2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Kambo
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share my experience with the rear wiper delete mod. Tools needed Adjustable wrench, flat head & philips head screwdriver (small) for prying, clear silicone, one 7/8" metal or plastic plug. Im sorry for not taking a pic of the plug. But they can be found at the home depot in the hardware section in the drawers. I painted mine black to match. Total time 30 min average

OK Just pry here on both sides to remove the 3rd break light housing.

next remove these tabs under the 3rd break light housing. this will allow you to remove the pillar covers on both sides

ok on the pillar you have the plastic ball things that your rear cargo tray hang from..

Now I didnt know this before i ripped them out,,, but if you pull on the end of the ball...

The ball slides out unlocking the pin

then it will pull right out...

remove both pillar covers

one Philips head screw to remove in the handle used for closing the hatch

also remove the two plastic pins here

next remove the bottom and last panel just pry and it will pop off.

there all the covers removed..

before you unbolt the wiper motor assembly remove the wiper first. Pop the cover off the wiper arm

use an adjustable wrench to remove the nut on the wiper arm

WARNING do not use hard objects. like a metal screw driver to pry your wiper off, you may crack your rear window :argh 1: Big $$ -- it is stubborn so I had some liquid wrench and soaked it for a few min. lift the wiper off the glass and wiggle it back and forward it should break free. Not to tough.

unplug the wiper motor..

here is the wiper motor assembly there are 3 bolts not sure what size I just used a adjustable wrench

next remove the motor assembly and the motor will fall out of the hole.

motor assembly removed

next remove the rubber grommet..

clean the glass hole real good and apply a small amount of the clear silicone on the bottom of plug and around the outside bottom of plug. Pop in place.

Clean up extra silicone and Rain X the back window

There ya go. Hope It helps :yes:

·
Parts test dummy
827 Posts
Great writeup but I don't think its anything I would do because the rear looks kinda naked without it. Do you have any pics of the car further back so we can get a full view of how it looks with out the wiper

Reactions: Kambo

·
Resident MacGyver
2,249 Posts
I use mine ALL the time, even when it's nice outside. Dust seems to collect there in a hurry. When it's raining or snowing, forget about it. I gotta have my wiper. I think in some situations it's actually dangerous to drive without the rear wiper. The spoiler keeps air off of the area, so there's nothing to clear it of obstructions.

·
Kambo
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to post some hole car pics tomorrow ( dark already ). I live in Florida so NO snow, rain is seasonal, but mainly the dirt that collects there , Plus now I have a switchable PS in the rear. Could be used for something?? Thanks for your comments. I will take some better pics tomorrow when its clean :yes:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Nice write up. I was wondering today whether or not it would be possible to install a wiper on a sedan. The crappy weather in the northeast coupled with the fact that I have to back into my space at home made me appreciate having a wiper on my back window (a la Evo 8-9). Probably not gonna happen but just curious :)

·
Super Moderator
629 Posts
great write-up! Like above, I don't know how I would deal with snow here in MI without the rear wiper, but if I lived in FL or CA I would def. do this delete, the rear wiper bothers me.

·
Kambo
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are some far pics of whole car

Reactions: Robaroni

·
The One and Only
3,597 Posts
Definitely if it rains where you are at, I would keep it on. But where I live it rains like 5 days a year, so I can deal with it. I'll probably also take off my windshield wipers and store them with the spare tire, they are just not needed in my area.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thanks for the instructions on how to remove the parts. Somehow the rubber gromet that weather seals the wiper shaft and motor got ripped on my car and this was very useful in helping me replace it.

·
Kambo
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is in chrome.. It looksuch better in person, the best view is from the side. So when I pass someone they see it very well

·
Registered
597 Posts
Definitely if it rains where you are at, I would keep it on. But where I live it rains like 5 days a year, so I can deal with it. I'll probably also take off my windshield wipers and store them with the spare tire, they are just not needed in my area.
Even if it does rain daily, the RW delete makes the back end look much cleaner. I suggest using Invisible glass with Rain Repellant. Invisible Glass | No Streaks | Glass Cleaner Availible at most autoparts stores, Wally World, I actually saw this in Lowe's the other day.

One of the first mods I did, a buck for the plug, had some silcone caulk and some paint. Cheap and quick.

·
Parts test dummy
827 Posts
I think I may have changed my mind on this mod. It is really starting to annoy me how dust collects on the wiper blade back there.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.