2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
older&wiser
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought Koni FSD's, and I started to try and install the rears. OI removed the 2 top nuts and the nut and the washer that was on the bottom. Problem is our models have the bottom mounted on a stud and I tried for hours and could not get the old shock off the shaft. Has anyone actually done this? I did a search and there are no videos I have found for the 3rd gen cars. I have changed rear shocks on several cars before and never had this issue. Is there something different that has to be done to remove the old shock?

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you got the bottom nut & screw removed already, you can try tapping the screw out with a mallet or hammer. IIRC, you then just have to wiggle it off the bracket. If the strut refuses to budge, you may need to raise the hub a little using a separate jack stand. This may align the strut enough to get it out.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
Just for reference, soak it with penetrating oil a bit first, a bit of heat might be needed too if its is rusted a lot. Be sure to clean the hex stud off good and slide the socket all the way on to avoid stripping it. Make sure to use never seize on reassembly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts