2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I run a 2010 MZ3 i sport which came with the 16x6.5 steel wheels. To keep it in the H stock class I am finding my wheel choices slim to none. Anyone know of any 16x6.5 alloys that keep the offset within the 0.25in (~6.3mm) requirement of SCCA stock class (section 13.4)? And is the steel a +50mm offset or a +52.5mm offset? i've seen both answers online, but the sticky in the wheels section says 50mm

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Hey so I run a 2010 MZ3 i sport which came with the 16x6.5 steel wheels. To keep it in the H stock class I am finding my wheel choices slim to none. Anyone know of any 16x6.5 alloys that keep the offset within the 0.25in (~6.3mm) requirement of SCCA stock class (section 13.4)? And is the steel a +50mm offset or a +52.5mm offset? i've seen both answers online, but the sticky in the wheels section says 50mm
You probably won't find a rim that size unless you look at other OEM wheels form other brands. The best upgrade to stay in HS is to get some r-comps. That will literally take seconds off your time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its sure looking that way. the only wheels that seem usable are cast alloys from other mazdas and they're not going to be worth the money. probably going to run the steels for events with suitable tires then buy some nice rims for street.

as for r-comps... honestly im not ready for that level of tire yet, looking to keep cost down and improve from the stock bridgestones that are getting eaten up with the hard driving. any suggestions for street performance tires? the suggestions i've gotten so far are in the extreme summer category: the brigestone re-11s and dunlop direzza z1 star spec. anyone experiment with ultra max performance category?

·
Registered
346 Posts
looks like the killer for you is 6.5" width... I can find boat loads of stuff in a 16x7... but that doesn't really help you. You might try calling Wheel Dude and seeing if they can get you something... a lightweight set of Rota slipstreams or something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Decided to keep the stock wheels and go for the old school look of steelies. Regardless it was a very competitive car in my region.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Rota makes wheels in 16x6.5. I picked up some Rota Boost wheels and I'll be running them next season in HS. They weigh in a little under 15lbs. Problem is the factory 16x6.5 has an offset of 52.5mm and the Rotas have an offset of 46mm making them just ever so slightly out of legal offset range. I had that fixed by machining down the mounting pads just a tad. An easier solution is to just run the stock wheels for AX and run a set of 16x7 or 17x7 aftermarket wheels for daily driving.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Wheels are now done and have a custom offset that is in stock legal range. They took the material off with a high tech milling machine rather than the lathe pictured above. We couldn't get the wheels properly secured to the lathe without damaging the wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats some dedication to the rules... but can't argue with 15lbs a wheel. i got a set of Enkei ammodos 17x7 at about the same time i got my dunlop direzza star specs. only 2 months until the season starts again here!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts