2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I DONT HAVE ALL THE PICS YET. THEY WILL COME SOON.

Materials needed:
common sense
toggle/rocker switch
female connector to fit on the prongs of your switch. Dudes at radioshack will help.
wire stripper and something to crimp the connectors
led strips
rat tail file
drill with bit big enough to make a hole the file fits inside
wire cutters
flashlight
thin wire
electrical tape.

First, you're going to need the LED strip. I got this one from Walmart for $17 Walmart.com: Custom Accessories Daytime Running Light LED Strip, Blue, 2pc: Automotive It's peel and stick so pretty easy. I used a ziptie on the drivers side for good measure.

Next you're going to need this mini add a circuit. It's $6 from autozone.

You're going to need fuses. I was lucky and found a bag of assorted low amp fuses. You need a 7.5 and a 3 or 4 amp. They have to have the little prongs like in the pic. The one you take out doesnt have those.

So open your fuse box by the side of the door, look at the guide, remove the radio fuse, it's 7.5 amps. Plug the add a circuit in there. Put the 7.5 radio fuse in the bottom. The 3/4 amp goes in the top.

OR you can pop the hood, look in that fusebox, remove the headlight fuse, put whatever amp fuse that was in the bottom. This will make the LED's come on and off with the headlights.

Now you're going to need some wire. I found some in my dads toolbox. Happy day. Cut a lengthy piece of wire. Strip an end of the wire and put it into the add a circuit and crimp it. Put electrical tape around it.

Next fish the other end of the wire to where you want the switch. I put mine and on the very bottom of the panel below the steering wheel. If you want to put the switch there, get the wire down so you can see it by the floor board. Leave a fair amount of extra wire. Strip the end. Get female connector. Crimp it on. Tape around it with electrical tape. The female connector is so you can connect this, the power wire, to the switch in a few steps.

Um, I guess you can install the switch now. Drill a hole. Put masking tape around the hole. If the file slips out, its going to scratch the hell out of your panel like it did mine. Then you get to spend 30 minutes buffing with Novus plastic scratch remover. Now file out the hole so your switch fits in. I used this switch. The ring screws on from the back. I found it easier to hold the ring from behind the panel, and twist the switch itself from the front til it was snug.

Put your LED strips on. There is a metal bar under the drivers side, perfect spot. On the passenger side there is a little plastic shield thing under the glove box, also works good. Run the wire into a little gap in the side panel, remove the center console, and run the wire under there and out the gap on the drivers side.

Now on the led strips, the wire with a white line on this is the positive wire. Heres where common sense sets in because I cant really explain it. But I'll try. Both sets of wires from passenger side and driver side led strips should be very close to each other. You have the wire from the strip on the drivers side and the wire from the passenger side that you ran under the console and out the drivers side. Trim them so they are they are the same length but leave like 4 extra inches. You're going to need to separate the positive and negative sides from both sets of wires on each strip. I carefully cut in-between the 2 wires with wire cutters then carefully pulled them apart. Dont force it though or you'll rip the wire out of the insulation. Strip the ends of both positive wires and twist the ends together. Shove them into a female connector. Crimp it on. Put electrical tape around it. Take the ends of both negative wires and twist them together. Get some electrical tape and tape them to the metal bar. Make sure the actual wire is touching the bar. You need metal on metal. Tape it GOOD. I was having issues with it coming off because the tape wouldnt stick.

Now you take the 2 female connectors you have, one from wire you ran out of the add a circuit and one from the LED strips. Plug them onto the switch.

Turn the key to acc/on position. Turn on your switch. The lights SHOULD light up. If you wired them to the headlights, they will light up if you turn the parking lights or headlights on.

Here it is through 20% tint (I guess tracing paper will dim them kinda like this. I think they're a little bright)

Here is a diagram to help visualize whats going on. Some pics I cant get because its too dark and I'm not taking it all apart to get simple pics. The wire from the battery to the fuse holder is already there obviously. Thats how your fuse box gets power. Only difference is the negative wire can go to bare metal. Doesnt have to go to the negative terminal.

·
Hai Guyz C:
776 Posts
Glad that you got it all figured out! Wanna see some pics!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
very nice write up, I recommend putting a pic of how it looks in the car, not to bright @ night right?
I'll get pics of the lights in the car and where it says "insert pic". I actually haven't seen them at night yet. What happened was I used a toggle switch that lighted up at first. The light was obnoxious and the switch looked tacky. And I didnt realize it but that light in the switch withdrew a ton of power from the circuit. So when I switched to that rocker switch, not only did I get the "clean" oem look that I desire, the LED's got wayyy brighter. If you follow. I know that was confusing. But if it is too bright at night, I'll try to put tracing paper over the LED's which will dim them out evenly I think. Or I could try to cover up a few of the LED's with some electrical tape. That's what another guy on the forum did. Everyone will like them at a different brightness though.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I'd love to see some pics too!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
:worthless-1 1:

Reactions: RyanGoesFast

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nice write up, I plan on doing this myself here in the next week or two. More pics would be great though, especially of the finished product! I do have one question though, I know tracing paper or electrical tape would work, but does anyone know of an LED strip set that has a dimmer so I can control the brightness that way? That would be ideal, because I don't want the LEDs to be very bright at all, I just want a nice low glow.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice write up, I plan on doing this myself here in the next week or two. More pics would be great though, especially of the finished product! I do have one question though, I know tracing paper or electrical tape would work, but does anyone know of an LED strip set that has a dimmer so I can control the brightness that way? That would be ideal, because I don't want the LEDs to be very bright at all, I just want a nice low glow.
I don't know of any :( I looked for an aftermarket dimmer switch I could try to wire in but no luck.

I got pics last night, I'll update my op tonight with some more pics.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't know of any :( I looked for an aftermarket dimmer switch I could try to wire in but no luck.

I got pics last night, I'll update my op tonight with some more pics.
I was afraid of that, I've tried to search on here for someone that had a dimmer, but haven't found one yet. I'm just afraid of these sets being too bright, most of them advertise how bright they are, and I don't want that! Lol, what do you think about yours? Think they are a bit bright or just right?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wow, yeah that is pretty bright! I found some small LED strips, 4 inch ones, at my local Autozone. I'm thinking of trying those. I'd love to see some pics with the tracing paper or electrical tape to see how much you can dim them though.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, yeah that is pretty bright! I found some small LED strips, 4 inch ones, at my local Autozone. I'm thinking of trying those. I'd love to see some pics with the tracing paper or electrical tape to see how much you can dim them though.
sure thing. I'll get some tomorrow night. I'd think the smaller strip wouldnt be quite as bright but I have no clue.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i have been debating this for awhile, mainly on how i want to do it. I have been curious about taping into the power and utilizing the power as well as dimmer for dash lights. Definitely for see a ton of R&D if i go down that route but the end result would be pleasing. Got the feeling it may require soldering to some of the dash circuitry.

·
Hai Guyz C:
776 Posts
Looks good Casey. Tracing paper over them is a good idea, it should let enough light out but not so much that it's blinding you when your sitting in the car. I'm guessing the toggle switch ended up working correctly!

·
Registered
183 Posts
i have been debating this for awhile, mainly on how i want to do it. I have been curious about taping into the power and utilizing the power as well as dimmer for dash lights. Definitely for see a ton of R&D if i go down that route but the end result would be pleasing. Got the feeling it may require soldering to some of the dash circuitry.
That's a very interesting thought... My only problem with that is that I tend to leave the dash lights all the way up, and I would probably want to turn the LEDs down separately, but I bet that would be a very nice and clean setup if you pulled it off. I also hate making permanent changes to my car...but I will probably have to get over that one.

Looking forward to the shots with the tracing paper, looks great so far!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shit I didn't get to the more pics. I'll get it tonight, I promise. I didnt remember where my tracing lapaer was and everyone was sleeping so i didnt want to get everyone up lol.

Switch works great! I don't want to mess with a dimmer. It's too much $ lol

The next thing Im going to try to do is run it from the fuse box under the hood from the headlight fuse. I have to take the battery tray and stuff though so that'll be next week.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.