2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty peeps, bear with me with the cell phone pics. Tools you will need is a ratchet, 8mm & 10mm socket, a couple of extensions, and flat head screw driver.

1. Start with the cup holders, set the E-brake and stick your fingers in the opening of it and just lift up, start from the back work your way up towards the shifter.

2. Unscrew your shift knob counter clock wise, and then grab the back of that panel and just lift up.

3. Removal the console kick panels, just grab it where my hands are and just pull, they're just held on by pressure clips.

4. Fold your back seats down (I'll explain later) and then unscrew the bottom bolts of the A/C panel.

5. Back where your cup holders would be, there is a white connector, undo that connector. It's your 12volt and AUX cable and there is a gray clip that it also attaches to the body of the console, it's a pain but just stick your flat head and wiggle it in all directions til it pops out.

6. Look at the picture that has 3 red squares, bottom right there is a clip for that wiring harness just lift up and it'll pop out. The other red squares you see in the pics are the stock rubber shifter bushings.

7. Now this is how you physically removal the entire console out, grab the bottom back of the console but only lift up a few inches and give it a good tug towards the back of the car. The pictures you see how the tabs are attached, they're attached straight on and not curved so that's why you don't want to lift up too high cuz you'll end up breaking the tabs if you do. You will tug the entire console to the back and this is why you want your seats folded down, cuz it literally goes into the trunk.

8. Now you can see the remainder of the 2 bolts that holds the AC panel for those who are wondering. One on each side.

Below is how to install the JBR shifter bushings.

1. Get your 10mm socket and unscrew all 4 bolts that holds the shifter down and set those aside, you will need to reuse those bolts.

2. Stick your flat head screw driver and pry up the steel sleeve and remove them.

3. I lifted up the shifter just a little bit and used my flat head and push out the rubber bushings from the top so it'll pop out from the bottom.

4. Now to install the new solid bushings, the smaller taper side needs to face up towards the roof and the flat end towards the bottom of the car. You install the bushings underneath of the entire shifter. Align every bushing.

5. Place the washer on top of the shifter assembly and then grab the bolts you set aside earlier and then bolt them back down. That's it!

6. Put everything back in reverse order and you're done :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add, this is for the 2nd gen MZ3/MS3. For those with the 13' with tech package, there is an extra connector next to the white clip that you have to remove. That's your SD card map reader for your GPS. For those with the skyactiv, do me a favor and please confirm for me this is the same steps to take.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can feel it "clicking" into every gear.....it's suppose to give you drove off the lot feel when shifting. Since my car is fairly new, I didn't feel a different, I'm sure the 2010 and below peeps will feel a difference. Worth it when you're doing the short shift plate that's for sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts