2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it seems that the U.S. market will not be offered the option of factory-installed (for the time being) HID headlamps or LED taillights, those of you that retrofit the units to your '10 Speed, please post pics, how-tos, tips or experiences here. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes please, because i'm going to buy a 2010Mazda 3 2.5 hatchback and i want some HID headlamps.

should I tint my tailights?

you suggestions...

N

·
0 Posts
i'd get red overlays for the rears tail lights - can't stand them being clear. They looked rice out

and i'd do some blacked-out housing for the projectors...

N

·
0 Posts
im sure it not hard to swap out our headlights and taillights to HID/LEDs

just need to find a sucka who'll trade ya, a smashed up GT model or some Mazda dealer selling them cheap....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Search online and they are pretty easy to find. Make sure you get a digital ballast. Not sure if we can post links on the forum as there are sponsors. Look for reviews to find reputable dealers.

Just change the low beams, not the high as HID lights take a while to warm up. Most of the good kits are near plug and play.

Here's an install video link from YouTube.

Fog lights can be swapped for HID's too. Because of the wiring lengths needing to be longer, I'm not sure if the install is more difficult on the fogs. Should be H11 bulbs for both fogs and low beams.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Installing HID bulbs into a headlight housing designed for halogen bulbs is not a good nor safe idea. The proper way to add HID is to do a retro fit, not just the cheap bulb/ballast method.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

N

·
0 Posts
i agree, but if it has a projector already, why not use it? Plus the fact that the new 3's have HID models - I'd rather just swap them out once you can find them cheap

I'll end up getting a D2S PNP kit for now, and swap for the OEM HIDs later....

·
Registered
18 Posts
With projector lens already in place for the low beams, I can't think of what else one would do. These appear from the photo's I've seen (pre and post conversion) to have a good cut off to keep the light out of oncoming traffic. There are HID bulbs that are designed with exactly the same bulb profiles (shapes) as the original (H11) bulbs and those kits should be used.

Changing the high beams is a bad idea. Totally blinding and take too long to turn on/warm up.

Installing HID in a car without projector lenses is a bad idea.

N

·
0 Posts
wow, that is a bit much. I have a kit in my car now that I got for $100 off ebay. Working great for over a year.
thats cool, as long as ur satisfied. have any pics of the cutoff?

i prefer to get the brand that manufacturers use

1 - 13 of 13 Posts