2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just sharing a video I made for those that really are interested in knowing their 3's engine temp but don't want to go through the trouble of modding and adding gauges.

I'll link the video below.

I use a OBDII scanner ELM327 which is only $20 off Amazon, I connect it to my iPod touch and use any OBD scanner app, I prefer OBD Fusion, the interface and the iPod connect to each other directly no router required.

OBD Fusion is only $9 and lets you see any stored CEL codes then will define them for you and also clear them. You can customize your readouts/gauges to be digital or analog, it includes a boost gauge, the wifi range is pretty good and allows you to work under the hood and have your device right in front of you. Other OBD apps also offer 0-60 timers that are pretty accurate.

The scanner will work with virtually on any car that has obdii diagnostics, i've used it on gmc's, honda's and jeeps.

You can keep the scanner connected to the car, it goes to sleep when the igintion is off, it doesn't drain the battery.

Hope you all find this information useful.

It seems like embedding is blocked so heres the link

OBDII Virtual Temperature Gauge - YouTube

cheers

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Also you can use the torque app as well.

I use a elm 327 as you said. Been using it for 3 years with no problems. Definitely would recommend it.

Monitoring the engine parameters isn't really necessary unless you have a modded speed 3 but I still like doing it just because I like knowing more info on the car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Monitoring the engine parameters isn't really necessary unless you have a modded speed 3 but I still like doing it just because I like knowing more info on the car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
For some owners I could see that. I find it necessary especially for the -5 to 9 degree cold starts during the winter seasons and 104 degree summers.

I've been in situations in previous cars where the thermostat would fail causing the engine to run cold and lean as well as overheat overtime.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That is awesome! I didn't know such a thing existed... I'm going to get one soon. Will it come with software to use on my laptop? or is it strictly for use with the smartphone app?

Also, is it able to be connected via usb cable, or just bluetooth?

Nice info, thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is awesome! I didn't know such a thing existed... I'm going to get one soon. Will it come with software to use on my laptop? or is it strictly for use with the smartphone app?

Also, is it able to be connected via usb cable, or just bluetooth?

Nice info, thanks!
It does come with a disk to install on your pc for diagnostics. For smartphones there are plenty of apps in the app store that will communicate with the scanner. It all connects via WiFi, similar to a hotspot but no router needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts