2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning out the cars today. I have some pretty bad salt buildup on the drivers side floor. Only thing I can find online is spray it with half vinegar and warm water. That does nothing. I even tried taking a brass wire brush to it, still won't come off. Any suggestions? Would have to be household items unfortunately.

·
Registered
22 Posts
All you can do is vacuum it; wet (multiple applications of water) and/or dry. And then get some WeatherTech (or equivalent) floor mats.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All you can do is vacuum it; wet (multiple applications of water) and/or dry. And then get some WeatherTech (or equivalent) floor mats.
Well guess I'm screwed. I do have those mats, just the dealer ones. The salt seems to get around behind them. They certainly help, but not solve it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steamer is a great idea. I just so happen to have one in my basement. I'm all done for the day, but I might have to give that a shot at some point. Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
What other tools do you have? Shopvac?

If you have at least a shop vac, you can repeat the hot water + vinegar and let it dwell to break it down, agitate it with whatever brushes you have, and shopvac to lift the crap OUT of the fibers instead of mushing it further into the fabric.

Science explained far better than I can (skip the first minute)

I also use Folex fabric cleaner from Canadian Tire/Walmart. If it was on the removable mats, I'd suggest powerwashing them and then shopvac-ing them.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a shop vac and a lot of other stuff. I'm actually very well equipped. I tried using the shop vac, hot water and vinegar with it, etc. It's just going nowhere. I won't have time for the steam cleaner for a little while...or anything else for that matter. But please keep the suggestions rolling in.

Also I can't use a shampoo cleaner. I have severe allergies and the wife is even worse. The scents and chemicals in the shampoos are a no go for us.

·
Registered
116 Posts
All purpose cleaner and a drill brush. An extractor is nice if you have it, otherwise you will have to use towels. If the stain is really bad it may not come out 100% but this method works fairly well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a shop vac and a lot of other stuff. I'm actually very well equipped. I tried using the shop vac, hot water and vinegar with it, etc. It's just going nowhere. I won't have time for the steam cleaner for a little while...or anything else for that matter. But please keep the suggestions rolling in.

Also I can't use a shampoo cleaner. I have severe allergies and the wife is even worse. The scents and chemicals in the shampoos are a no go for us.
SO the gas station shampoo/extractor aka vomit rectifier will not work.
Would following up with vinegar/water 50/50 be sufficient in neutralizing the scents/chemicals from shampoos?
Another trick to increase dwell time before the vinegar solution dries up/evaporates: spray the area normally, then a sheet of papertowel as well, and "stick" the papertowel onto the affected area to increase dwell/working time.

411 on Folex:
  • Water based - uses water to wash the stain away, for safety, and virtually residue free cleaning
  • Surfactant - an emulsifying agent that reduces surface tension, so it breaks up the stain, and surrounds it, so that it can be removed by blotting with a dry cloth or paper towel
  • Effective on these and many more spots and stains: auto oil, grease, coffee, dirt, crayon, soot, fruit juice, grass, makeup, ink, pet accidents, rust...
  • Safe for any material that is both colourfast and colour stable, including hard surfaces, that can be safely dampened with water, such as: upholstery, clothing, draperies, car interiors, walls, woodwork, and more
  • Non-toxic, non-flammable, and odour-free

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SO the gas station shampoo/extractor aka vomit rectifier will not work.
Would following up with vinegar/water 50/50 be sufficient in neutralizing the scents/chemicals from shampoos?
Another trick to increase dwell time before the vinegar solution dries up/evaporates: spray the area normally, then a sheet of papertowel as well, and "stick" the papertowel onto the affected area to increase dwell/working time.

411 on Folex:
  • Water based - uses water to wash the stain away, for safety, and virtually residue free cleaning
  • Surfactant - an emulsifying agent that reduces surface tension, so it breaks up the stain, and surrounds it, so that it can be removed by blotting with a dry cloth or paper towel
  • Effective on these and many more spots and stains: auto oil, grease, coffee, dirt, crayon, soot, fruit juice, grass, makeup, ink, pet accidents, rust...
  • Safe for any material that is both colourfast and colour stable, including hard surfaces, that can be safely dampened with water, such as: upholstery, clothing, draperies, car interiors, walls, woodwork, and more
  • Non-toxic, non-flammable, and odour-free
Unfortunately no I cannot use this item. Allergies are not confined only to scents. Neutralizing the scent is all well and good, but the chemicals that could trigger an allergic reaction still remain and can be very difficult to remove. If it were just me, I still probably wouldn't use it. Being water based is nice but there is obviously other things in it.

I think it'll be water and vinegar for me. The steam cleaner too. I think it'll just take a while.

Don't get me wrong here, I very much appreciate the suggestions. There's no way anyone else should know about our health.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Unfortunately no I cannot use this item. Allergies are not confined only to scents. Neutralizing the scent is all well and good, but the chemicals that could trigger an allergic reaction still remain and can be very difficult to remove. If it were just me, I still probably wouldn't use it. Being water based is nice but there is obviously other things in it.

I think it'll be water and vinegar for me. The steam cleaner too. I think it'll just take a while.

Don't get me wrong here, I very much appreciate the suggestions. There's no way anyone else should know about our health.
One additional recommendation (since I also live in Ontario) is to put off working on the stain until it is a bit warmer and you can adequately dry out the carpet and underlying layers and avoid growth of the nasty stuff. The non-chemical route will work but may end up taking countless rounds of marginal improvement.

Be patient!

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
203 Posts
My steps ... 1. scrape off as much as you can with a screw driver (star shape /phillips) and vacumm
2. repeat
3. vinegar solution as mentioned above (there are some salt remover/diluter with no scent)
4. agitate and wet vacuum off ( using steam (too hot) you may delaminate or melt carpet backing)
5. dont go crazy in steps 1 & 3/4 ..leave ut alone let it dry.
6. go back once dry with screw driver or non abrasive scraper and repeat step 1 and then wet solution/vacuum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts