2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 231 Posts

· Registered
229 Posts
Has this location given you any problems moisture wise. I know that there are some plastic vents around there that open up for incoming air. i don't know if when washing the car the hose opens them up and lets water in.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Has this location given you any problems moisture wise. I know that there are some plastic vents around there that open up for incoming air. i don't know if when washing the car the hose opens them up and lets water in.
I've washed my car and when I open the hood I never notice water on the ballasts. I've also checked them out after driving in the rain and they are dry then as well.

· Registered
5,725 Posts
Mazda3 headlights are in fact projector headlights that utilize H11 Halogen bulbs unless you purchased the technology package which includes adaptive bi-xenon HID's. Stick with 35 watt HID's and no overlays and you will have no problems whatsoever with overheating, lens crystallization or meltdown issues. 5k or 6k gives the best light. I've been running 6k DDM slimlines for a year now with zero issues.

Reactions: SneakyPete

· Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Warlord, I see you mounted the ballast for your low beams on top of the battery? housing on the drivers side, where did you mount the ballasts on the passanger side, and for your fogs? Did you have to get the connectors off EBay, and have you had any issues using DDM?

Awesome car, go Saints!

· Registered
5,725 Posts
Driver side slim ballast is mounted on top of the fuse box, pass side slim ballast is mounted to the pass side light housing. There's a flat spot where it fits perfect. Both my slimlines and raptors came with connectors. DDM's have worked great for me. I wouldn't buy the Raptors again though. They are huge compared to the the slims. About 3-4 times bigger and heavier and the wires are a lot shorter so mounting places are limited.. I tie wrapped and velcro'd the Raptors for my fogs right next to the fog lights inside the bumper. There's a flat spot there too. Slims would have been an easier fit. But it's done and it's all good. I ordered 9006 connectors off ebay thinking that the Raptors wouldn't come with them so now I have a brand new set of 9006 female connectors that I don't need. If anyone needs them PM me.

· Registered
4 Posts
i got my DDM raptors over the weekend and found out that came with spades. I guess it really is random.

It was pretty new to this but overall the installation was simple. Luckily for me it came with the 3 metal tabs on the bulb and the polarity correct. Now i m just waiting for the male connectors to come in. Checked 4 local auto stores and none of them had the connector.

Overall very happy with them.

· Registered
229 Posts
I installed mine during my lunch break on friday. It took me less than 20 minutes the hardest part was getting to the spot I wanted on the passenger side because of a wire that i had to move. Now everything is tucked in and hidden. I even used the "clamps" that the stock wire go thru.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
You may not get the connectors, but if the Raptors ship out with the metal inserts/tabs for the headlight bulb into the housing, that alone makes it worth choosing them. The plastic tabs on the Slim kits stink.

· Registered
9 Posts
So it sounds tike a crap shoot!, I'm confused now and please help me out, I want to get it right the 1st time I order these. The slim ballast (Raptor?) come with the connectors or "spades"?, and which kit comes with the metal tabs that Dano285 speaks of? Also, either way does the HID bulb fit snugly into the projector housing and covered with the rubber cover? I thought I noticed in Dano's picture posting the rubber cover dangling loosely.

Thanks everyone!

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
So it sounds tike a crap shoot!, I'm confused now and please help me out, I want to get it right the 1st time I order these. The slim ballast (Raptor?) come with the connectors or "spades"?, and which kit comes with the metal tabs that Dano285 speaks of? Also, either way does the HID bulb fit snugly into the projector housing and covered with the rubber cover? I thought I noticed in Dano's picture posting the rubber cover dangling loosely.

Thanks everyone!
The rubber cover I noticed is on Dano's picture starts with "I started on the driver's side. I wrapped all loose wires", or am I mistaken? sorry if I am, I'm a detail freak and a got little OCD!

Thanks!
It seems more Raptor kits come with the proper connectors instead of spades, but a lot of people are posting up that they got spades in their Raptor kits. What I do believe you get with the Raptor kit is the metal tabs that hold the bulb in the housing, versus the plastic tabs that come in the Slim kits.

It's a crapshoot, but if you don't mind bigger ballasts get the Raptor kit as the Slims seem to never come with the metal tabs. If you're worried about concealing things get the Slim kit.

The rubber cover is the same for both kits. I'm sure there's some way to get it right up against the back of the headlight but I didn't bother caring enough. The factory setup does not have a cover, there's no reason an aftermarket bulb with the same locking design to the bulb should need one either.

· Registered
4 Posts
its pretty much random but i think majority of ppl who ordered recently have been getting the spades. The raptors come with 3 metal tabs on the bulb that fit into the housing while the slims i think come with 2 plastic tabs on the bulb. The spade connectors arent that bad. You can just but 2 covers for them cheap on ebay. That way if the polarities are reversed you can switch them instead of sticking the male connector upside down on the female one.

· Registered
36 Posts
its pretty much random but i think majority of ppl who ordered recently have been getting the spades. The raptors come with 3 metal tabs on the bulb that fit into the housing while the slims i think come with 2 plastic tabs on the bulb. The spade connectors arent that bad. You can just but 2 covers for them cheap on ebay. That way if the polarities are reversed you can switch them instead of sticking the male connector upside down on the female one.
Ok I had ordered the Raptors and they came with the spade harness and the Plastic Tabs (3 tabs) I doubt there are harnesses with just 2 tabs as you mention. I know they were plastic cos i goofed up on my 1st install where in i forced the turn of the bulb into the housing. It turned but something snapped and the bulb popped out. I noticed that the plastic from the tab broke off and fell into the housing.

So i ordered another set from DDM and they sent the same looking harness and this time though was a bitch to get into the housing..I managed it. I can say for sure the plastic that broke off came from the bulb harness (as my stock bulb turned into the housing with no problems). Needless to say, maybe DDm has become cheap and are sending out just the spade and plastic tab harnesses.

However, I dont see why this is a concern. As long as the bulb snaps into place within the housing, there should be no issues in functionality. But I am guessing the Raptors are more solid a build than the slimlines and should last longer. ( i maybe wrong though)

· Mazda Newbie
29 Posts
My kit just came in today! I got a 35W 5000k Raptor Kit

Things of note:
- My bulbs do have a 90 degree bend in their harness. Are you sure you got the right bulbs, in your post you said yours didn't have a bend like the stock bulbs.
- They also came with metal tabs on the bulbs.
- And the kit did come with the male H11 connectors, I guess I don't need the extra connectors!

· College Zoom-Zoom
3,258 Posts

Things of note:
- My bulbs do have a 90 degree bend in their harness. Are you sure you got the right bulbs, in your post you said yours didn't have a bend like the stock bulbs.
- And the kit did come with the male H11 connectors, I guess I don't need the extra connectors!
Exactly the same thing I got today in the mail. Loving them alot!

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·

Things of note:
This is why the Raptor kit > Slim kit in MOST situations. My bulb fits snug into the housing, it was just a pain to turn with no elbow so I'm fairly certain it's the correct unit.

· The One and Only
3,597 Posts
I loved my DDM's untill they started causing problems like, driving home at night without the lights on. And I don t think the color output is the best. Check out my group but, if we can get the kits in the low $200 for high quality, bulbs, ballasts and projectors there will be many happier customers.

· Mazda Newbie
29 Posts
This is why the Raptor kit > Slim kit in MOST situations. My bulb fits snug into the housing, it was just a pain to turn with no elbow so I'm fairly certain it's the correct unit.
Oh okay, after a quick search I found that h11 bulbs come both with an elbow and without. Good to know.

I will be installing the kit today, I will post how it goes. Thanks for the guide!

41 - 60 of 231 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.