2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

How to keep mice out

Tags
mice
10K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  minsanity 
#1 ·
Took my 2018 3 Sport in to the dealer yesterday for the 16,000 kilometer checkup and they found mouse droppings in the air filter. I live in the country so that may be part of the problem. Any recommended ways to keep mice out?

#2 ·
Ring of traps around the car every night?

But seriously, if you can't get a good suggestion here, check a mountaineering forum like 14ers.com and see what people use to keep critters out of their cars when they go hiking and camping. There are plenty of stories of people driving hours out to a trailhead, hiking up and down a mountain, and then getting back to their cars/jeeps and can't start them because a marmot or other small mammal chewed through a wire. I think there are some sprays and other products. Good luck!

#3 ·
Fabric softener sheet

Reactions: rob342
#4 ·
It sucks and they smell terrible, but moth balls will work. This is more common than you think.

All said and one though, I'm sure a few Google searches can yield some pretty creative solutions too -- might try that.

#7 ·
Used to have mice problems (live in the middle of the woods), but no longer. For the last four years, I now have two of these in my garage, and unlike the old days of mice living in different parts of my cars, no more mice since.

I buy them them from Amazon:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Heavy-Duty-PestChaser-M792-available/dp/B001B1OI0A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1525460600&sr=8-2&keywords=victor+sonic+pestchaser&dpID=41GB7UyOfIL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch[/ame]

#10 ·
Recirculation setting

I have a similar problem and my wife is discussed by the residual smell of a dead mouse we found in a door cupholder.
I had a mechanic friend suggest setting the air circulation to recirculate vs fresh air intake, this blocks the access with hard plastic so the mice can't find their way in through air system.

So far no more mice, but will be making my own Peppermint and Cinnamon oil air fresheners to keep them away!

#13 ·
Tried peppermint oil alone on the engine bay...doesn't really work vs rodents here. The sting goes away pretty quickly. What seems to keep em off is my modified concoction of chili powder + peppermint oil in detailer/protectant(Armor All or the like) solution. The thin gloss film not only is less volatile, but helps you see the rodent tracks better, should they return.
Interior infestation is something I hope I'd never ever have. I always opt recirc mode.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

#12 ·
The common thread seems to be low profile tires. I hate em. Mice have much less effort to put forward when the axles and struts are half the height of standard tires. My son's Camero had the same issue with LP tires. Not sure of the solution. We're dealing with it now as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.