2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought me a used 2016 s-GT auto trans on Wednesday, and we're still bonding. I like the way the car handles and responds: it's a real driver's car! Fun fun fun.

The bad news is I'm an Uber/Lyft driver, mostly in San Francisco and Oakland, and boy o boy does it get shitty mileage. My first tank had 130 miles of highway and averaged 24; so far this tank says 18!!! I'm using hypermiling techniques (my last car was a Ford C-Max) but any thoughts on how to improve fuel economy?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I feel like my 2.0L engine gets dismal mileage on anything other than straight line with constant speed, so I can only imagine how bad the 2.5L would be on hills and start stop driving scenarios.

I try to maximize fuel economy whenever I drive, which involves pretty much smooth acceleration from stop with progressive buildup of speed. This means you'll get cut off by pretty much everyone who is trying to race from one light to the next.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome! To save fuel, make sure your tyre pressures are not low, check your air filter is clean.

There's also an argument that higher RON fuel can get you better economy but I could be talking out of my ar$e. ;) I'm not sure what fuel options you have over there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts