2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I got a speed3 cbe from craigslist. Put the axle back portion on, then wanted to see how it would sound with the midpipe on as well. To use the midpipe requires som fab.

I had a long drawn out thread on another forum, hopefully this one is a bit more organized.

Taking the stock midpipe off removes the 2nd cat, but theres no O2 sensor, so no CEL when finished. With the speed3 midpipe hung, there is about a 13.5 inch gap that needs to be taken up. I opted for some 2.25 pipe and flanges/gaskets from a muffler shop. 25 cash to fab up a "racepipe".

The speed3 flange on the front of the midpipe (upstream) is an odd size, pretty big. Standard flange wouldnt work. Had to cut a custom flange from 1/4" flat steel stock to use on the racepipe. Just welded it to smaller flange and trimmed. Lil sloppy, but who sees it after install right? Found a gasket big enough for this flange at autozone, part # in pic. The other side used a standard flat flange with 2.25 diameter.

Welded flanges on, bolted to midpipe and hung it to the rest of the system. Sounds pretty nice now. So it can be done, using a full speed3 cbe, just gotta fab a pipe. This will let u revert to stock exhaust if u need it.

Ran into one problem...forgot to check angle on back flange, had to reweld. Pics show flanges welded before the fix.

So 13.5 inch pipe, 2.25 diameter, 2.25 flange and matching gasket, custom flange and matching gasket, weld and mount. Used some grade 8, 3/8" bolts and hardware for mounting to flex pipe, midpipe has welded bolts already.

***If anyone has a part number for the flange that mates to the speed3 midpipe up front, please let us know. The gasket is for a 6.0 gm catalytic converter lol, but it works.

Pics:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a problem, always happy to help! If anyone has any questions, feel free to hit me up.

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought of doing that, but decided I wanted to keep the resonator so as not to be TOO loud. It would definitely be easier to cut the midpipe and use a normal flange that u can find at a parts store. My main goal was to keep everything stock, mine and the speed3 exhaust, just in case I want to get rid of it. I wasnt sure if I would like it either, but its growing on me. :)

If I go back to stock exhaust, I can sell the speed3 stuff as oem, unmolested parts. Now I kinda wanna make more pipes here at work, during down time. Maybe someone would want one, and I enjoy some fabrication!

Reactions: MarinMazda3

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is an older thread but I just bought a catback speed exhaust too and have some questions. Was there much difference with just the axle back part on? and how much of a difference was there when you did the rest of it? And by difference I mean sound and performance. I understand this isn't going to make a huge difference in performance but was there a noticeable amount? Just curious.

I am debating either doing it your way or just cutting mine behind the cat and welding on the speed piece. I have deleted cats before and it always made a rasp in the exhaust I didn't care for.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Installation wise it should be a bolt on. Its easier to install it than taking off your oem. The bracket close to the connecting downpipe will hit you fuel heat shield if you dont angle it right off.

Once you got the 3 muffler brackets off you have to pull it right then left. Also you gotts take off your rear driver side tire

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the ms3 axle back portion on my mz3 and it sounds amazing. Its the best exhaust ive found. I hate exhaust that our to loud this one is perfect. If you can find one pick it up!!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I picked up a MS3 catback exhaust last night...I can't wait to put it on and see how it sounds!!!

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@punkk77

so this give the exhaust a deeper growl and more tq?
No idea about torque, never did dyno or anything. I was going for sound. The abe only added more tone. With the midpipe and racepipe added, it got a little raspy, but I thought it was a good sound for custom work. My favorite was the gurgle on downshifts.

Heres a vid from my youtube channel. Theres one on there with the full setup as well, just crap quality sound thanks to birds and cell phone.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=JipEqo_AQTI

·
Registered
88 Posts
No idea about torque, never did dyno or anything. I was going for sound. The abe only added more tone. With the midpipe and racepipe added, it got a little raspy, but I thought it was a good sound for custom work. My favorite was the gurgle on downshifts.

Heres a vid from my youtube channel. Theres one on there with the full setup as well, just crap quality sound thanks to birds and cell phone.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=JipEqo_AQTI

Cool, so just have to fab up a test pipe and it will bolt up?

Now just have to ninja one cheap locally.

·
Your friendly SpeedPunk
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts