1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
VHT Nightshade Red will do the trick

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just pop out the inserts on both sides of your trunk, removed the jack and there are just 3 bolts for the outer ones. I would suggest a magnetic socket wrench, you don't want to lose any of them in the back bumper or you will have a rattle forever. The trunk lid/hatch should just have 2 plastic covers and there are clips that hold the reverse section in place with nuts. Those are alittle tough to get out and back in for i have had mine off like 3 times. Not too hard. I think it is a 10mm socket FYI

Also yes, red nightshade is what i used. I did 3 light coats, then let them dry, put them back on the car for a week, then removed them again, wetsanded them with like 1500grit, then put 3 mediam coats of clear on and then let that dry, put them back on the car for a week, and then i wetsanded again and then buffed with light rubbing compound and plastix and then waxed them. You wetsand to get rid of the orange peel of the paint. This makes them look OEM. My dealership couldn't even tell that they were tinted. They thought all the speeds had red tails. That passes my test. lol

·
Zoom Zooming
126 Posts
Its the same for a sedan isnt it?

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Its the same for a sedan isnt it?

Exact same except easier for us sedans theres no need to remove the jack you have to remove the carpeting which is held on by 4-6 pop screws. Then once you have taken that off the housing that contains the turn signal and brake is held on by 3 10mm bolts. Reverse light though is the exact same as Duo described.

·
Zoom Zooming
126 Posts
Sweet. I might do that on sunday after i get off duty.

·
Registered
383 Posts
just make sure that it isn't too humid and that you let them dry for atleast an hour of two before you put them back on the car. The stuff is a pain to get off if you put a fingerprint in them while you are putting them back on the car. lol

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
just make sure that it isn't too humid and that you let them dry for atleast an hour of two before you put them back on the car. The stuff is a pain to get off if you put a fingerprint in them while you are putting them back on the car. lol
I'll bet you learned that the hard way ;)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
383 Posts
No but don't want him to. I did mine on the hottest day i could find back in spring so mine were dry in like 20 minutes...But i did overspray onto a white table and that thing is permanently pink from the shit. lol

·
Zoom Zooming
126 Posts
I hear goof off will remove it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That might. I actually got something from where i work that worked but it is one of those things that shouldn't be used on fragile plastic cause it will melt it so you have to be careful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool info guys. But I don't want to mess with the removing thing.
Anyone did the painting job without removing them? Works? Looks clean? Thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
I wouldn't. Taking them off is easy and if you overspray onto your car, you will have to take some chemicals that i wouldn't want on my paint. I tried that before. I tinted the LED signals on the mirrors and didn't want to remove them from the car because i ran wiring for heated mirrors and would have had to remove the door panels. Long story short, i covered the entire side of the car in garbage bags and still had a spot on my door that was coated in red overspray. I needed to take mineral spirits to remove it. My advise is to remove them. Then you will know there is no overspray and you can make sure they are completely dry before driving with them on the car.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Cool info guys. But I don't want to mess with the removing thing.
Anyone did the painting job without removing them? Works? Looks clean? Thanks

As DuoofDeath1 stated I wouldn't either. Whenever you're doing any sort of painting job, a decent prep job is essential to getting a good outcome. Even if you use goo tape, you'll still have that spray light, and you'll need to mask off a lot of your car. If you're doing it outdoors, you'll have you worry about wind catching any of the overspray and now your car will have a pink hue to it, or worse, your neighbor's car will...

In my opinion take the lights out is one of the main steps to getting a quality job done. Also, remember to clean up the lights first, ie alcohol prep pads, etc.

-Tyler

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yes clean them well. I washed mine with Dawn dish soap first and then alcohol to make sure i removed any wax that might have been on it. Prep work is everything. I have seen people's last years and seen people's last months all because the person didn't take the time to do it right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok fine guys ... I will remove them blah :(
I will post some pics later, hope to assembly them back correctly, normally it's hard for me to put all the components back in place as per manufacturer. Grrrr grrrrr.
Normally I have screws leftover haha.

·
Registered
383 Posts
oh i completely understand about having extras but there is 3 per outside on and 2 funky ones per reverse light ones. If you have extras then they will probably wobble around. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts