2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago i bought some Philips LED Daylight 4 DRL's. In my opinion these are great and i love the way they look. If some of you may recall i made a previous thread where i had DRL's installed also but they were those cheap LED strip ones for which i made a button near the DSC inside the car so i could turn them on and off with freedom. However, these are the real deal and as soon as you turn the car on, they turn on, as soon as you turn your lights on, they turn off. Anyway i took a few pictures and did a bit of a write up for you guys so you can see how it all went down. BTW im in Australia so for most of you it will be the other way around (RH and LH driving).

Here are just some pics with them on, they are really bright at 900 Candela, a lot brighter than those cheap imitations.

In the pictures they look pretty small, but in real life they are actually a little bigger light wise and dont look like just one big light, they are in fact 4 LED's. The camera just doesnt do justice. Anyway..........

Finding where to put the brackets which hold the lights took about 1-1.5 hours, it was the longest part of the whole process. I went extreme and checked everywhere but only few spots allowed the brackets to fit in nicely. The red circles indicate the spot i really wanted and where my previous cheap DRL's were placed, however for the brackets to be mounted properly, they would have to be pointing down a little bit, which meant the light would be pointing down also, thus no point of the DRL's if they are pointing down. I secured the lights with double sided tape, the best i could find, since the spot i put them in requires to press down the plastic piece a little bit, this meant that the plastic piece would also be holding the lights and brackets in place, the tape was just piece of mind. You do get screws but i hate drilling holes in my car! The spot i chose IMO was easy to fit and still looks nice and maybe even OEM.

What i did was undo the bottom side of the bumper to allow me to be able to thread the cables easier that accompany the DRL's. The screws are highlighted yellow that need to be removed and then the wires simply run behind that little bit, as shown by the red arrow. NOTE: this is the drivers side

This is the passenger side one. Same drill as the other one, undo the screws and let the cables run behind, a lot easier to do when you undo the bottom part as i did. In this part, i wanted to make it a little neater and safer also, so what i did was the cables that are running from the drivers side i zip-tied to the little plastic piece shown in blue, therefore the cable would be nice and tight and if somehow the lights started to fall off, the cable would still make sure they were firmly attached to the car.

Now under the hood, we just pass the wires up from the bottom of the car to the top, coming from the area circled in yellow. To make it neat, wrap the wires from both sides of the DRL's together and zip-tie them to something under the hood, i found a little place and it just makes it easier to work when there arent 80m of cable everywhere, also it looks tidy.

Now, you clip the cables into this little box they give you which controls everything, i've forgotten the name of it but it doesnt matter. They just clip in as shown by the yellow boxes. The DRL box shown in yellow is taped to my fuse box with double sided tape also, its a good spot, away from heat and easy to remove and reach. From the DRL box you get 3 wires, a red, a black and an orange. The red and black go into the terminals of the battery (blue arrow). The orange has to go towards the headlamp connectors.

These go to the battery, red and black wires. CAREFUL! I wasnt paying attention when i was unscrewing them with my wrench and accidentaly touched the negative terminal with my wrench whilst i was inscrewing the positive, there was a great spark and the wrench bit which touched melted completey, i was lucky!

This is the tricky part. The orange wire mentioned previously has to connect to the wire that controls your headlights and stuff, therefore when you turn them on, the DRL's will switch off. So firstly, unpluf the headlamp connector. Then making sure the black and red wires are attached to the battery, turn your parkers on to allow power to flow (no need to turn car on). Then simply touch the pins one by one on the unplugged headlight connector with the orange wire from the DRL box to identify which wire you need, when the light turns blue on the DRL box, then you have found your wire. It was the orange one in mine, i simply peeled the plastic/tape holding them together so i could reach the orange wire and isolate it. The DRL kit gives you what is called a one touch connector, a little piece of plastic that connects two wires together without the need for cutting and soldering etc. Anyway in the picture, the yellow box with the orange lines shows what i mean. The long orange line is the one thats for the headlights/parklights of the car and the short orange line is the one from the DRL box, you put them in the one touch connector, it slices them a little bit when you close it (shown by green squiggle) and thus makes a connection. Some tape for safety from water and some more zip tying of cables and you are done!

The whole procedure took me 4 hours, BUT - it took me a while to find where and how i was going to do it. I took the whole underside of the bumper off for some reason (to check something, as i was gonna put them elsewhere). Waited for the drill to charge (didnt end up using it). Had to go buy double side tape. Once you figure out where and how you're going to put them the rest is easy. The wiring and all that took about 15 minutes, it was real easy and straightforward. I love the look of them and the idea that they are authentic DRL's. They cost $300 but i only payed $50, since others chipped in for my birthday. Hope you guys like the write up, please like if you do!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
edited

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nice write up!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any chance that they can be wired to both when headlights are on and off?
im thinking of getting 2x 8 LEDs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have a picture with the previous DRL's (marked in red)? I would like to install something like this but in that specific place. Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Any chance that they can be wired to both when headlights are on and off?
im thinking of getting 2x 8 LEDs
okay so i did my own version of this to run the led drls constantly. if you have an aftermarket deck it makes it super easy.
so i basically mounted my lights, ran power wire through firewall, and spliced with my decks remote power cable to amp. it turns on with my amp, and it stays on maybe 2 sec after turning off my car.
if you dont have a deck, i would splice to your little bulb for your ignition key area.
pull off steering column covers [three screws under] and splice with the power wire.
hope this helps

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
go to the Philips website and you will find them on there. There are the 4LED the 6LED and 8LED.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Curious how much they point down with the brackets? I was thinking of picking of the philips 8 and put them in the area underneath the fog lights where you originally wanted to put them. First, i hope they would fit, and 2nd, that the downward angle isn't too much? Figured maybe an 8 strip would make it more visible and effective.

Thanks!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Curious how much they point down with the brackets? I was thinking of picking of the philips 8 and put them in the area underneath the fog lights where you originally wanted to put them. First, i hope they would fit, and 2nd, that the downward angle isn't too much? Figured maybe an 8 strip would make it more visible and effective.

Thanks!
they point at the legal limit when fitted properly. Once you buy it the instructions manual has the information on how much it should point down and out. The phillips 8 is a large strip - dont forget these cant bend and the 8 LED strip is very long and really chunky. I had trouble finding a spot for my ones let alone the 8 one. 8 would look great but the unusual grill of the MZ3 and its curves makes it almost impossible to fit these LED's. Just something to think about

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Squats nd Oats
628 Posts
Has anyone routed through the firewall? If so, whats the easiest way? I want my switch to end up on my center console.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have the Phillips 4-LED DRL's also....

Hands Down one of my favorite Mods to add...Freak'in Bright!:yes:

PLus these are "Legit" Phillips LED's not some Off name brand LED bulbs....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts