2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Not necessarily the case anymore. Woofers these days are way more efficient than the were in the 90's and are made to run in smaller enclosures. Usually somewhere around 1cf is the magic number. Also if you want to cut down on box resonance you can either build it stronger and more rigid or use sound damping material like Roadkill or Dynamat to add mass.
The materials and construction of subwoofers has gone vastly unchanged for about 10 years. 1 cube is good for some subs not for other there are wayyy to many factors to keep in mind. There is no "magic" number one size fits all some subs like kicker CVRs like small boxes due to a lot of factors suspension and cone material/weight plays a big part in this but say a JL W7 even an 8 would like almost two cubes for a flat response. I may not know much but one thing I do know is Car audio being a former installer and World champion competitor in MECA. :)

I know car audio as well. Being an installer for the last 21 years, working for a car audio manufacturer, being MECP master certified as well as a contributing author to the tests and books, ASE A6 certified and a MERA knowledgefest instructor for the past 3 years, you could say I'm a bit well versed in that area.

The majority of mass marketed woofers these days will do just fine in a 1cf box. When you start talking competitiin grade woofers though, that number may change a bit. I said woofers were more efficient now than in the 90's when poly fill was a big thing. 10 years ago was 2004. :)

This looks amazing and what i'd be looking for. I know this is an old thread, but OP (if s/he is still around), about how heavy is the mold & sub and where are you placing the amp? Are you using the stock amplifier beneath the passenger seat?

A woofer should be moving air to create a thump effect. The speaker movement causes air compression within a comoartment. Having something block the speaker would limit it's capability. Unless air leaks around the floor into the trunk space. A hatchback would get a better effect and having a sub that would be directly exposed to the cabin"air will move the air freely and make some thumping bass. Did yiu insulate behind the speaker within the fiberglass enclosure?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.