2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The short story here is that we loaned our 1100 mile 2017 3 to a neighbor for two weeks while out of town, and 24 hours after returning, found the damage in the attached image to the front bumper.

I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do. I don't really want to have it repaired, as it'll be enormously expensive. Do ya'll think I can wash and then apply some sort of spot color? Is there any danger in not having the thing completely repainted?

The neighbor is actually now out of town, too, and so haven't been able to address with him. That said:

1) I can't 110% say he did it (though it is a very high likelihood)
2) Even if I did this to my own car, I'm not sure I'd want to repaint the entire bumper
3) I gotta get the neighbor to agree to repair the part of the interior he managed to jack up, too

Lesson: don't let this neighbor borrow the car again.

Anyway, suggestions on how to best handle the damage here would be appreciated. Thank you much!

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Are you honestly saying you would not recall doing something like that?

Your neighbor should have told you right away instead of letting you find out yourself. He should pay for it completely and you should have your like new car back, just like you loaned it out.

When I started reading your post, I though to myself am I rude never loaning my car, getting to the end of your post, absolutely not.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
If you don't get your neighbor to pay for the damage (I would!) Here's how I'd handle it:

Best option is a repaint if you want it to look perfect. No way around that.

The cheap way is to buff and then use touch up paint. Buff with a proper buffing compound that will cut the paint a little. Not wax. You'll have to spray water on it while buffing. If you overdo it, it'll be worse. What buffing doesn't fix use touch up paint. Real paint, not the crappy pens Mazda sells. I've used some stuff off Amazon for stone chips and it works well. I have the same colour btw.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For one thing this neighbor is not a very good neighbor that they would damage your new car inside and out and not just automatically tell you and pay for all repairs. How could someone damage a car with 1100 miles on it and not say anything to you. That person is of questionable morals to me. I am sure with that damage you would have known if you did it. They jacked up the interior so what makes you think they wouldn't have jacked up the front bumper. Did they tell you about the interior damage? If not I wouldn't lend them anything ever again.

Secondly I would have the entire bumper painted so they can sand it the right way to make it near perfect again.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The short story here is that we loaned our 1100 mile 2017 3 to a neighbor for two weeks while out of town, and 24 hours after returning, found the damage in the attached image to the front bumper.
Why on earth would you loan a brand-new car to a neighbor??? I wouldn't even loan my car to my sister (she has a big dog and her car is scratched up and dirty from the dog); I sure as hell wouldn't loan it to any neighbor. Never loan anything to a neighbor that you don't mind never getting back.

As for the damage, the only way to really fix that is with a complete repaint of that part of the bumper. If you want to DIY, go to paintscratch.com; you can buy a full kit of paint, clearcoat, etc. Of course, auto painting like this isn't trivial, so if you aren't experienced with painting I'd advise against that. (But if you're the type who has a Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun and compressor and has done spray-application projects before, it's doable.) If you're not at all comfortable with this kind of thing, you'll have to take it to a body shop. It isn't going to be cheap; just the materials from paintscratch.com cost well over $100, so you can imagine body shop prices are going to be a lot more than that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey all, thank you for the helpful advice.

A little context is probably useful... We live in Washington, DC and parallel park on the street. We were gone long enough so that the car would have to be moved because of street cleaning. Our neighbor doesn't have a car, so he agreed to move it, and we told him to feel free to use for a Costco run or whatever.

Street parking also increase the possibility that someone else did the damage while they were trying to park. Although, give how I know parking works on our street, that would be a bit of a stretch.

The good news is that much of the white paint has come off with a light cleaning. There's two spots that need the most attention, but I'm feeling better about the actual damage (at least, to the exterior) than I was before.

Still not feeling great about the neighbor, though. Next time, long term parking at the airport all the way.

·
Registered
988 Posts
After reading this thread, all I can say is don't be the good "neighbor", confront your neighbor in a civilized manner and find out what happened.

If he really did mess up your car then he should fix it. If he didn't then give him the benefit of the doubt.

In this world there are many bad people and I just don't understand why from your good deed you need to suffer...If you don't do nothing for yourself or in this case for your car nobody will.

Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
It looks like scuff marks that you can buff out. Try claybar if you dont have a polishing machine. The underlying primer, if it cut that deep, shouldn't stand out too much against the dark blue paint.

If it was parked on the right side of the sidewalk, there's no way another car would do that to that corner.

That's a piss poor neighbor if he did it. Another reason to get a dashcam. But if he refuses theres nothing you can do without proof, and I wouldn't ask insurance.

Really, though, if I have nobody to move my car, I'd eat the <$90 ticket even twice before I lend a new car to anyone. Or park it elsewhere with less hassle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts