2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was testing it on the freeway in manual mode and it downshifted all the way from 6th to 3rd and it was one of the scariest things. How do you use the kickdown switch correctly?

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
like a regular manual without a clutch if you floor it hard it will down shift on you though it should prevent from going to redline but it may not all the time

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was testing it on the freeway in manual mode and it downshifted all the way from 6th to 3rd and it was one of the scariest things. How do you use the kickdown switch correctly?
I did the same thing. Never use the kickdown switch in manual. Its really only for regular D shifting.

Keep it in "D" and floor it, then switch over to Manual mode after it shifts.
X2. The kickdown switch will always drop down a gear, even if its bad to do. :frown2:

·
Registered
327 Posts
It's for Max Power. Fuel efficiency goes out the window cause you need to get moving as fast as possible. Stomp and hold until power is no longer needed.

It will downshift to get you in the max power band (higher revs to get you moving) and continue to upshift at or near redline until you get off the switch.

It will not damage the car. Harder on it, arguably, but it won't let you overrev and cause damage (in the auto). Even in manual mode it won't let you downshift if you're going to overrev it. And if you run the revs too high in manual you'll ping off the rev limiter.

·
Too Many Projects!
368 Posts
Just be careful, a buddy of mine used the kickdown switch while he was in manual mode and he went from 6th to 3rd in it hard. Like something up front slammed him into gear. Car seemed okay afterwards but still sketchy.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
yes the mazda manual shift mode is more sporty and takes more skill to use, its best to know how to drive manual before using it as knowing manual lets you know what is and is not bad and how and where to shift. the manual states it "gives the experience of driving a manual sports car" an extent it does.

·
Registered
720 Posts
There is a rev limiter. Mazda protects itself from stupid.
Thank goodness.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts