2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found info for 2011 which is easy. It's not working in 2012. I think the cup holder is tucked under other parts? Do you know of instructions anywhere?

I lost my ID. I put it in the cup holder while driving to a medical appt. Got out of the appt and it's mysteriously disappeared. Dug up everything in the car. No where to be seen. Finally, finally, i spotted it with a flashlight slipped down deep next to the emergency brake handle.

...so... it's not really within reach, even if I slip a stick down there with glue on it.

Any help with how to get this open? Youtube searches aren't showing any yet.

Thank you...!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just pull up on that whole entire assembly and trim piece around the e-brake/cupholder and it will come out. The first time I removed mine it was a bit difficult to pop out but it gets easier. I would start towards the back by the armrest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just pull up on that whole entire assembly and trim piece around the e-brake/cupholder and it will come out. The first time I removed mine it was a bit difficult to pop out but it gets easier. I would start towards the back by the armrest.
Do you have a 2012 M3 automatic?

There's nothing by the armrest to grab onto. It's flush at the base of the arm rest. It's not part of the armrest. It's definitely not the same as the 2011 videos I've watched.

It looks like that cup piece is nestled under the piece around the shift. I'll try again with a lever to stick under. But I was pulling hard and it wasn't budging.

This car's odd though. Just bought it and the CD player doesn't work, so tried to remove it. The parts pulled out with some force, but I can not get two of the wire harnesses out. My dad who's good at mechanical things couldn't either. We're pushing the obvious tab but the secret open sesame isn't working... Maybe we missed a 2nd tab?

What are you grabbing? I can get a finger hold by the emergency brake. And onto the lid for the cup holder. That seems risky since I'm likely to rip the lid off.

Also there's these two rubber plugs, tiny, that I pulled out. What are they for?

So definitely you've got a 2012? That'd be great to know!

·
Registered
85 Posts
With the cup holder cover open I grabbed in there and also in the ebrake opening. It feels fragile but it's not. There are just some tabs holding the entire trim piece and assembly in

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the cup holder cover open I grabbed in there and also in the ebrake opening. It feels fragile but it's not. There are just some tabs holding the entire trim piece and assembly in
The tabs must be under the trim piece in front of it (with the shift handle). When I try to lift the cup holder, that trim piece is definitely getting lifted. At the dealership, the service guy had never had to open one but thought it required taking the other trim pieces off in order. Since he hasn't done it, I'll keep that as a guess! I have a 2012 GTi M3 hatchback with Engine 8. Which car do you have?

Thanks again for all your help! The community gave me a temp id, so I have more time to figure this out. So I'll try again.

Meanwhile I have the CD player detached in my house, so I'm going to work on that first. Got down to the CD player, but not to lens. Off to find a diagram of how to open this CD up... Looks like I have to take springs off and all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 2012 i Touring Skyactiv with the Automatic. I don't think the trim pieces are any different across the trims or engine/transmission combinations. If I recall correctly, there are tabs almost around the entire trim piece. There's no need to remove any other trim pieces in order to get this one out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it out!

I have a 2012 i Touring Skyactiv with the Automatic. I don't think the trim pieces are any different across the trims or engine/transmission combinations. If I recall correctly, there are tabs almost around the entire trim piece. There's no need to remove any other trim pieces in order to get this one out.

Finally, I just got it out! :thumbup 1:

I held under the emergency handle as far back as I could, and under the lid, and pulled up to get the rear detached. A good yank and that detached.

Even with that loose, I couldn't budge the front. It was lifting the shifter's trim and acting like they were glued together. I started wondering if they were. Or there were tabs, so I lifted at an angle.

Next focused only on the front corner by the emergency brake and got that loose. Even with that, the other corner wouldn't come. Until suddenly - it did!

There's a lot of tan/brown dirt/crud around the lips where it goes together. I assume once I've cleaned it off, maybe slipped just a touch of white lithium around... it will come off more easily next time.

Had to share the whole story, lol :cheesy:.

~~~

Nothing much underneath, but used gum (happily in wrappers), and bits of paper.... plus my ID and the pen I lost my first day. I'd watched it slip under and promptly stuck a tissue in the corner so nothing else could escape.

I've never spent so much time taking apart the insides of a car I just bought :detective:. (I've bought used and had to do engine stuff before... but not cabin immediately. So far cabin filters, CD player, and cup holder.)

These cars are relatively easy to take apart. The service person said these cars are much easier than the volvos they also work on. Mine just seems to have "stuck" issues :wacko:.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So thank you!!! Thank you!

Now for the big question -- what have you all done to alter the cup holder piece so things don't disappear?

Glued cardboard anywhere? Stuffed material in there? Said a magic incantation?

~~~

I also am down to where I can see the laser in the CD player.... So making progress on everything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts