2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

HOW-TO: INSTALL POWER FOLDING MIRRORS

60K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  jhayxian 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's a quick how to on installing the mirrors:

FYI: My car, is GT model, has heated mirrors, DOES NOT have blind spot monitor.

1. Purchase the mirrors. I went to Japan for vacation, so I picked up a pair.

2. remove the door panels

Here's a pic of the clip locations:

3. Unplug the harness and remove the access cover

4. undo the 3 bolts and then the clip

5. Look carefully at the routing of the wiring harness. It has to go behind and around the window track

6. Once removed, carefully pull/pry the glass mirror. it should pop off.

7. Mine had heated mirrors, so I had to transfer the wiring to the new mirrors. NOTE: the two black wires connected to the glass on previous picture.

8. One wire goes to the bottom left pin (called pin I)

The other black wire is spliced into the green wire (at pin C)

Before transferring these wires, use a masking tape and mark which one is top and which is bottom (not sure if necessary, but this is what I did).

Cut the wires, and transfer them to the new mirrors. (no pictures, just undo all the electrical tape, put it in, and re-tape it).

9. Transfer the signal light to the new mirror

10. transfer the mirror cap to the new mirror

11. install the glass back on.

12. install is reversal of removal.

13. For the switch, I had purchased an OEM Mazda swtich from Mazda China which had the power folding mirror function. I couldn't get it to work.

Here are the two schematics:

Larger picture here:
http://oi60.tinypic.com/10x8ztd.jpg

Left is USDM, non power folding
Right is power-folding.

I tried to remove the pins, and re-locate them to the proper place. (yes, following the diagrams), but didn't work.

MOVE PIN 2M TO 1E
MOVE PIN 2E TO 2M
MOVE PIN 2I TO 2L
MOVE PIN 2J TO 2I
MOVE PIN 2G TO 2J
CONNECT PIN 2K TO 2A
ATTACH POWER MIRROR WIRES TO PIN 2E AND 2K.

DOESN'T WORK.

PLAN B:
I purchased an auto-folding mirror kit. There are many universal kits available... like this:
Free shipping Universal car side mirror folding kits fold the side mirror down and up Car mirror closing system-in Alarm Systems & Security from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The one I purchased was specifically for Mazda CX5 (so it plugs in).
Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is 2015 Very Popular Mirror folding kit for Mazda CX-5 auto folding side mirror module DC 12V Voltage

But even with this kit, some wires need to be moved because it follows the wiring from the vehicles that already have power folding mirrors.

moved a few wires around, and works perfectly.
Here's the schematics I found and followed.

14. The factory harness doesn't have pins in the connector for the power folding mirror wires. I spliced some connectors on it to connect the wires.

15. Run a wire all the way from the left door to the right door mirror. I used speaker wire. Here, I routed it through the factory harness.

16. enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ksvFoSHXpY

17. FINAL NOTE:
When I adjust the glass on the driver's side, I have to adjust it all the way left (MAXED OUT), and it's kinda okay for my seating position. I don't recall it being maxed out on the USDM mirrors. I guess the JDM mirrors are not symmetrical, since our driver's side is their passenger side. Perhaps others should try to get a set of electric folding mirrors from a country that is left hand drive (ie. china / taiwan).

See less See more
#5 ·
All I saw of interest were the LED fog lights...

Otherwise, go to autoexe and get some goodies.

but seriously, I suggest getting the mirrors from a LHD car if you can. The mirror adjustment isn't enough using JDM mirrors.

My invoice shows 32,184 JPN YEN for the pair.

I also hired an interpreter to go with me to buy the mirrors. Usually they don't have it at the dealership, but can get it the next day from their warehouse.

#9 ·
I believe I am going to buy replacement mirrors on my 2016 Mazda 6 Touring. Honestly, the part where the blind spot monitoring light shows annoys me since it is a triangle wedged into the corner of an oval mirror... so may as well make 'em power in the process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.