2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on wiring stock fog lights (with DDM HID slims, 35w, 4500) as daytime running lights?

Thanks......great forum.....Merry Christmas

David 330

·
Registered
201 Posts
This isn't a good idea. If you're wanting DRLs, get real ones - don't convert your fogs to them. Fogs are not meant to be on for such lengthy periods of time, they won't last anywhere near as long as your headlights. If you wire your fogs to run like DRLs, you'll burn them out in a few months.

The reason why real DRLs work is because they don't burn nearly as bright - just enough to be seen in the daytime, not enough to illuminate any paths. When they're allowed to function as they were made to, that's when they'll last the longest and be most effective.

This wiring is obviously possible to do, just be prepared to fork up a good bit of cash every few months.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
This isn't a good idea. If you're wanting DRLs, get real ones - don't convert your fogs to them. Fogs are not meant to be on for such lengthy periods of time, they won't last anywhere near as long as your headlights. If you wire your fogs to run like DRLs, you'll burn them out in a few months.

The reason why real DRLs work is because they don't burn nearly as bright - just enough to be seen in the daytime, not enough to illuminate any paths. When they're allowed to function as they were made to, that's when they'll last the longest and be most effective.

This wiring is obviously possible to do, just be prepared to fork up a good bit of cash every few months.
CorkSports LED fogs solves this burning out problem :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
try this

------------------------------------------------------------------------------excerpt from my other post--------------------------------------------------------
not to bring back a zombie, but i was looking at doing this...and i think i found an easy solution.

i have a 2011, and based on the wiring diagrams that a user brought us, this is a REALLY EASY MOD.

looking at this image, it looks like the BCM just sinks the relay for the fog. The SINK (green) is only enabled or open when the fog switch is enabled. but the relay still needs is SOURCE (orange). That source, is just the low beam or night lights!

Viola!

Step 1: find fog relay
Step 2: take the +12 orange from diagram (O(F) C-05), and connect it to BAT +12 (disconnected O(F) C-05 wire and reconnect into grey wire going to relay GY(F) GY)
Step 3: Done! Enjoy!

The only reason why this would Not work is if for some ODD reason, the BCM only sinks when both the fog and the low beams are on. And that does not really make sense from an engineering perspective. why have a switched source and a switched ground?

So if you ask me, this will work.

a final disclaimer, make sure you disconnect O(F) from the relay and not just splice +12 into it. If you just splice into it and leave it connected as by default, your night lighting will stay permanently on! 24/7. that would be funny. i will make a howto in a few weeks. by this looks of it, its a half hour job at max.

Borna.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Welcome to the forum mystix but to make it easier for you than it already is open up your hood and look for plug near your headlights should have a black plug with multiple colors

Look for #3 (Thank you Anto for the pic)
Take the orange wire and the grey wire and splice them together so this is what he means

Hence the red box

·
Registered
58 Posts
This all looks good on paper, but I can say that today I attempted to do this and failed. I cut the orange wire and used a splicer connector to hook it into the grey wire and all I got were my parking lights constantly on and fogs not to work. This was using the O(F) side of the wire. Since this didn't work, I went ahead and tried to use the end of the orange wire going into the relay spliced into the grey wire and this did nothing but cause my fogs to act normally. Am I missing something? Accessing the relay was simple, as was accessing the wires. Just annoyed that as simple as it seems, it didn't work.

What I am thinking is that the orange and green wires going into the BCM also need to be jumped as in another thread on the forum. The BCM is what controls the interaction of the fog lights with the headlights. By bypassing the BCM, it allows the fogs to come on with the parking lights. Then by making the connection above, it then bypasses the parking light switch. The only issue I see with this scenario is the same as hooking the O(F) wire to the GY wire - lights on all the time, but you can turn them off by the turn signal stalk switch since this is still inline.

So what it seems needs to happen is that the orange wire from the relay needs to be connected to a ignition only hot, and the orange and green wires from the BCM need to be jumped to bypass the headlight control. I will do the BCM bypass for now to have them come on with my parking lights and will work on finding a local 12V switched wire to the orange relay wire for the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts