2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

How To: Home Depot Lip Kit for GenPu's

22K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  tenchu 
#1 · (Edited)
Many of you heard about the “Home Depot Lip Kit” or have seen the EZLip Universal lip sold on eBay.

Well, I couldn’t find anyone who did this on a GenPu, so I decided to try it out and do a write up about it.

NOTE: This is my second attempt at this lip. My first attempt didn’t quite come out right due to the stock splitters being in the way.

My second attempt came out, IMO, perfect. So here it goes.

Official GenPu Home Depot Lip Kit How-To Guide

Tools Needed:

1x - 9ft Garage Door Bottom Seal $9.50 + Tax

2x – 5ft (1.65y) Scotch Double Sided Tape. 20lbs hold is recommended.

Optional – Self Tapping Screws & Washers (preferably ½”)

Drill & Drill bit no larger than ¼”

Razor Blade or a Sharp Pair of Scissors

Step 1: Remove stock splitters.

Locate the (4) rivets attaching the splitters to car and drill out the centers releasing them from the car.

Step 2: Thoroughly Clean surface

Use alcohol or like cleaner to thoroughly clean the surface where the lip will attach to the car.

It is Imperative that this section is cleaned from all dirt, allowing the double sided tape to adhere.

Step 3: Prep the Lip

Unpackage the Garage Door Seal/Lip from package and stretch to Insure that it is free from defects.

Mock it up on the car to get proper alignment.

NOTE: Check the Orientation of the lip before installing the double sided tape. The tape needs to go on the side below, adjacent the small side.

Start about 1.5-2” from end of tape and place the Double Sided tape along the length of the lip.

One thing that helps with keeping a smooth curve around the bumper, is to cut the tape into 6” strips and place on the lip that will going around the curve. This prevents the tape from bunching up.

Step 4: Install Lip

It’s best to start at the fender and peal 3-4” at a time while installing the lip.

Follow the contour of the body and adjust as needed until you get the results you need.

Sorry No pics of this step. Since I was doing this alone, I didn’t have anyone to take pics of this process.

It’s pretty simple tho and you really can’t screw it up.

Step 4-1: Screw in Lip. (Optional )

This step is completely optional.

I only used 4 screws and washers. 1 screw at each end of the lip and 1 screw at the 2 major curves in the front bumper where the lip attaches. This will help prevent the lip from drooping later.

Step 5: Stand back and enjoy!

Mandatory Step! Gawk at the fruits of your labor! And realize that the whole thing cost about $20!!!

See less See more
#12 ·
RedTape: Nice instruction and it looks great!

I did it with out the tape. I loosened the screws and two bolts holding the bottom plating and mounted the rubber strip between it and the body and then screwed it back in place. Mine sits back further than yours does.
Here's a pix of how it came out:

And the thread I posed about it is here.
Hey that looks great bro! I never thought about doing that but hey if it works! Good job!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
People. Open up space for this man is a genius. I love ittttt. Thanks.

Reactions: RedTape
#19 ·
Looks good! subbing for a future project.

Reactions: RedTape
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.