2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2015 Mazda3 which I bought second hand. The previous owner gave me 2 key fobs, one of which works and the other which doesn't. I tried replacing the battery, but it still doesn't work, in the sense that the led on the fob lights up when I press any button, but it will not unlock the doors and the car will not start if I have that key inside the car.

I've read online that I could try to reprogram the key, and I've found some guides about this (see for example this ). However, all these guides tell you to insert the key in the ignition, but my mazda does not have anything like this. It just starts by having the key on you and pressing the ignition button.

Is there a guide on how to reprogram the key for the car in my specific case? I couldn't find anything on the manual.

Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
That’s not a DIY job anymore. The dealer can reprogram the keys if they have the same FCC ID number. If you can find a locksmith to do it that is usually cheaper than the dealer, but most locksmiths are not equipped to do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks for the answer. The 2 keys have indeed the same FCC id, but I called the dealership and they said it's 90 bucks and it's not guaranteed it will work. Does anyone know if I can use the auxiliary key (the actualy key) to start the engine somehow? I can open the door with it by I don't see any keyslot in the car

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, thanks for the answer. The 2 keys have indeed the same FCC id, but I called the dealership and they said it's 90 bucks and it's not guaranteed it will work. Does anyone know if I can use the auxiliary key (the actualy key) to start the engine somehow? I can open the door with it by I don't see any keyslot in the car
Have you tried placing the keyfob itself by the push to start button and seeing if the car starts? When the battery in our keyfobs die, we can still start our cars but placing the keyfob directly to the push start button.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts