2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
LiveWrong
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tackled the install of my Corksport Short Ram Air Intake the other night. Its a very easy install.
I decided to post a "How-To" because although there is a thread on how to do a 2.5L engine, I did not see one for the SkyActive (SA) model.

I believe this install will work for other SRI's as well, if its not Corksport.

Here is what you are going to receive in the box from Corksport;
Filter (Blue, right)
MAF Housing (Black, left)
Silicone Tubing (Black, center)
Three T-Clamps (Bottom)
Auto part Muffler

Before you do anything, disconnect the negative battery terminal.

Removing Stock Intake

First, make sure your MAF sensor fits in the provided MAF housing. The housing differs between the SA model and the 2.5 model. The distance between the screw holes are different. There are also aluminum pillars that raise the MAF sensor up higher on the 2.5 model MAF housing that does not allow the SA model MAF sensor to seat correctly.
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Hand

To remove the MAF sensor, remove the two screws that hold it into the air box as well as the connector in between the two screws.
Auto part Engine Fuel line Pipe Automotive engine part

Once the screws are removed and the connector is disconnected, pull the MAF sensor straight up while twisting. There is a rubber o-ring that seals the MAF sensor hole that will create some friction while removing the sensor.
In this photo you can see the black o-ring.
Auto part Engine Fuel line Automotive engine part Automotive fuel system

Make sure your MAF sensor fits. Push the MAF sensor straight down into the MAF housing of the new SRI while twisting, ensuring not to pinch the o-ring. Put the screws in and make sure you can get a nice, snug fit. If it does, move on. If it does not, contact Corksport and they will help you out!

Once this is done, your going to remove another sensor that is located in the rubber tubing that goes to the throttle body. While doing this, also pull the coolant line out of the foam clip on the same tubing.
Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Suspension

After that, you are going to loosen the two Philips head screws that clamp the rubber tubing to the throttle body and air box. I do not have a picture for this.

Once the two clamps are loosened, carefully pull the rubber tubing off of the throttle body and air box. It is rubber, so it can bend to get it off easier.
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Suspension Fuel line

Once that is removed, you need to remove the bolt in the front of the air box. This is the only bolt holding the air box in. The first picture is the bolt, the second is zoomed out so you can see where it is in the engine bay.
Auto part Engine Muffler Vehicle Gas
Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line Car

Once that bolt is removed, remove the plastic intake tube located in the front of the car. There is a clip on the top and bottom of the end of this plastic tube, closest to the front grill.
Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Exhaust manifold Pipe

Now just pull the entire air box straight up. You have to jockey it out of the area around the bracket where you took the bolt out that held the air box in. The only thing holding the air box in are two little rubber grommets under the air box that two little pegs on the bottom of the air box slide into.
Grommets
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Fuel line Metal

Pegs
Vehicle

Now you should see this...
Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

Don't mind the red wire, that is the power source to my amplifier.

You will see a second air inlet tube. I believe this is just bringing in air from a separate location. You do not do anything with this piece.
Auto part Fuel line Engine Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust

Installing SRI
Assemble the new SRI by sliding the silicone tubing over the side of the MAF housing with the arrow that says "airflow" pointing to the silicone tubing. Use one of the larger clamps to clamp this into place. Don't tighten yet, your going to need to move it around and make sure it lines up correctly.

Place the filter over the other end of the MAF housing with the second of the large clams around the bottom of the filter. Tighten this clamp as well. The filter you won't have to twist around as much so you can snug that clamp now.

Place the last, the smallest, clamp over the other end if the silicone tubing and slide this onto the throttle body as far as you can. There is a stopper on the throttle body that will not let it go any further back. Tighten this clamp so you can twist it if necessary.

Orient the silicone tubing so the little inlet is pointing up.
Orient the MAF housing so the MAF sensor is pointing up; so you can see the screws holding it in and the connector can go straight into the port.

Once everything is oriented as stated above, tighten down firmly. You DO NOT want this to be able to twist around.

Reconnect the connection for the MAF sensor, and place the other sensor in the small inlet on the silicone tubing. Make sure this is all the way down and there are no gaps.

Once all is said and done, reconnect that negative terminal on the battery.
Turn the car on and test the intake. Listen for leaks.

If your check engine light is on, turn the car off, remove the negative battery terminal again for 3-5 minutes and then re-connect it. Turn the car on and it should be gone.

And there you have it!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

Hope this helps anybody that was looking for it.
If I missed anything or need to clarify anything, please let me know.
As I said, this is my first "How-To" post.

Thanks!

·
LiveWrong
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot! Hope it helps some people out. Doing installs yourself makes you feel a lot better about your car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,759 Posts
Basic but informative, very good. :) For bonus points, take off the front bumper and remove the intake resonator and its heavy-ass mounting brackets -- you don't need them anymore! Use the space to run some ducting from the bumper (cut out the fog light shroud or something) to feed the SRI, your engine will appreciate the cooler air.

·
LiveWrong
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basic but informative, very good. :) For bonus points, take off the front bumper and remove the intake resonator and its heavy-ass mounting brackets -- you don't need them anymore! Use the space to run some ducting from the bumper (cut out the fog light shroud or something) to feed the SRI, your engine will appreciate the cooler air.
I was going to look into piece that tomorrow. So that small tubing in the bottom is a resonator?

If I end up doing it ill definitely explain how in this post.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,759 Posts
Yeah, it empties out into a closed-end box, which is then held on to the front crash structure by two unnecessarily beefy brackets. With the stock airbox you'd want to keep it, but it's just dead weight otherwise.

·
LiveWrong
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

·
LiveWrong
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately not. I will definitely post when I do though. Possible tomorrow.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Is it possible to remove it without removing the front bumper? There's also another inlet to remove in back on the front bumper no?

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,759 Posts
The intake duct on the radiator shroud should stay -- it feeds air directly to the cone filter and I can't see how that's a bad thing.

As for the resonator, the brackets holding that sucker on are hidden underneath a bunch of stuff, and you need a super-long, flexible socket to even reach the bolts without taking off fender liners. I doubt you can do it without taking off the front bumper.

·
LiveWrong
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The intake duct on the radiator shroud should stay -- it feeds air directly to the cone filter and I can't see how that's a bad thing.
If in remember correctly, the intake from the top is a 90* angle. It may bring air in but I don't think it really benefits the SRI at all. Plus I don't know if I'd trust just those two plastic clips to keep it in place.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,759 Posts
We don't have a true ram air once we go SRI -- there's no box to create positive pressure. So it doesn't matter what angle the duct sits at, it's just bringing ambient air into the engine bay to wash away the hot air that would otherwise collect in that area underhood.

My duct hasn't come off yet. ;)

·
LiveWrong
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We don't have a true ram air once we go SRI -- there's no box to create positive pressure. So it doesn't matter what angle the duct sits at, it's just bringing ambient air into the engine bay to wash away the hot air that would otherwise collect in that area underhood.

My duct hasn't come off yet. ;)
Excellent point. Maybe ill throw mine back on and see if there is any noticeable difference. I was looking into getting the CS SRI box so it won't do much good after that. When @tastic did some testing, it showed that the box is actually worth it.

·
LiveWrong
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guess I'll leave it on then. As for the resonator, that is the resonator right? I'll attempt to take it off to save weight, probably not much?
Probably not a lot but it may be a good thing to save for a rainy day.

·
Registered
221 Posts
color0. Can you pinpoint to me where the location of the screw for that box without removing the front bumper? Thanks

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,759 Posts
No way in hell that is possible lol. The bracket is pretty much tucked behind the front left fender liner so I needed to have the front bumper all the way off, tuck a 12" socket extension way deep into the crumple zone, and that's where the bracket is.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts