2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HUD glass moving part just sticks and won't open all the way to the top.

Would only work when the car is turned off and back on.

Anyone faced this problem?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any reason why? never noticed the correlation between the brake pedal and the HUD glass...

·
Registered
3,824 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
@Rdrokit does your HUD not come up every time you start the car if you don't keep your foot on the brake while starting the car? Or does it only happens occasionally? I don't really see how the brakes can affect the HUD. Only problem with mine is when starting the car early morning or late at night when the temperature is a bit cooler, the HUD will not come up and I'll have to restart car to fix it. It's weird because I had this issue when I first bought the car back but went away for a year or and it never happened again until this year it started acting up again lol

·
Official Ricer
392 Posts
Never noticed this issue....
But then again, I don't start the car with my brake. I use the clutch :)
I can depress the clutch, push start button, and drop the clutch right away with no issues with the ADD

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
@Rdrokit does your HUD not come up every time you start the car if you don't keep your foot on the brake while starting the car? Or does it only happens occasionally? I don't really see how the brakes can affect the HUD. Only problem with mine is when starting the car early morning or late at night when the temperature is a bit cooler, the HUD will not come up and I'll have to restart car to fix it. It's weird because I had this issue when I first bought the car back but went away for a year or and it never happened again until this year it started acting up again lol
My HUD comes up everytime if I hold the brake down till the HUD goes through its start up. In my case the HUD comes up halfway goes down and then comes up all the way. If I let go of the brake before the completion of this cycle, say when the HUD comes up half way, the display will go down and stay down not completing its cycle. I do have the Japan spec engine and my car was assembled in Thailand so it could be a Thai thing or just a quirk with my car. My wife likes it because she doesn't like the HUD and wants to drive without it up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My HUD comes up everytime if I hold the brake down till the HUD goes through its start up. In my case the HUD comes up halfway goes down and then comes up all the way. If I let go of the brake before the completion of this cycle, say when the HUD comes up half way, the display will go down and stay down not completing its cycle. I do have the Japan spec engine and my car was assembled in Thailand so it could be a Thai thing or just a quirk with my car. My wife likes it because she doesn't like the HUD and wants to drive without it up.
Tried this with the brake fully pressed, and nothing. Might be an electricity issue.

The only time the HUD goes up halfway and then down and then all the way up, is when it was stuck the time before!

My Mazda is Japanese specs and assembled in Japan as well.

Weird.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Tried this with the brake fully pressed, and nothing. Might be an electricity issue.

The only time the HUD goes up halfway and then down and then all the way up, is when it was stuck the time before!

My Mazda is Japanese specs and assembled in Japan as well.

Weird.
Yep, weird but my car was assembled in Thailand not Japan. Minimum wage on the assembly line is 300 baht a day. That translates to about $12US. Could be why I have some unique characteristics with my car.:surprise:

·
Registered
74 Posts
This will happen to me about once every 2 months or so. Never made a connection to the brake pedal, I"m going to have to play with it now.

My problem is that I do not notice it until I'm halfway down the block, as I never look at it while I'm backing out of the driveway. Then, I will usually come to a stop at a stopsign or red light and restart the car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This will happen to me about once every 2 months or so. Never made a connection to the brake pedal, I"m going to have to play with it now.

My problem is that I do not notice it until I'm halfway down the block, as I never look at it while I'm backing out of the driveway. Then, I will usually come to a stop at a stopsign or red light and restart the car.
Ha! same over here. Will only notice it halfway out of the garage, and will restart car at the next red light. I've noticed that when the ignition takes too long to kick in, the HUD will only open half way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, been monitoring this weird behavior of the HUD, and can now safely assume that it is somewhat related to the push start button. At times, the button will give out a so slight grinding noise (somewhat like no grease) .. and during those times, the HUD will not open up all the way.

Another thing that i noticed, is that when that happens and on the next startup, the HUD will ever so slightly go up slowly and then back down and then up all the way. Seems like some sort of reboot mechanism.

stomped!

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Oddly, I've been trolling this website for like 2 years and I remember coming across someone's post that had the exact same issue. Seemed like it was more prevalent in the 2014s, but not sure really.

So he took it to the dealership and they "greased" the electrical connections for the ADD -- not sure what that involves, but they reported back saying the problem had been resolved by have the dealership do that. Might give that a shot

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh wow! seems that my self diagnosis is spot on!

will contact the dealer about that and let you guys know!

cheers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been having issues with this in the cooler weather. The HUD doesn't quite pop all the way up. Then after a few bumps it finally comes up. Curious if the centering issue from the TSB might help. Seemed to happen after I had it at the car wash and they wiped over the hud.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts