy with my 2010 mazdaspeed 3 so far.. but im at around 28,000 miles and ive got this humming buzzing sound coming coming from the back part of the engine near the bottom by the catalytic converter(i believe) and near the fire wall.. it just started abruptly... and it is the loudest at around 2k rpm.. but is regulated by the vibrations of the engine.. sometimes it sounds like a fan hitting a something, but there is no fan and no belts in the region.. and sometimes there is no sound at all depending on the rpm..

ive raised the car up and inspected the region and cant find anything that might be lose or stuck without burning up my hand..or taking apart the car... i do see something like a plastic cover with foil covering with an outlet that looks like an intake in there... but nothing conclusive..definitely coming from that region though..

car does not miss.. does not sound like a lifter problem as it is not coming from the top.. no lack in power from the turbo.. car seems to be functioning just fine.. just that annoying humming buzzing sound..

anybody got a mazdaspeed 3 engine schematic? any ideas would be helpful... thanks in advanced!!

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Have you checked the cabin filter?

Also, open up the black cover under your wipers, see if there's any object in the cabin air duct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it turned out to be the alternator... and apparently a bunch of others have the same problem with the alternator.. figured that out when the battery light came on and the noise escalated...

course i had to drive the car back 30 miles when i the light came on.. car started shutting down... all the lights started turning on and i lost power steering.... luckily i had a battery charger by the time i stopped the car...i tried to turn on the car again after i turned it off and it was dead dead... barely a click...

took it to the dealer.. so far it is covered under warranty...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts