2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm installing soundproofing in various places to suppress the road/tyre noise. Some posters claim a significant reduction in road noise by installing self-adhesive sound damping mats behind the plastic liner in the front wheel arches. I don't favour doing this for safety reasons should the material detach. I'd prefer to stick the damping mats to the inside of the car. What's the simplest way of peeling back the carpet covering to front wheel arches so I can gain sufficient access the install the damping mats?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Lower the wheel liner and put the dampening material inside it. If you insist on removing the carpet and putting it inside then download the shop manual and follow it - will be better than anything anyone will tell you here.

Actually get the shop manual either way, it will be handy even if you're just lowering the wheel liner.

Either way buy this, it will come in handy:

BTW IMO you're better off using mass loaded vinyl than the metal adhesion panels for sound dampening. Those metal sheets are to change the sound resonance of thin pieces of metal so they sound better when flexed with a bass, not great for insulating noise. MLV is kinda pricey so I think I am going to source it from a local u-pull junkyard from a luxury vehicle like a BMW/benz

1 - 3 of 3 Posts