2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I recently decided to upgrade my stock car audio system in my mazda. I started with replacing the head unit with single din Alpine cda 117. Buttons on steering wheel works fine with axxess adapter, but one thing is bothering me. How can I turn off the red information screen? I know that with new alpine it will not work and only show straight line across the screen. Is there a fuse or something that will shut it down? Or maby there is a way to use it somehow ?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Really nobody knows? Do I have to take off the whole dashboard to find the connector or there is a different way???

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
You have to get a headunit to interface with it. the PAC wire harness might allow some programming of it but as far as I know you have to have a headunit that can talk to that screen. the enon one is the only one I know of that will, if you remove the fuse that I would think controls that screen (radio) then your radio would not function. that little red led screen is either fused with the radio circuit or the a/c circuit as the radio display is on there on all of them, but on auto climate control models such as mine the a/c temp and info is displayed on the lower section as well. it wont be super nice looking but duct tape will cover it, or you could get some glue and a small piece of felt or soft fabric and cut it to the shape and size of the screen and glue it over the top of it, if it bothers you that much. when you took the factory unit out could you not reach up in the hole and find the plug for the screen, Im sure its accessible through that opening. or there maybe a wire you can snip off the factory side of the harness that makes the screen turn on/display when the car turns on, I would not know which one, but a car audio shop might. you may see if you can find the install guide for the stereo on your specific trim and see which wire sends info to that screen, as it obviously has to communicate with the factory headunit somehow, and that means a wire running to the harness. cut that wire(s) and leave them secured and taped out of the way where they cant get power/info the screen should not turn on, as it will never get the "on" signal. if you look at your headunit wiring and the factory plug there is an adapter that you should have bought (so you did not have to snip the factory harnesses off) compare the pin configurations on the harnesses, there is more than likely 1 or more non used pins on the factory side to the aftermarket stereo adapter, one or more of them will be your info screen power/signal wire(s) follow them back and see where the run to, one or more will make the curve towards that screen those will be the wires to break the connection for at the harness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your respond. I was thinking about trying to reach the screen plug through the head unit hole. If that won't work I will follow your advice and try to mess around with factory harness.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
also, mine has the little gps/info screen on the left of the radio near the steering wheel as well as the red led radio and a/c control screen and the dash pops up away from that area fairly easy, and the screens are just behind a plastic plate that attaches to the dash, it should not be too hard to pop the dash up enough to move the plastic cover for the screen/s and get behind that screen to unplug it. hell there is even a thread on this forum about how many users on here have an issue with the clips not holding the dash down all the way around that screen area, and mine too has that issue, if you pull the dash up from there you may not be able to get the clips to hold it down right again, so that maybe a great how to for a fix on that, mine I don't see so it doesn't bother me but I noticed it after reading that thread and looking at it very close, the clear plastic cover for the screens is sharp on the edges and cut me while inspecting/trying to put the rubbery and plastic pieces back together so be careful, wear gloves

1 - 5 of 5 Posts